Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Window 10 will not start

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 oxojohn

oxojohn

• Members
  • 139 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:52 PM

Posted 12 December 2016 - 12:07 PM

After having a Windows update about 2 weeks ago my computer has had problems starting, sometimes I had a little circle on the screen  going around and around, so I had to turn it off sometimes more than once to get it to boot up.

Now, unfortunately, all I get is a blue screen with the words.

Your PC needs to be repaired the application or operating system could not be loaded because a required file is missing or contains an error

FILE\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\WINLOAD.EXE

You will need to use recovery tools if you don't have a recovery media like a disk or USB device.

I do have a recovery tool that I downloaded to a USB and that gets me to an option to do a System restore, do a clean install or install windows without my programs and files that did not come loaded when I first purchased the computer.

I tried to do a System restore but it says that I have no restore points available? so I wondered if I could do a new Windows install and then use a Aomie clone of my computer that I have on a remote hard drive which I did only a couple of weeks ago, unfortunately, I do not have the bootable disk that I tried to make because every time I tried to burn a disk it got to 99% and refused to finish it off, I have just had a go with it to boot up but with no luck.

Would that be possible to use the Clone after installing a new copy of Windows and then be possible to reinstall the clone without losing any of my programs.

Any help would be much appreciated

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,664 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:52 PM

Posted 12 December 2016 - 02:08 PM

If by clone to a remote hard drive you mean a disk image then it would not be necessary to install Windows 10 first. Do you mean you you do not have access to a bootable aomei restore disk? You could reinstall Windows 10, install Aomei then start the image restore within Windows.

If you have a spare USB flash drive and another computer you could have Aomei create a bootable USB flash drive and use that to boot from. There is no need to burn a disk. If the USB flash drive does not boot make sure SecureBoot is disabled. Make sure you select the UEFI option during the creation of the USB flash drive.

What is the make and model of the computer with the problem?

http://www.backup-utility.com/features/create-bootable-disc.html

You can verify if your programs will be recovered by mounting your disk image to a virtual drive and exploring the contents in the Program Files folder.

http://www.backup-utility.com/features/image-file-explore.html

#3 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:52 PM

Posted 13 December 2016 - 04:05 AM

1. Insert the installation DVD or USB and boot Windows 10 from it.

2. In the ‘Windows setup’ page select the ‘language to install’, ‘Time and currency format’ and the ‘keyboard or input method’ and click on ‘next’.

3. Click on ‘Repair your computer’ and select ‘Troubleshoot’.

4. Click on ‘Advanced options’ and click on command prompt.
5. Run the following command from the command prompt and press enter.

bootrec /fixMBR

bootrec /fixboot

bootrec /rebuildbcd

Edited by FreeBooter, 13 December 2016 - 04:05 AM.

Posted Image

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,664 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2016 - 08:24 AM

Thanks FreeBooter. I didn't realize a Winload.exe error could be related to a corrupted BCD.

#5 oxojohn

oxojohn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 139 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2016 - 09:41 AM

2. In the ‘Windows setup’ page select the ‘language to install’, ‘Time and currency format’ and the ‘keyboard or input method’ and click on ‘next’.

bootrec /fixMBR

bootrec /fixboot

bootrec /rebuildbcd

Thanks for stepping in FreeBooter.

Reference.     Insert the installation DVD or USB and boot Windows 10 from it...... The computer was originally a Windows 7 machine and I used the free upgrade for Windows 10

so I have no CD or USB to use, sorry, is there a way around that.

John. 

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,664 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2016 - 11:32 AM

You can create a Windows 10 install DVD or USB flash drive using the Media Creation Tool.

#7 oxojohn

oxojohn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 139 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2016 - 01:14 PM

Many thanks, JohnC_21

With the desktop computer refusing to boot, would it be OK to create a Windows 10 install DVD/USB from my Windows 10

laptop, and then install it on my desktop to do the repair, even though the desktop refuses to boot up.

Sorry to ask all these questions but I am not very technically minded with computer's.

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,664 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2016 - 01:58 PM

Yes, you can create the Windows 10 USB on another Windows 10 computer. Just make sure you select the same version as what is installed on the computer that does not boot, Home or Pro. 

You would not be installing Windows 10 on the computer that does not boot. Only boot the Windows 10 DVD/USB flash drive and do the steps as outlined by FreeBooter.

#9 oxojohn

oxojohn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 139 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2016 - 02:23 PM

Thanks again JohnC_21 for the information, its been some time since I last used the laptop and its asked if I wanted to install the update since the first install of Windows 10, its doing so but very slowly.

Thanks again.

#10 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2016 - 04:34 AM

Thanks FreeBooter. I didn't realize a Winload.exe error could be related to a corrupted BCD.

You are welcome JohnC_21, this error can happen if BCD store is damage if you enter Bcdedit command you will notice Windows Boot Loader section has a reference to Winload.exe file.

bcdedit-480x450.png

Posted Image

#11 oxojohn

oxojohn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 139 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2016 - 02:43 PM

bootrec /fixMBR

bootrec /fixboot

bootrec /rebuildbcd

OK I have followed your instructions as above FreeBooter, and below are the findings.

bootrec  /fixMBR _operation completed successfully.

bootrec /fixboot _ The volume does not contain a recognized file system.

please make sure that all required file system drivers are loaded and that the volume is not corrupted.

x: \Sources>bootrec /rebuildbcd

Repairs critical disk structures. The following commands are supported

/FixMbr--writes the master boot record of the system partition using the master boot record compatible with Windows. This operation does not overwrite the existing partition table.

/FixBoot--write a new boot sector onto the system partition using the boot sector compatible with Windows.

ScanOs--scan all disks for installations compatible with Windows and display the entries that are currently not in the boot configuration store.

/RebuildBcd--scan all disks for installations compatible with Windows and allow the user to choose which to add to the boot configuration store.

#12 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2016 - 03:16 PM

Execute below command one at time.

Chkdsk C: /r

bootrec /fixboot

bootrec /rebuildbcd

Replace the C: drive letter with partition drive letter where Windows OS installed.

When computer boots into Window Recovery Environment the drive letter assign to Windows partition may not be C: drive letter because Windows 7, 8 , 8.1 and 10 creates a separate system partition when it's installed from scratch. The system partition contains boot files WinRE assigns the system partition the C: drive letter and the Windows installed partition will be assign any other drive letter usually D: drive letter is assign to Windows installed partition. The Bcdedit /enum | find "osdevice" command can be use to find out the drive letter of the Windows installed partition the output of the Bcdedit command is similar to this osdevice partition=D:. The drive letter after partition= is the drive letter of the Windows partition.

Posted Image

#13 oxojohn

oxojohn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 139 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2016 - 05:37 PM

Many thanks for your perseverance FreeBooter. I will get back to you.

John.

#14 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2016 - 09:08 PM

You are very welcome please let us know result of the commands!

Posted Image

#15 oxojohn

oxojohn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 139 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2016 - 06:21 AM

Sorry I have taken so long to reply FreeBooter, I am unsure of what to do next? and I did not want to do the wrong thing because I did not want to spoil all your other work.

It says at the end of where I am up to [Add installation to boot list? [Yes(Y)/No(N)/All(A) ]  which one do I put in.

At the end also it says  [Successsfully scanned Windows installations: 1 [1] F:\WINDOWS]    I don't know if its worth mentioning, I have 2 remote hard drives connected to the computer by USB's, one of them shows up as F when I click on (my computer)

Please find the results of where I am now, below.

Many thank again for your time.

Sorry, I have just remembered.

When this problem occurred on my computer I wondered how it could have happened and the reason why, now I think I may perhaps have the answer after reading your instructions to change the drive letter??

I decided to download a program that I read about in a computer magazine called Aomei that saves a copy of the computer's main drive in case anything goes wrong, so as not to lose everything, for the backup I chose it to be installed on one of my exterior hard drives, and after the process was finished

I checked in “my computer” that it had been installed in the right place, but noticed it had installed an extra drive letter including the one that I had instructed where to put the copy, so, me being a computer idiot I changed the drive letter to the same drive letter that I had downloaded the copy to, but after the change I noticed that it was changed but had the new drive letter at the side of it in brackets!

I am wondering if all this mess that I am in, is self-inflicted wounds!

WEB_MG_2095_zpsft1yfdrs.jpg

WEB_MG_2096_zpsyyzxntoc.jpg

WEB_MG_2097_zpsuraqgzh1.jpg

Edited by oxojohn, 16 December 2016 - 07:15 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users