Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Sound does not Work

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 onipar

onipar

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:03 PM

Posted 12 December 2016 - 12:02 PM

I recently installed a new SSD with Windows 10 Education on the drive.  The computer previously ran Ubuntu on the HDD, and sound worked.

Interesting notes:

• The headphone jack on the front of the computer *does* work.
  • When I booted back into the old Ubuntu OS, the sound there also didn't work, even though it used to.
  • There had been some sound issues prior to the new OS install.  Notably, the sound would sometimes begin to crackle and hiss.  Rebooting the computer would solve the issue, and it did not appear to be a wiring or connectivity issue. Perhaps this was just the on-board sound dying?  

Things I have tried:

• I have checked and rechecked all plugs and hookups.
  • tried installing new drivers from my motherboard site and elsewhere
  • tried right clicking the sound icon and choosing the "speakers" as default
  • checked and rechecked nothing is muted
  • stopped and restarted audio services
  • basically tried most fixes found online
  • made sure sound is enabled on the BIOS

I have two bookshelf speakers connected to a t-amp via speaker wire.  The t-amp is plugged into the black "rear" input on the computer.  It's the on-board sound chip for GIGABYTE GA-880GMA-USB3.

I just ordered a new sound card as I am about out of patience, but if I can get this fixed, I'll just return the card.

Thank you!!!

Edited by onipar, 12 December 2016 - 12:03 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bobjimmy123

bobjimmy123

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2016 - 12:08 PM

Do you have a different set of speakers you can try? That might seem stupid but it sounds like your sound setup is pretty advanced so I wouldn't be surprised if something isn't right there.

#3 onipar

onipar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2016 - 03:06 PM

Do you have a different set of speakers you can try? That might seem stupid but it sounds like your sound setup is pretty advanced so I wouldn't be surprised if something isn't right there.

That's probably a good idea, and I feel kinda silly for not thinking of it sooner.  I have to look around to see if I have any easy to plug in speakers... 

#4 onipar

onipar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2016 - 07:04 PM

Okay, well, the sound card arrived and the sound is working again, so I'll call that fixed. :-)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users