Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Newb question about LAN Party?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 cornflakes2

cornflakes2

• Members
  • 228 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:17 AM

Posted 12 December 2016 - 04:47 AM

I've always heard about this Lan Party but I've never tried it.  

I have 3 or 4 laptops/netbooks and 1 or 2 pc computers and I was trying to figure out

how I can hook them all up together to play multiplayer games, so that we are all in the same

room together but having our own devices to meet in game.

I know that another option (simpler?) is to just each have internet connection and login to some online

game that allows us to play together, but what is a LAN party?  Is that basically playing with other people

without using internet?  What kind of games are out there for kids/pre-teens where multiplayer function is

possible?

Thanks 

Edited by hamluis, 12 December 2016 - 06:11 AM.
Moved from Computer Gaming to Networking - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:17 AM

Posted 12 December 2016 - 01:14 PM

Is that basically playing with other people without using internet?

yes, i use to lan game all the time back in the days of 56k modems.

What kind of games are out there for kids/pre-teens where multiplayer function is

possible?

Sadly were not allowed to talk about 20 year old abandonware games here, so can't really recommend anything.

As for setting up a lan, you can get a used old 8 port or more network switch and connect that to the router for more ports, or if your router has connections to spare that can work too and wifi for the laptops.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Network_switch

#3 cornflakes2

cornflakes2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 228 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2016 - 07:29 AM

oh, so this LAN party idea is outdated and obsolete now?  Has it basically been taken over by bluetooth/wifi/internet?

I thought lan party would still be effective if you could have some games where multiplayers are allowed but each player

using their own computer and no internet required.

Edited by cornflakes2, 13 December 2016 - 07:30 AM.

#4 cornflakes2

cornflakes2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 228 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2016 - 07:31 AM

the main issue why I ask is because kids don't like to share one computer where one player has to use a mouse and another has to use the keyboard or they have to use the same keyboard (arrow buttons are one player and asdf buttons are another player)....it would be much better if they could use their own computer/laptop but somehow still be able to play the exact same game together.

#5 Xoctane

Xoctane

• Members
  • 114 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:17 PM

Posted 13 December 2016 - 07:58 AM

The point of a LAN party is everyone playing with each other in the same physical domain, and getting the lowest possible latency. Unlike internet, there is no "lag", so the experience is superior. Setting this up may be a nuisance.

You use a switch if your router lacks enough LAN ports, and connect the switch to the router, so they'll have internet; choose a game that allows direct connections to servers (like any Counter Strike, Team Fortress 2, etc.); and create a server with one of the computers (choose the most powerful one). It can be a dedicated or a listen server. Listen server being the one you create with the game client itself, while dedicated is a standalone program designed to host that game's server. Then have the kids connect to that server's IP address. There might be variation in the method between games, but that's the basic idea. Many games don't let you create a server yourself, so unfortunately, it's not possible in those cases.

I would recommend the simple way of connecting all the computers to the internet and letting the kids play whatever.

#6 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2016 - 10:57 AM

Use to junk out on Diablo II back in the day, that was fun.

only supports 4 player lans though.

#7 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,378 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:17 AM

Posted 13 December 2016 - 04:52 PM

LAN parties are pretty much dead these days.  As others said they were so that you could get the best possible experience because you were all on the same local area network (LAN).  Since most games are Internet enabled these days there isn't much purpose in hosting a LAN party.  Any game that you can host a server would be a good candidate for a LAN party. 

Games I used to play, Doom, Starcraft, Diablo II.  There were options in Doom where you could have different machines running different points of view so that you could have a surround view.

#8 Xoctane

Xoctane

• Members
  • 114 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2016 - 05:26 PM

LAN parties are pretty much dead these days.  

Ever heard of DreamHack, QuakeCon, or Insomnia?

#9 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,482 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:17 AM

Posted 13 December 2016 - 06:42 PM

Duke Nukem 3D is another oldie, but goodie. Back in the good old days if you wanted to play tournament or coop with your friends, you either "lan party" together on the same network, or connected to a server like TEN, Heat.net, Kali & others. Not sure if anyone here has heard of Tunngle, but you can connect over internet and use lan only games. Their software creates a special tun adapter to their server.

#10 cornflakes2

cornflakes2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 228 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2016 - 01:31 AM

Wow, this is interesting, thanks for the replies.  Aside from the list of games that some of you mentioned, are there more games that support LAN gameplay?

#11 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2016 - 01:37 AM

Thay all use to, now meny are online only.

#12 Xoctane

Xoctane

• Members
  • 114 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2016 - 05:49 AM

https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Dedicated_Servers_List

Here's a list of Dedicated Servers available from Valve's Steam.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users