Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Learning networking through a test

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Yodadoordonot

Yodadoordonot

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2016 - 02:57 AM

Hi guys, i have this task that i was given and i need a little help about it, with detailed explanation so that i can understand the whole image deeply.Thank you a lot in advance 😀

Task: I have two routers running DDWRT firmware (after market firmware) and I have one Internet modem with DHCP. I will need to daisy chain the two routers together. The Internet modem gateway ip address is 192.168.0.1 for local pan that plugs into the wan port of router 1.

One router will hold all Revel POS data (call it Revel router). The other router will just be free Internet access for the shop. Knowing this information how would you setup the system and what network IP's would go where on each interface. Note each router has 1 wan port and 4 switch ports. Access Point IP is 192.168.22.105 Subnet mask 255.255.255.0. iPad IP address is 192.168.22.110

Standard subnet: 255.255.255.0

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:20 AM

Posted 12 December 2016 - 01:41 PM

If the internet "modem" has a gateway of 192.168.0.1 then it is probably a gateway and not a modem. Which means you will have 3 routers in line, not 2, which is alot harder to do.  Was this a test set up by a teacher or something you are trying to accomplish? Never heard of a test question use the names of proprietary systems.

#3 Yodadoordonot

Yodadoordonot
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2016 - 05:23 PM

This is a test from a computer network customer service. Basically it shouldn't be a trick question. I figured out that isp cable goes to a modem, and from modem, i plug in both routers(if i'm right?), and then there is a tricky part, printers have ip adress that matches one router, and revel router is mentioned to be oriented towards POS, so i guess both printers go to revel router, and the other router is open for customers, but what do i do with these ip adresses and what about acess point?

#4 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,107 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:20 AM

Posted 13 December 2016 - 10:28 PM

I would get a router that supports VlANs and get rid of the second router (you can configure DDWRT as an access point). You can also configure DDWRT for VlANS. Is the revel software hosted on the router or are you just separating the networks for security?

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users