Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

System only powers when 8 in is not connected.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Articx_Tv

Articx_Tv

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:21 PM

Posted 12 December 2016 - 02:08 AM

I've made sure I have my standoffs installed correctly, the ram has been tried in all possible ways, the PSU is a 600w corsair that works in other systems, and my components are seated properly. 

My issue: When the 24 pin, and 8 pin are installed, the pc turns on for a nano second. It shuts off quickly after hitting the power button, and refuses to turn back on unless I re-plug the psu from the wall and flip the switch again causing it to turn off quickly yet again. However, when I remove the 8 pin cpu power, the system stays on, fans spinning, CPU fan running, Hard drives spinning, and even my GPU spinning.

The system only stays on when I have the cpu power OUT, regardless of configuration 

I have even tried removing the CPU and it still will start up for a micro second if the cpu-power is in.

I think my MOBO is dead. Can anyone second this?

The board is a MSI 970A-G46 AM3+
CPU - Fx-8350
Ram - 16gb of ballistix
PS - Corsair 600w

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:21 AM

Posted 12 December 2016 - 07:22 AM

The system only stays on when I have the cpu power OUT, regardless of configuration

By on im guessing from what iv read you mean the thing stays on and keeps the fans going but besides that not mouch is going on and you can't boot the computer in to a Os ?

Well when testing a mobo i run it with nothing well cpu + heat sink + 1 ram stick + psu, im just trying to get it to do something mode.

As well did you reset the bios to defalts ?

I have even tried removing the CPU and it still will start up for a micro second if the cpu-power is in.

Got a backup cpu ? as well what heat sink were you using ? CPU temps were normaly what under full load for 20 min with all cores being 100% load.

Was the system overclocked ?

#3 Articx_Tv

Articx_Tv
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2016 - 07:35 AM

By on im guessing from what iv read you mean the thing stays on and keeps the fans going but besides that not mouch is going on and you can't boot the computer in to a Os ?

Well when testing a mobo i run it with nothing well cpu + heat sink + 1 ram stick + psu, im just trying to get it to do something mode.

As well did you reset the bios to defalts ?

Got a backup cpu ? as well what heat sink were you using ? CPU temps were normaly what under full load for 20 min with all cores being 100% load.

Was the system overclocked ?

I tried clearing cmos and doing a barebones test. I dotn have an extra cpu and no os shows.

#4 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2016 - 07:57 AM

Errrrr not good, and ya seems you know what your doing, starting to smell like something dead.

Heat sink was what ?

Overclock yes/no ?

#5 Articx_Tv

Articx_Tv
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2016 - 07:28 AM

Errrrr not good, and ya seems you know what your doing, starting to smell like something dead.

Heat sink was what ?

Overclock yes/no ?

I found out the moffsets are dead. The entire array of them are in fact. I'm grabbing a new board, chip, and cooler just to be safe, luckily, I have the money to do so.

#6 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2016 - 11:02 AM

Ya they tend to put cheap moffsets on bords now i find, if they put qualty on the mobo you wouldn't need heat sinks on em.

Old moffsets on some of the relly old bords i have "A" were huge and "B" never needed cooling "C" didn't heat up in any case.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users