Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What is Avangate?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 harryhh

harryhh

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:40 PM

Posted 12 December 2016 - 12:18 AM

A few months ago I went to renew my Bitdefender anti-virus thru paypal. But, that process was intercepted by Avangate. It wanted me to do something like sign in thru Avangate which would apparently then sign into paypal. Not sure exactly what it wanted because I couldn't get to sign into paypal directly so I never finished the process.

I imagined that it was going to put some of my passwords into the cloud where every hacker on earth goes to steal things.

Anyway, to renew my bitdefender, I couldn't get past Avangate to use paypal. Eventually I had to directly use my debt card number with bitdefender to renew their product. The reason I use paypal is so that I don't have to give my debt card number to every Tom, Dick, and Joker out there. Bitdefender defeated that purpose.

Just a few minutes ago I was looking at some software that didn't have the option to pay by paypal, but did have Avangate.

What is a short explanation of Avangate? I've looked stuff up but it didn't tell me much. I most definitely don't want my passwords stored on someone else computer.

Harry

Can't keep up with the computer stuff anymore. It's getting beyond me.  :mellow:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garioch7

garioch7

RCMP Veteran

• Malware Response Instructor
  • 3,694 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:40 PM

Posted 12 December 2016 - 01:45 PM

harryhh:

Avangate is a digital commerce company like Digital River and others.  Bitdefender has contracted with them to handle their ecommerce (billing, payments, etc.).

You can find more information about Avangate at this link.

I have had Bitdefender for years, and have installed it for many friends.  I have not had any issues with the company.  The one major complaint about them, with respect to Bitdefender, was the default "auto-renewal", which is now easier to disable than previously, and shows on the Bitdefender payment screens, though in very small, greyed out type, that you have to click to switch it to manual renewal.  Auto-renewal means that you will always pay full price, whereas it is usually possible to get a discount, if you start looking a month or two before your Bitdefender product subscription expires.  That is what I do, and then Bitdefender just merges your remaining days into your renewed subscription.

Hope this helps.  Have a great day.

Regards,

-Phil

Member of the Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,399 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:40 PM

Posted 12 December 2016 - 06:54 PM

Sounds like a customer service company similar to Cleverbridge which manages payment, refunds, ID's and Keys for Malwarebytes and a few other security vendors.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#4 harryhh

harryhh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2016 - 08:25 PM

Thanks folks. It sounds just as you've said. A company that takes care of collecting money for other businesses and making payments to those businesses. That way, all these individual companies don't have to have individual infrastructure for bill collecting.

Currently, my passwords are stored on my computer in a heavily encrypted file. Passwords are auto-filled-in so that I don't even have to type them where a keylogger could get them. (If that's how that works.)

So, with Avangate as I understand it, I would have to sign up with them, give them my passwords to PayPal, my bank, and others sites, where they would be stored in the 'cloud', trying to fight off 18 million hackers daily.

Sounds like in one fell swoop the security of my money and personal information has literally just dropped to 10 percent of what it was.

So, I don't like Avantgate, or any other such company, and I will avoid doing business with them and the companies using something such as Avangate.

BTW, I like Bitdefender for their service and support, which seems to be some of the best I have encountered. Also, on more than one occasion, they have been very generous with giving extra days of anti-virus protection when they have accidentally caused me a problem.

Can't keep up with the computer stuff anymore. It's getting beyond me.  :mellow:

#5 garioch7

garioch7

RCMP Veteran

• Malware Response Instructor
  • 3,694 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:40 PM

Posted 13 December 2016 - 12:21 PM

harryhh: 

So, with Avangate as I understand it, I would have to sign up with them, give them my passwords to PayPal, my bank, and others sites, where they would be stored in the 'cloud', trying to fight off 18 million hackers daily.

So far as I know, Avangate stores only the information that you used to make a purchase of a product for which they are the ecommerce provider for the software manufacturer.  That would mean the details of one credit card; or, if you use Paypal, again, so far as I know, they would only know that you paid by PayPal, since you are redirected to the secure PayPal site to complete the transaction.

If the risks were as great as you believe them to be, I submit that the Forums would be full of complaints, and Avangate, and others like Digital River, Cleverbridge, etc., would have long since have closed up shop.

I, for one, have no issues continuing to purchase my Bitdefender renewals via Avangate.

Just my personal opinion, and not necessarily that of Bleeping Computer.

Have a great day.

Regards,
-Phil

Member of the Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,399 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2016 - 02:42 PM

Malwarebytes uses Cleverbridge for security reasons...most likely to keep their customer data base separate and apart from their web site, making the information more secure from hacking. Bitdefender probably does the same.

#7 HolyCowz

HolyCowz

• Members
  • 168 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:40 PM

Posted 13 December 2016 - 05:44 PM

Just use a disposable credit card you don't have to have real life details with them you can call your self anything you want and only put what you want to spend on the card once you spend it the card is dead. All legit and above board just costs you a % of what you put on the card.

There are a lot of hackers out there yes but just a small amount of the hackers out there are good enough to steal and then decrypt the data from these sorts of company's and then clean up after them selves not get caught either in the process of the hack or after that's not to say that they are not out there, but they can easily find much less tech savvy targets for much less effort and more gain.

I would bet as well that paypal is more desirable than credit card details $1-$3 for cards 30% of paypal account total I know what I'd go after if I was a bad guy but I'm to slow and a bit simple so i'd get caught that's for sure lol

Also I can't see a company like malwarebytes who know there stuff put there rep on the line or bitdefender and any other reputable antimalware/virus company.

There is one other method get a friend to get it for you on his/her card just bung them a sweetener.

#8 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,399 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2016 - 06:08 PM

#9 HolyCowz

HolyCowz

• Members
  • 168 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:40 PM

Posted 14 December 2016 - 10:29 AM

Hack trumps huh lol (has anyone done hacker trumps cards yet? haha)

surely nothing beats Yahoo: https://thehackernews.com/2016/09/yahoo-data-breach-billion.html

#10 harryhh

harryhh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2016 - 11:44 PM

Thank you folks for your replies.

I'm still not sure how Avangate actually works. But, if it wants my passwords to other sites to act as an intermediary, that's not for me. If it is going to be another PayPal, but somehow making my ecommerce more secure, I might go for that.

Paypal has kept my money and personal identity safe for years now. Unless Avangate and such can prove that they make ecommerce notably more secure, I have no need for them. I will continue to avoid doing business with companies that don't use Paypal. I much prefer to keep my exposed ecommerce footprint as small as possible.

#11 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,399 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2016 - 06:44 AM

You're welcome on behalf of the Bleeping Computer community.

#12 eik

eik

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:40 AM

Posted 21 July 2017 - 02:03 AM

Stay clear of Avantgate. If you run into a problem, they will tell you to contact the actual seller, who in return will tell you to contact Avantgate. And you'll be stuck in the middle, without the product you paid for and without your money. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users