Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ethernet not working

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 BryanGarbage

BryanGarbage

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:26 PM

Posted 11 December 2016 - 11:29 PM

So, I don’t really know what to say I just know I don’t really have the ability to connect to ethernet. I can connect to wifi but playing League of Legends on wifi is not really a good idea unless its veryy good wifi which I do not have. I am trying to be able to connect to ethernet but it isn’t working though I was able to connect like a month ago but I’m not sure what happened. I also live on campus. I think the problem has something to do with my network adapters, drivers, or maybe updates? Although I think that my drivers and adapters are already updated to the most recent versions but who knows I can be wrong.

If anyone has any solutions they would be appreciated.

TLDR: No ethernet connection but I do have wifi. Settings and information in the image linked. I live on campus if that matters at all so I don't have access to the router or whatever.

LaMWFjc.jpg

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ddeerrff

ddeerrff

Retired

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,733 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2016 - 12:00 AM

If you don't have access to the router, where are you plugging in the ethernet cable?  If you are on campus and legitamately using the schools internet, then your first choice for troubleshooting help should be the school IT department. 

Derfram
~~~~~~

#3 BryanGarbage

BryanGarbage
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2016 - 12:15 AM

If you don't have access to the router, where are you plugging in the ethernet cable?  If you are on campus and legitamately using the schools internet, then your first choice for troubleshooting help should be the school IT department. 

I called them before and they werent able to fix it so that is why I thought it was on my end. In my room there is a ethernet slot that I can plug into from there to my pc but idk why it isnt't working I just thought it was on my end like a software problem or something. 

#4 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2016 - 01:46 PM

Weren't able to fix it, or they refused to fix it? Those are two different things. Most School IT departments will only allow registered MAC address on the wired network to keep people from hooking up wireless routers of their own, which would conflict with the school's wireless. Have a friend or someone else try to plug into that ethernet. If they also can't get online, then its nothing with the computer, and is a issue with the network you are connecting to.

#5 BryanGarbage

BryanGarbage
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2016 - 10:23 PM

Weren't able to fix it, or they refused to fix it? Those are two different things. Most School IT departments will only allow registered MAC address on the wired network to keep people from hooking up wireless routers of their own, which would conflict with the school's wireless. Have a friend or someone else try to plug into that ethernet. If they also can't get online, then its nothing with the computer, and is a issue with the network you are connecting to.

Hmm not sure. I think he just wasnt able to fix it because he kept telling me to do the same thing over and over thinking it would work but nope. Gahh im an idiot i should have also mentioned that my laptop can get connected to the wired connection sorry! 

#6 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2016 - 08:04 AM

So if your laptop can connect wired, what can't? Are you gaming on a desktop? Either way, if one device can get online via ethernet, and not another, it probably is still your IT department. What did you have to do to get your laptop online wired for the first time?

#7 BryanGarbage

BryanGarbage
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2016 - 06:24 PM

So if your laptop can connect wired, what can't? Are you gaming on a desktop? Either way, if one device can get online via ethernet, and not another, it probably is still your IT department. What did you have to do to get your laptop online wired for the first time?

Im not sure neither of them work now. they seem to not be able to figure it out so i thought the problem was on my side but i guess it isnt 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users