Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win 7 License

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 bizman123

bizman123

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:45 AM

Posted 11 December 2016 - 07:32 PM

Need a little help here.  I have windows Vista that I understand will not be safe after APR, and would like to upgrade to win 7.  I don't really like the user interface on Win10. 

What is the cheapest route to a clean install and legal disc/license to do so??   

I surmise it might be Amazon or similar, but before somebody states that I need to understand what I am need to look for.  I am confused with all the options that I see when I go there.  I have seen anything from $30 to $100 with descriptions like OEM, System Builder, Upgrade, and the cheapest being "reinstall" which I know won't help me. 

I have one I bought on craigslist a year or so ago in a sealed envelope with activation Key that I didn't install because after I got it, I realized it was a 32 bit disc.  But I read on Microsoft forum that a product key is good for either version, and I have several win7 install discs. 

I stopped into my local mom & pop computer store, and they said they have win 7 OS's for $100 which seems like a lot for an outdated OS.  If I have to pay full retail for a new OS, I think I would just opt for the win10 and get used to it so it's a little future proof. 

Thanks, Kevin

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,395 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:45 AM

Posted 11 December 2016 - 07:49 PM

"OEM" and "System Builder" are the same type...install is tied to system, no legal reinstall possible on another system or motherboard.

I believe that's the version you want...all other versions will cost more and really not provide any special benefit for the increased monies, IMO.

Google can provide you with more details on the differing versions.

Louis

#3 bizman123

bizman123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:45 AM

Posted 12 December 2016 - 06:32 PM

Okay, so if I understand correct, I can by and legally use an OEM version from Amazon, I just can't reinstall on a different machine?   

That is fine as I don't plan to reinstall on anything else.  So if correct, that's what I will buy. 

Kevin

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,395 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:45 AM

Posted 12 December 2016 - 09:04 PM

Correct.

I've bought System Builder/OEM versions of Windows since 2000 or so, never saw the "benefit" of retail versions.  The loss of official Microsoft support...is not much of a loss, if any, IMO.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users