Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Use hard drive from laptop as primary drive in a new desktop

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 ayreon

ayreon

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2016 - 06:40 PM

When looking into how much it would cost to build a new pc i quickly realized the most expensive part would be the operating system. Is it possible to take a hard drive from a windows 7 laptop and use it as my primary hard drive so i wouldn't need a new OS or a hard drive??

Edited by hamluis, 11 December 2016 - 09:09 PM.
Moved from System Building to Win 7 - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,293 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:14 AM

Posted 11 December 2016 - 09:08 PM

Only if the components of the new system...are an exact match of the original system.

Licenses for Windows on OEM (HP, Dell, etc.) systems are not transferable to a different system or motherboard.

Louis

#3 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:14 AM

Posted 11 December 2016 - 09:30 PM

Or use linux, its free !

#4 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:14 PM

Posted 12 December 2016 - 02:51 PM

As your Windows 7 laptop very probably has Windows 7 licence sticker, you can use that product key for clean Windows 7 install. You just need to grab Windows 7 install DVD/files.

As for legal terms it just depends where you are living. Different countries, different laws.

#5 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:14 AM

Posted 12 December 2016 - 03:23 PM

If the Windows 7 is not an OEM, with lots of patience, I think you might be able to make it work.  The biggest problem will be drivers for devices in the desktop that were not in the laptop.

Edited by RolandJS, 12 December 2016 - 03:24 PM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users