Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

z170 skylake build doesn't post. lights/fans/storage disks turn on though

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 sterfri99

sterfri99

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:14 AM

Posted 11 December 2016 - 05:04 PM

hey everyone, long time lurker here with a problem I can't solve just by reading previous posts.

first off, this is my very first build ever. Odds are I screwed something pretty basic up that'll get fixed in 2 seconds... I hope. 

Specs:

i5-6600k

nzxt kraken x61 AIO watercooler

asus z1070 pro gaming

g.skill ripjaws 4 series 16gb(8x2) ddr4-3000

samsung 850 evo 250gb

WD blue 1tb hdd

asus geforce gtx 1080 8gb rog strix

fractal design define r5 blackout w/ window

evga supernova gs 550w 80+ gold certified psu

asus optical drive

120mm noctua fan

140mm noctua fan

intel 7260hmwdtx1 pci-e wifi adaptor

what works: 

mobo LEDs

GPU LEDs

optical drive

hdd and ssd both vibrate, so probably?

case fans

cooler LEDs and fans (don't know about pump)

psu, probably?

what doesn't work:

gpu fans (therefore the gpu, i presume)

mobo hdmi output

gpu hdmi output

(tested both with a working monitor and working HDMI cable)

don't know:

CPU

wifi adaptor

what i tried:

single RAM stick in the correct slot, only cpu, fans, and mobo plugged in

random questions:

1. I have some cables left over, not a clue if they're important, attached pics

pic 1, left to right: molex, ??, sata, molex, fan cables

pic 2, left to right: second gpu cable? second cpu cable?

2. the gpu cables look like 8-pin (psu end?) and at the other end 2 6x2 pin. my 1080 has a 6-pin and 8-pin receiver thingie... can I just plug the 6 part of the 6x2 into that, and leave the 2-pin part loose?

3. The mobo cpu cable attachment appears to be 8-pin. yet, my cpu cable is 8-pin at one end (psu end?) and 2x4 on the other. I attached the 2x4 into the mobo 8-pin, is that fine?

4. There were 2 cpu cables. one with a 4x2-pin at one end and one with 2 4x2-pin connectors. I used the first, as I only saw one 8-pin mobo receiver port thing.

pretty lost right now despite watching videos and tutorials and reading all the manuals. any and all help will be appreciated. I'll be around to answer questions and try things out all day. thanks in advance, people. Let me know what to taker pics of. Sorry if this is too much or too little info :/

kj6WHQH.jpg

hkQ9t38.jpg

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:14 AM

Posted 11 December 2016 - 06:10 PM

You should just run the mobo on a test bench with only one stick of ram + psu + cpu + heat sink and see if you can get it to post,try one stick of ram in every slot the mobo has if nothing then the next stick of ram,same deal you should be able to tell a feu things from that from, can't seem to be able to see a Pc mini speaker on that thing, if it dosuen't have one connect one if possable for bios beep codes.

btw your bord is a asus z170 pro gaming not 1070, typo ?

Edited by shadow_647, 11 December 2016 - 06:26 PM.

#3 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:14 AM

Posted 11 December 2016 - 06:14 PM

You dont have backup parts do you ?

#4 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,402 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:14 AM

Posted 12 December 2016 - 02:47 PM

For random questions:

Pic 1: Molex, looks like PCI Express 2*6 pin on other side, SATA, molex to floppy adapter, fan extension cable, fan splitter (one fan connector to 2 fans)

Pic 2: leftmost connector may be 8 pin motherboard connector, next two are PCI Express 6+2 connectors, next two not sure, rightmost is 2*4 pin motherboard EPS12V connector.

Cannot say about that PSU side but for graphic card yes, you can left 2 pins loose from 8 pin connector when GPU has 6  pin.

That connection should be fine. Again cannot be sure about PSU end but you should not be able to put wrong cables on PSU end.

Sounds like OK.

More pictures from motherboard/video card connector side may help. PSU connector side is not standard.

Edited by Drillingmachine, 12 December 2016 - 02:48 PM.

#5 sterfri99

sterfri99
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2016 - 12:02 AM

You should just run the mobo on a test bench with only one stick of ram + psu + cpu + heat sink and see if you can get it to post,try one stick of ram in every slot the mobo has if nothing then the next stick of ram,same deal you should be able to tell a feu things from that from, can't seem to be able to see a Pc mini speaker on that thing, if it dosuen't have one connect one if possable for bios beep codes.

sorry, had an extremely busy 4 days at work.

Since the last time I tried to start it up, fans now don't spin when connected to any of the CHA_FAN ports on the mobo. case fans, cooler fans. nothing. I suspect a bad board. what kind of speaker can I use to hear the beep codes? would headphones work?

and yes, that was a typo

You dont have backup parts do you ?

first/only build, so no... :(

For random questions:

Pic 1: Molex, looks like PCI Express 2*6 pin on other side, SATA, molex to floppy adapter, fan extension cable, fan splitter (one fan connector to 2 fans)

Pic 2: leftmost connector may be 8 pin motherboard connector, next two are PCI Express 6+2 connectors, next two not sure, rightmost is 2*4 pin motherboard EPS12V connector.

Cannot say about that PSU side but for graphic card yes, you can left 2 pins loose from 8 pin connector when GPU has 6  pin.

That connection should be fine. Again cannot be sure about PSU end but you should not be able to put wrong cables on PSU end.

Sounds like OK.

More pictures from motherboard/video card connector side may help. PSU connector side is not standard.

awesome! thanks for all that!

#6 sterfri99

sterfri99
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2016 - 12:21 AM

wait... I just realized that the RAM I have isn't on the QVL list. The pcpartpicker # is F4-3000C15D-16GRK, which isn't supported apparently. Also, it seems that almost every single QVL RAM is 4 sticks. Is non-QVL RAM the probable reason for no post? Also, I would've thought that pcpartpicker during its compatibility check would've caught that.

#7 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,402 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:14 AM

Posted 16 December 2016 - 04:16 AM

wait... I just realized that the RAM I have isn't on the QVL list. The pcpartpicker # is F4-3000C15D-16GRK, which isn't supported apparently. Also, it seems that almost every single QVL RAM is 4 sticks. Is non-QVL RAM the probable reason for no post? Also, I would've thought that pcpartpicker during its compatibility check would've caught that.

QVL lists are 100% useless so PC Partpicker does not consider them at all. Reason for no post is not memory missing from QVL list. It may be broken memory stick but that has nothing to do with QVL list.

Check that CPU socket pins are OK (or put picture from CPU socket).

#8 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:14 AM

Posted 16 December 2016 - 08:32 AM

The QVL is only what the manufacturer has tested in their labs, equivalent parts from other manufacturers, such as Crucial RAM instead of Kingston, will still work.  PCPartPicker has its own issues, but those components should work.

Have you tested the PC to see if it is the Nvidia GPU not working?  Skylake CPU's have integrated GPU's and you can test without the add-in GPU.

Have you checked the CPU and socket pins to see if anything is bent or not looking quite right?

Have you double checked all of your connections inside the case to make sure they are completely inserted and not just partially?

Have you confirmed that everything that needs to be plugged in is, such as both the power and SATA cables on the hard drives and not just one or the other?

You are using a modular PSU, so you should have cables left over for components you aren't using.  Is supplemental power plugged into the GPU?

3939.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users