Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Email address has no mx records configured

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 brunel

brunel

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:14 AM

Posted 11 December 2016 - 03:11 PM

Hi, I'm wondering if anyone can help me? I am trying to register on a website and it comes up with an error message:

'Email address has no mx records configured'

I'm using a free email service from Zoho Mail. Is there anyway I can change my mx records? I don't really understand the error. What are mx records?

Many thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:14 PM

Posted 12 December 2016 - 12:17 PM

What is the email domain? A MX record is a kind of DNS record that tells your computer where to go to find email for that domain.

Edited by Trikein, 12 December 2016 - 12:18 PM.

#3 brunel

brunel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:14 AM

Posted 12 December 2016 - 02:29 PM

Its just a free Zoho account, so its @zoho.com. I've no idea what the domain is.

#4 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:14 PM

Posted 12 December 2016 - 06:02 PM

A domain is the name of the website, or in this case, email server. IE bleepingcomputer.com or zoho.com. Think of DNS being like telephone information (in the US 411) but instead of people's names and their phone numbers, it gives information about websites(domains) and their matching IP addresses. The domain > IP record is called the "A" record. The domain > mail server is called the MX record. Below is the MX record for zoho.com or see here for easier to read format:

Pref Hostname IP Address TTL   10 smtpin.zoho.com 204.141.32.120 5 min Blacklist Check      SMTP Test 20 smtpin2.zoho.com 216.52.72.120 5 min Blacklist Check      SMTP Test 50 mx3.zoho.com 216.52.72.252 5 min Blacklist Check      SMTP Test

Running some simple tests, I see the the domain is missing the "demarc" record and the SMTP server failed to connect. What website are you trying to register for? The domain DOES have a MX record, but it's missing some parts the website might be checking to make sure it's valid. Many websites will have systems that check if a email is fake, and sometimes free email addresses can set these systems off by accident. 

Edited by Trikein, 12 December 2016 - 06:03 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users