Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

reformatting hard drive problem

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 kmonkey

kmonkey

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:35 PM

Posted 11 December 2016 - 02:48 PM

I looking to reformat my hard drive in order to wipe everything. I have a lenovo x220 with windows 7. To reformat, this lenovo requires a windows disk (which I do not have), and refuses to boot off of my windows, rufus made, USB. When I attempt to boot off of it, I get to the boot menu, select the USB and the screen goes black for a few seconds and returns to the boot menu. This is shown here: http://imgur.com/a/5F5a7 (I have attached these photos as well as I don't know which is prefered on this forum)

I have attempted this with a USB made through Rufus, bootcamp assistant on my mac, as well as ImageUSB, with identical results. Additionally I have played around with the BIOS boot settings to no avail. I have attempted with the USB plugged into both USB3 as well as USB2 ports, again with the same results.

Does anyone know what might be doing on here?

thank you, 

frustrated Kaffe

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,287 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2016 - 04:13 PM

Since it's a laptop...restoring it to factory defaults should be preferred over a wipe/install effort, IMO.

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-X-Series-Laptops/X220-Factory-Reset/td-p/1223659

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 11 December 2016 - 04:14 PM.

#3 kmonkey

kmonkey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2016 - 04:31 PM

unfortunately I do not have a recovery partition, and I cannot find a way to factory restore without one. Do you have any thoughts on how to do so?

#4 HolyCowz

HolyCowz

• Members
  • 168 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:35 AM

Posted 11 December 2016 - 04:46 PM

Can you not make a bootable iso on your mac?

There is a how to on apples support page or this you tube video explains how.

Windows 7 iso download

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows7

Apple support

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT203909

you tube how to

#5 kmonkey

kmonkey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2016 - 04:56 PM

So I made a bootable ISO, the problem is that it doesn't actually boot off of it. If you look at the attached images they (badly) depict what happens. I get to the menu where I can select what to boot off of. I select the inserted bootable USB, and hit enter. The screen goes black for a few seconds followed by it returning to the same menu. 

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,439 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:35 PM

Posted 11 December 2016 - 05:50 PM

Is there a Startup tab in your BIOS settings. Look for something called Legacy or CSM Boot and make sure that is enabled. It may be under a Boot submenu of Startup. Is the the X220 notebook or tablet?

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,287 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2016 - 05:55 PM

You have a valid license for Win 7U on that system?

Louis

#8 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:35 PM

Posted 11 December 2016 - 06:33 PM

You dissabled UEFI bios on that thing ? thing is basicly hardware DRM and if it dousen't like whatever your trying to boot well you know what happens next.

#9 kmonkey

kmonkey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2016 - 07:14 PM

@shoadow_647 and @JohnC21 I enabled legacy only (so not UEFI) and got the same results

@hamluis Yes, the operating system currently on the computer is what was on it when it was legally bought, and the software on the USB was legally downloaded through my university store, with a activation key. Although I haven't gotten to the stage of being asked to input that key yet.

Thank you for taking the time to reply everyone!

#10 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:35 PM

Posted 11 December 2016 - 07:30 PM

So I made a bootable ISO, the problem is that it doesn't actually boot off of it. If you look at the attached images they (badly) depict what happens. I get to the menu where I can select what to boot off of. I select the inserted bootable USB, and hit enter. The screen goes black for a few seconds followed by it returning to the same menu.

When you tryed the ISO meaning a DVD im guessing was it the same win7 deal ?

As well have you tryed to boot off other things besides that win7 deal ? like a live linux boot dvd/freedos cd etc ?

#11 HolyCowz

HolyCowz

• Members
  • 168 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:35 AM

Posted 12 December 2016 - 03:07 PM

Hello.

Ok after having a careful look I think it may be your usb iso you created. I made one incorrectly on purpose to see what would happen and it did the same as you describe.

So what I would do now in your shoes is to first reset my bios to default settings and then make usb hdd 1st in the boot order.

Then again make the bootable iso getting the iso from the official microsoft link.

Create it as an iso and most iso tools have a validation check at the end make sure this process completes to validate it is ok.

Then give it another whirl.

Just a silly question to ask at the bootable bit where it says hit any key to load from disk... you are hitting the key so it boots from said drive sorry for the silly question but just need to check.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users