Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

1gb Fiber internet to one ethernet and out the other to a router

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 stealthrtt

stealthrtt

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2016 - 01:39 PM

Hey all I am wondering if there were any way to bring in my FTTH ethernet cable to one of my ethernet jacks on my motherboard and use the motherboards 2nd ethernet jack as an out that goes into the router.

Reason being is that the router currently does not have any gigabyte ethernet ports (WAN/LANs) and since I am getting the 1gb up/down connection then I would like to do this so that I can skip purchasing a new router and also have full speed of the fiber ethernet cable into the computer motherboard.

The motherboard has 2 ethernet jacks that are 10/100/1000 so it will handle the connection just fine. I plan on running Windows server 2016.

How would I do this?

Edited by stealthrtt, 11 December 2016 - 01:41 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:50 AM

Posted 11 December 2016 - 01:56 PM

The physical(10/100/1000) connection wouldn't be the problem, but I don't see how the Internet Connection Sharing software n the PC could pass traffic at 1Gbps. IMO it would slow the throughput and could cause all kinds of issues. Also, if you turned off that computer, your entire network would go down. You could bridge the connection instead, but then the PC wouldn't have access to the connection. 

#3 toofarnorth

toofarnorth

• Members
  • 390 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:50 AM

Posted 12 December 2016 - 10:27 AM

if you are running 2016 server you could do it with virtualization

download a linux based firewall, eg https://www.sophos.com/en-us/products/free-tools/sophos-utm-home-edition.aspx

make one virtual switch that is connected to the internet and one that is behind the firewall in the sophos virtual machine

Attached File  virtuell sophos brannmur.png   31.79KB   0 downloads

hth!

tfn

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users