Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Networking A Netgear Ps121 Print Server

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 novello

novello

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:49 AM

Posted 27 August 2006 - 12:08 PM

Hello everyone
This is my first time on this website, I found this site through Google search. I have a Netgear Ps121 print server that I bought without the installation CD. I downloaded the driver from Netgear website and still cannot get it to install does anyone have a installation cd that will do it all for me. Or do you know how I can get hold of one, I rang Netgear and they will not send or sell me the cd. Or can anyone guide me on how to do this, I want to share my printer with 5 computers all running windows xp.
Hope someone can help. :thumbsup:
thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Joshuacat

Joshuacat

01001010 01000011

• Members
  • 1,950 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:49 AM

Posted 27 August 2006 - 08:49 PM

Welcome to Bleeping Computer, novello:

Here's some info that I found for your print server. This should be enough to get you going.
From the PS121 Setup Wizard Release Notes - http://kbserver.netgear.com/release_notes/d102759.asp
I believe this is equivalent to having the installation CD. Is this the file that you downloaded?(bottom of the website pasted above)

Setup for Windows XP or Windows 2000

1) Download and unzip the upgrade file from the link below to a convenient place such as your desktop. Three folders are created (these folders can be deleted once the setup of the print server and the computer are finished).
2) If this is the initial setup of the print server or if you want to change the print server settings, double-click setup.bat in setup_WinNT_XP_2000 directory. This launches the Print Server Setup Wizard.
3) If you are configuring a new PC to share the printer, double-click addport.exe in addprinter_for all OS directory. This launches Netgear Add Printer Port Wizard.
4) When setup completes, close the DOS windows created by the utility.

Main page for your print server - PS121 USB Mini Print Server info
Here's the installation guide for your print server - Installation Guide

Hope that helps,
JC

#3 novello

novello
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2006 - 02:50 AM

Hi.
Yes that is what I have downloaded. I have managed to install on one computer and done a test page but when I try and print anything it won't print it just goes to save in files. I also don't know how to connect my other computers to the print server. I have tried to do it using windows xp wizard and cannot get it work. The user guide tells you to put in cd and run the wizard. It gives no instruction on how to do it without the cd. Most of the files that have been downloaded will not open the dll files cannot be opened is the message I keep getting.Do you know where I am going wrong.???

#4 novello

novello
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2006 - 03:05 AM

I have just had another go at setting this up and when I go to No2 in the quote above double-click setup then setup bat then run nothing happens it just goes back to page with all the files on. You do see a dos page for a split second then it is gone. Is this where my problem is????

Edited by novello, 28 August 2006 - 03:09 AM.

#5 Joshuacat

Joshuacat

01001010 01000011

• Members
  • 1,950 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2006 - 07:34 AM

Just confirm a few things...

So on the first computer that you set this up on(PC1), the test page worked?
You tried to print from an application, and it tried to print to a file? Do you have the Print to File checked on. (this will show up after you click File, Print, in an application)Mine shows up underneath the Properties Button.

This is what it says for adding another computer...

3) If you are configuring a new PC to share the printer, double-click addport.exe in addprinter_for all OS directory. This launches Netgear Add Printer Port Wizard.

Hope that helps.
JC

#6 novello

novello
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2006 - 09:56 AM

Yes to the first question.
No to the second question.
I have just tried to print again and it says printing but it is not and yes the printer is on.
The light is also on, on the print server.
I have also done as in the quote and still will not print from any computer.

#7 Joshuacat

Joshuacat

01001010 01000011

• Members
  • 1,950 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2006 - 06:40 PM

More questions...

What is the exact make and model of your printer?
What is the exact make and model of the network device that you are connecting the print server to?
Did you assign a static IP address to the print server?
Can you log into the print server via your web browser?(using the IP address, or name)
Do you have a firewall installed on your computer?
What exactly do you have listed when you try to print?

Edited by Joshuacat, 28 August 2006 - 06:45 PM.

JC

#8 novello

novello
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2006 - 01:14 PM

:thumbsup: I have sorted it at last. A friend came last night and showed me how to do it.
Thanks for all your help and advise Joshuacat, you were very helpful :flowers:
The problem was the ip address.

Edited by novello, 30 August 2006 - 01:15 PM.

#9 Joshuacat

Joshuacat

01001010 01000011

• Members
  • 1,950 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2006 - 01:30 PM

Thanks for letting us know. That was definitely the type of problem that I would have liked to be physically there to try things. Sometimes it gets difficult when you are working with too many unknowns.

Anyways, I am glad you got it to work.

:thumbsup:
JC

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users