Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 8 Choose an option freezes, can't get "in" any other way?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 lalix89

lalix89

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2016 - 07:20 AM

Hi Guys,

I've recently been given a laptop to fix and it's driving me insane! It's a Toshiba Satellite L50D-B-16T and it's stuck in an auto recovery loop. You turn it on, it starts auto recovery and goes to the Windows 8 "Choose an option" screen with options such as use a usb device to recover or reset your PC. Only problem is none of the options do anything, it just freezes and you have to do a hard shutdown.

I have tried every single function key on boot to try and "get in" but none of them work, I've heard this is due to Windows 8 quick boot but from what I've read online in order to actually disable it you need Windows to boot. I've also tried holding 0 while turning the laptop on (apparently this is a Toshiba thing) which gave me false hope, it asked if I wanted to restore the system, I press yes the screen disappears and then I get the same "Choose an option" screen. Absolute nightmare.

Does anyone know of any way I can get in to this system without removing the hard drive and wiping it? I am going to wipe the hard drive anyway because I can't stand Windows 8 but would prefer not to remove the HDD if possible. If anyone even has a way to boot from CD then I can wipe it and install Windows 7?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,630 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:06 PM

Posted 11 December 2016 - 08:55 AM

You can wipe the drive with a Windows 7 install disk if that is something you want to do. Is there any data you need off the hard drive?

#3 lalix89

lalix89
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2016 - 09:31 AM

I have a Windows 7 install disc in there at the minute, that was my plan. The problem is I can't find any way to load the disc before the operating system, as I said in my original post none of the function keys do anything so I can't get to a boot selection menu or bios, nothing.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,630 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2016 - 09:39 AM

You need to disable SecureBoot in the UEFI settings or the disk will not boot. The Windows 7 is also required to be 64bit. You will not be able to boot Windows 7 with SecureBoot enabled as it does not have the required certificate.

You need to get to UEFI settings by tapping F2 quickly after cold booting the computer.

https://aps2.toshiba-tro.de/kb0/TSB2B03F30002R01.htm

Once you get Windows 7 to boot then I can give instructions on wiping the disk. If you cannot get Windows 7 to boot or access the UEFI settings with F2 then there is the option to clean install Windows 8.1 using the media creation tool to create a Windows 8.1 install disk. This will boot with SecureBoot enabled.

#5 lalix89

lalix89
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2016 - 09:46 AM

I just tried F2 and managed to get to bios, really thought I had tried that already.

I have found the boot mode and it has "UEFI Boot" selected in the dropdown but it's grayed out (disabled) so I can't change it, any ideas why?

Nevermind, just figured it out. I'll let you know how I get on. Thanks so much for your help :-)

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,630 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2016 - 09:51 AM

You want UEFI mode but you should disable SecureBoot under Security. It may be necessary to create an Administrator Password in the UEFI settings before it lets you disable SecureBoot. 

#7 lalix89

lalix89
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2016 - 11:44 AM

SecureBoot was always disabled but UEFI mode wouldn't let me boot from disc at all so it needs to be off.

I'm not entirely sure why but it booted in to the recovery mode without freezing after I had tried to install windows and formatted + deleted the partition. I was able to open DOS and convert the partition to MBR (the reason I had to come out of Windows 7 install, wouldn't let me install on a GPT partition) and now it looks like it's installing as expected.

Thanks again for all your help, this has probably been my worst "please can you fix my laptop". I will never buy a Toshiba lol.

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,630 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2016 - 11:57 AM

Your Welcome,

Glad you sorted it out. In case you decide to later install Windows 7 on a UEFI computer the following may work for you.

This should get Windows 7 booting in UEFI mode. 

Download Imgburn and read the Windows 7 disk to create a bootable iso file. Imgburn defaults to a bin file so use the dropdown box to select iso file. Use a read speed of no faster than 4X if possible. Download Rufus to create a bootable USB flash drive.

Rufus Instructions:

Run Rufus with the USB flash drive attached. Select GPT partition scheme for UEFI. Leave all boxes as checked. Where FreeDos is shown in the dropdown box select iso image, click the icon, and browse to the Windows 7 iso file. Press Start. Any data on the flash drive will need to be backed up as the drive will be formatted.

On the Toshiba attach the flash drive, boot and tap F12. This should bring up a boot menu where you can select the flash drive.

http://support.toshiba.com/sscontent?docId=98080545

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users