Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Many files missing on windows 8 ssd after hdd upgraded to windows 10

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 thejesterthejester

thejesterthejester

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:40 PM

Posted 11 December 2016 - 07:14 AM

My hdd and ssd were both on windows 8 last night, and then I upgraded the hdd to windows 10 with the intention of doing the same to the ssd later. The ssd has ~350gb of steam games on it, and this is still reflected when looking at the disk in explorer or looking at its properties. However, after the hdd was upgraded to windows 10, all of those games are no longer there as far as I can tell, even though the ~350gb is still being used on the disk. I tried looking in every folder on the ssd (it's new, not much to look through) and I can't find these files. I turned on hidden files and folders and looked in the recycle bin, nothing.

I could upgrade the ssd to windows 10 to see if that would fix it but I'm hesitant because this issue occurs when booting through both the hdd and ssd; even when booting directly to the ssd I still can't find them. I'd really rather not have to format and redownload all those games if possible, but I'm not sure what to do here.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,019 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:40 PM

Posted 11 December 2016 - 09:18 AM

I would not write or boot to the Windows 8 drive and I would not try and update to Windows 10. Windows 10 has been know to mess with partitions. Boot into Windows 10. Open Disk Management. Are there any partitions on the Windows 8 disk that show RAW or unallocated?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users