Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

AVG replaced by McFee

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Sigord

Sigord

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:50 AM

Posted 11 December 2016 - 04:42 AM

After over a year of tolerating errors with AVG and having to reinstall it due the failure of updates to solve the problem I have now replaced it with McFee as this time reinstalling AVG because updates failed to cure the error. To judge by Google AVG Problems I am not the only one. Also an offer by AVG to reimburse subs once you remove it seems to have vanished on the AVG site. To this day I have never found online a simple way to reinstall AVG which is to first use the AVG remover then install the Free version. Then only afterwards use Support to enter yourt licence. There was a system to ask for an email to be sent to you with the licence details.

I found McFee to be far more comprehensive such as a choice of a quick scan or a very slow and thorough scan, which I understand could take all nigh,t but has the option to close down the PC afterwards. I can also use it on other PCs for free. A problem with MS Office Outlook causing it to freeze for a minute seems to have cleared, and it seems I may now have to instruct McFee to check for updates instead of risking corrupting them by turning the PC off while not noticing an automatic update is in progress.

Edited by Sigord, 11 December 2016 - 04:45 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,939 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:50 PM

Posted 11 December 2016 - 08:12 AM

I have been disappointed with AVG ever since they made a decision in April 2010 to partner with LimeWire and promote the use of peer-to-peer (P2P) file sharing, a security risk which can make your system susceptible to a smörgåsbord of malware infections, remote attacks, and exposure of personal information. More recently (September 2015), is was reported that AVG privacy policy update allows it to sell your browsing history...meaning AVG allows the collection and sale of personal information relating to browsing history, searches, location and meta-data and sharing that data with affiliated partners, search providers and resellers.

There have been reports of AVG exposing and collecting personal data.

There have been numerous complaints about issues and conflicts with other security tools.

There have been reports of issues with the computer starting properly on 64-bit Windows sytems. There have been numerous reported problems with computers after using features like PC Analyzer and AVG PC TuneUp which purport to fix registry errors and various optimizing tweaks which make changes to system settings. Bleeping Computer DOES NOT recommend the use of registry cleaners/optimizers for several reasons...read Why you should not use Registry Cleaners and Optimization Tools. In addition, the use of cleaning and tuneup utilities installs numerous files, folders and registry entries throughout the operating system making removal of the anti-virus software more difficult.

There have been complaints of AVG Secure Search and AVG Security Toolbar repeatedly being reinstalled after AVG updates itself even though users intentionally choose to remove them. And finally there have been many user complaints about the lack of adequate AVG Customer Support in addressing issues related to the use of their product.

For these reasons, I no longer recommend AVG as a free alternative anti-virus solution.

BTW, you may want to read...

If folks are looking for a free alternative I generally recommend recommend either Sophos Home Free Antivirus or Bitdefender Anti-virus Free Edition if they prefer not to use Windows 10 Defender.

For those who do not mind a paid for product, I generally recommend ESET NOD32 Anti-Virus or Emsisoft Anti-Malware as they leave a small footprint...meaning they are not intrusive and do not utilize a lot of system resources. Kaspersky Anti-virus is also a good choice for the same reason.

For more suggestions see Choosing an Anti-Virus Program which includes more details why Windows Defender Antivirus with Exploit Guard designed to protect against ransomware attacks is a very good choice.

Keep in mind that all free Anti-virus programs now come with toolbars or other bundled software except Bitdefender Free, Sophos Home, Microsoft Security Essentials, and Windows 8/10 Defender.

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users