Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help with call center setup, dropped voip calls

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Emiliano81

Emiliano81

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2016 - 08:17 PM

I have a client that has a small call center with about 25 computers, at any given time 15-20 people are making voip calls (both in desktop and voip phones). during peak times the network slows down to a crawl and many calls are dropped. They have comcast business gateway (250/30 plan I believe) in bridge mode connected to one netgear ROUTER (R6400). 1 port of the router goes to a server (domain controller, that assigns DHCP and DNS).  1 port of router connected to a 24 port unmanaged tplink gigabit router and from the switch to the different wiring in the office. what can be the bottleneck in this scenario?!?! I was thinking maybe they need to upgrade the switch to a managed switch?

Attached Files

Edited by Emiliano81, 11 December 2016 - 12:08 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:30 PM

Posted 11 December 2016 - 10:10 AM

Do you have logs you can check that will show why the calls dropped? If not, try wireshark. 

Also, do the dropped calls happen at the same time for all the phones or is it random? Does it happen more at certain parts of the day? Do you lose internet connectivity when the calls drop? What about the server?

Also, what does "other wiring in the office" consist of?

#3 Emiliano81

Emiliano81
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2016 - 05:41 PM

Do you have logs you can check that will show why the calls dropped? If not, try wireshark. 

Also, do the dropped calls happen at the same time for all the phones or is it random? Does it happen more at certain parts of the day? Do you lose internet connectivity when the calls drop? What about the server?

Also, what does "other wiring in the office" consist of?

Not sure how to get logs..they use a web based voip dialer, Ill have to contact the company. The dropped calls happen usually when everyone is making calls (20+ users simultaneously) they happen randomly on some computers..it seems to be a lack of bandwidth problem. The internet doesn't go off it just gets slow when everyone is calling. They have Comcast Business plan 250Mbps/30Mbps, I'm not sure if the 30Mbps upload speed is enough for 20+ voip calls? Also the main switch the connects the whole office to the modem, is a TP-Link 24 port unmanaged switch witch I don't think has QOS built in, would upgrading to a better switch that prioritizes Voice data help? The only thing connected is 25 desktops, 2 laser printers, 1 server, 9 VOIP phones, and mobile devices via wifi.

Edited by Emiliano81, 11 December 2016 - 05:54 PM.

#4 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:30 PM

Posted 12 December 2016 - 01:51 PM

" I'm not sure if the 30Mbps upload speed is enough for 20+ voip calls?"

Need to find out if the VOIP clients use static or dynamic bandwidth. If static, it's easy to calculate how much bandwidth 20+ calls take. 

" would upgrading to a better switch that prioritizes Voice data help?"

It's too soon to be buying anything. You need to collect data on the problem first. Can you check your firewall logs? Or the server logs? Otherwise it's guess work, which isn't how one should troubleshoot business problems.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users