Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to Boot USB Drive in Secure Boot Mode (UEFI)

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 HP-HoardersPassed

HP-HoardersPassed

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:27 AM

Posted 10 December 2016 - 07:38 PM

HP Notebook 15-f009wm

Hello all,

This is my problem:

I can't get my USB drive to load while in Secure Boot mode and continue running into 'Boot Device Not Found. Please install an operating system on your hard disk' screen. The only method that works thus far is disabling Secure Boot mode and enabling Legacy Support. Here are the methods I have tried based on extensive research of various forums after several days:

- Performed all the generic System Diagnostic tests (F2) + Memtest86 + sfc /scannow multiple times after every fresh install + physically checked HDD. Performed all HP recommendations: http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01443463

- Did multiple fresh installs of Windows 8.1 with Bing (32 bit) erasing all partitions from hard drive every time (my system is designed for 64 but I only have access to a 32 ISO). Installed using Legacy Support (I understand you can't go back and enable Secure Boot and disable Legacy once it has been installed this way but due to lack of any other way of installing Windows, I have no choice).

- Used 'Windows 7 USB/DVD Download Tool' to create ISO which automatically formats drive to NTFS; converted to FAT32 using 'AOEMI Partition Assistant' software (preserving all partitions/data) but it still won't read.

- Used 'Rufus v. 2.11.995' software to create ISO as FAT32 under several different setting iterations:

1. GPT partition scheme for UEFI (this presumably should be the most appropriate setting but it still did not work). End Format: FAT32
2. GPT partition scheme for UEFI (once with Dual UEFI/BIOS mode enabled and once again with it disabled). End Format: FAT32
3. MBR partition scheme for UEFI (enabled/disabled). End Format: FAT32
4. MBR partition scheme for BIOS or UEFI-CSM (enabled/disabled). End Format: NTFS

- Hard Reset.

- Disabled Security Boot AND Legacy Support together.

- Tried changing BIOS settings mid-insallation of Windows from Legacy to Secure Boot (right after first reboot).

- Rearranged boot order under every possible configuration. Loaded default settings.

- With the Internal Network Adapter Boot disabled by default in BIOS while in Secure Boot mode, the flash drive won't even read in F9 Boot Manager. Once INAB is enabled, the flash drive is recognized and allows access to the files in the folder but none of the files will boot as the next screen that pops up every time states: "Selected boot image did not Authenticate. Press Enter to continue." and it just takes me right back to Boot Manager.

I don't understand what the problem is. I'm using a FAT32 format designed for UEFI as well as GPT partition also best suited for UEFI. I've even created the ISO with both UEFI and BIOS compatibility for each iteration. I've arranged the boot order for USB Flash Drive to boot first. The ISO boots fine in Legacy. What am I missing here?

Thanks for your help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,614 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:27 AM

Posted 10 December 2016 - 09:16 PM

Did multiple fresh installs of Windows 8.1 with Bing (32 bit) erasing all partitions from hard drive every time (my system is designed for 64 but I only have access to a 32 ISO).

32bit is unable to boot on a UEFI GPT disk computer. Only 64bit will work.

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/dn640535(v=vs.85).aspx

Can Windows 7, Windows Vista, and Windows Server 2008 read, write, and boot from GPT disks?

Yes, all versions can use GPT partitioned disks for data. Booting is only supported for 64-bit editions on UEFI-based systems.

If you have the Windows 7 key and need a 64bit version download the Windows iso downloader here.

Edited by JohnC_21, 10 December 2016 - 09:16 PM.

#3 HP-HoardersPassed

HP-HoardersPassed
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2016 - 09:50 PM

Hi John,

Thank you for your reply. This might have been the answer I've been looking for as it appeared I have tried every suggestion applicable and by process of elimination I was basically theorizing something to that effect.

Just for the record though, is there any way to enable Secure Boot after installing this 32 bit ISO? Or am I really doomed to stay in Legacy until I can locate a 64 bit ISO?

Thanks.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,614 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2016 - 10:01 PM

No, you cannot enable SecureBoot on a 32bit OS as SecureBoot is part of the UEFI standard which requires the disk to be GPT and the OS 64bit  in order to boot.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh824839.aspx

When you deploy Windows to a UEFI-based PC, you must format the hard drive that includes the Windows partition by using a GUID partition table (GPT) file system. Additional drives may use either the GPT or the master boot record (MBR) file format.

#5 HP-HoardersPassed

HP-HoardersPassed
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2016 - 01:53 AM

Excellent advice, John.

I had to test your answer by downloading a Windows 8.1 Single Language 64 bit ISO (Microsoft doesn't have 8.1 with Bing for download) and I used Rufus to format the flash drive's partition scheme as GPT for UEFI and the File System as FAT32, created the image and tried it out with Secure Boot enabled / Legacy Support disabled and sure enough it booted right away into setup installation. Thank you for clarifying the problem with 32 bits.

I have another HP laptop with Win 10 that I had reinstalled with the correct 64 bit version but had incurred the same problem with not being able to enable Secure Boot after installation. I thought I was missing some crucial step in the installation of both computers after continuously running into this problem but apparently I was so preoccupied with fixing the Win 8 laptop first, I never tried to reformat the Win 10 ISO using GPT and FAT32. As soon as I created the image with the correct settings, the Win 10 also followed suit and booted installation with Secure Boot enabled (now I can finally download Windows Updates that pertain to Secure Boot).

A wholehearted thank you for your quick and informative response and for the link you provided. Keep up the great work as what people like you who help with swift, knowledgeable, clear and concise answers are doing is truly an admirable service that is lost on these greedy manufacturers who are audacious enough to charge on both ends; once after already reaping their rewards on the front end at the time of purchase as well as then wanting to charge for support afterwards on the back end (and sub-par, often hard to understand "support" if you could even call it that).

Excellent job.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,614 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2016 - 09:22 AM

Thank you, glad to have helped.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users