Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Infection turned off security, blocks downloads

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 AlexPierce

AlexPierce

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:53 PM

Posted 10 December 2016 - 06:35 PM

Hey everybody,

I've got a 64-bit Dell laptop, running Windows 7 Home Premium, and I'm all but certain it's picked up a nasty bug. I cannot download anything on any browser (tried IE, Chrome and Opera, Opera being my default browser). I'm always told the download has been "Interrupted: virus scan failed." This apparently is because my Windows Security Essentials is turned off, but I can't turn it back on. When I try, I get the message: "an error has occurred during initialization: Error code e0x800700c1.

I don't have additional malware detectors installed and can't download anything. Does anyone have a suggestion as to how I can fix this without downloading any tools?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:53 PM

Posted 10 December 2016 - 06:57 PM

You don' have a copy of linux do you ?

#3 AlexPierce

AlexPierce
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2016 - 07:07 PM

You don' have a copy of linux do you ?

I'm afraid not.

#4 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2016 - 07:19 PM

That blows  :mellow: 

Something like linux mint is live boot, meaning a hole Os that lets you surf the net and do anything you want with out even installing anything, everything runs off the DVD meaning you could download a ten pack of anti-vuris and the like and punch the computer pass that and see what happens.

No backup computer  with internet and a DVD burner :huh: ?

#5 AlexPierce

AlexPierce
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2016 - 07:41 PM

Backup computer, yes, but it's the backup because the DVD drive went south.  I do have an encased hard drive from another past computer that I can hook up, and I know there's some antispyware on it. I'm just concerned about operating it with this one lest it get infected, too.

#6 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2016 - 08:04 PM

Very real risk yes, my self i wouldn't go their, keep your external HDD backups well away from that computer if you suspect a infection.

One thing you could try and do is a round of uninstalls , remove anything that has anything to do with your browsers if you haven't all ready.

Sucks you dont have Firefox, that one you can change loads it is as to what plugins run and don't.

Anything that looks like it might touch or mess with a browser or anything installed that looks funny do a round of checks on the net as to what it is and douse and if it has anything to do with safe internet searching or downloading disable or remove it.

Are you able to do screen shots and upload em to this forum ? downloading bugged but is uploading too ?

Found this https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/142064?hl=en

My self id go nuts on the topic and disable piles.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users