Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problems with some windows 10 features

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Daniel_Galhoz

Daniel_Galhoz

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2016 - 05:35 PM

A month ago, I installed some malware on my computer. This malware, mostly adware,probably messed up some windows 10 features like my taskbar, that isnt working, and most of the settings function of windows also isnt working, like adding new users or connect to wi-fi(i still have internet connection because he still has my network settings).

I already got help from one of your co-workers, in the malware section, and he said that he couldn't help me more, and to and to ask help here.

Here is the link, so you can see what we already done:

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/631370/windows-10-my-windows-taskbar-isnt-working-normally-and-other-problems/

Im looking foward to your help, although in the last weeks i didn't have much time to worry about this.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:13 PM

Posted 10 December 2016 - 05:45 PM

Well if the malware guys can't do anything guess its my turn, im a pc repair hardware tech btw and this isn't going to be the anser your looking for but do you know how to do a data backup/pruge/reinstall ?

Edited by shadow_647, 10 December 2016 - 05:47 PM.

#3 Toits

Toits

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:13 AM

Posted 11 December 2016 - 01:04 AM

Do System Restore!

#4 opera

opera

• Members
  • 981 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:13 AM

Posted 11 December 2016 - 01:59 AM

I would go with shadow_647's suggestion.

You need a fresh install of Win 10 because you will always have issues with the messed up install you have at the moment.

#5 Daniel_Galhoz

Daniel_Galhoz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2016 - 05:36 AM

So what data and apps will i lose doing that?
And no, i dont know how to do it.

#6 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2016 - 08:41 AM

First click on start and find device manager find out all the hardware you need to get drivers for, big ones here is going to be WiFi and lan card drivers, if you can't connect to the net you can't get more updates or drivers.

Next video driver,sound hardware, chip-set, browser, something to compress or decompress stuff like winRAR, big one really just lan and wifi, as long as you have a half working Os/browser/internet you can get the rest on the fly after a install.

Don't know what drivers win10 will have for your system or won't.

2nd back up data, Keep in mind you still might have nasty code or programs in their so save what you relly want to keep and clean house some, you can do this by:

"A" get a 50~100 pack of DVD and burn disks till your eyes pop out, remember to only burn like 3~4 at a time then take a 10 min brake before doing more, the cheap DVD drives tend to get hot, really slow doing it this way and cheap blank DVD don't last in any case, quality blank DVD cost like $2 a disk if you buy a 100 pack.

Don't know about the quality DVD drives but my self i don't just keep putting disks in till the drive brakes.

"B" get a external HDD or Internal HDD and copy what you wan't to save, don't know if you have a Desktop of laptop, If you have a desktop i would highly recommend you get a new/use 2nd hdd just for windows.

Looking at newegg i can get a 250gig internal hdd for like $20, used from a computer scraper place a 160gig s-ata internal drive is like $10, that's a good size for a windows, by getting a 2nd drive and only using it for windows you can do fresh installs faster and with out losing data on the other drive or drives, if you just need a drive to do pure backing up then that will cost more but what can you do, all i know is i wouldn't want to backup 2TB on dvds, you need like 450 blank dvds and 10 years to do it.

Don't know what the deal is with blue ray besides knowing they hold way more but its probably slow as hell doing it that way too.

If it were my call and it was a desktop id probably just go with a 160gig used HDD and reinstall windows on that and leave the other old drive in the desktop alone ,things probably going to be a mess so their be some cleaning to do in the after math in thier but you don't have to backup data, just need drivers for the new install on the windows drive, my self im setup like this on my main pc, i have 5 hdd total on it and twin PSU and i can put more HDD in their too if i wanted, i dont use Raid i just dubble up things i want to keep, that only saves me vs hdds dieing but dousen't do nothing for it if a virus hits sadly, slowly runing out of space too of late, think ill go get a 2TB drive soon and pop that in.

Download all this as well and burn to DVD, all the dvd here are live boot, two are computer repair tech cd/dvd the other just linux, the linux one can boot your hole computer off the dvd drive with a working Os and firefox you can surf the net on a computer with no hdd if needed, good for getting downloads you need for fixing windows or whatever you want to do in a pinch.

http://www.hirensbootcd.org/download/

http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/index.html

https://www.linuxmint.com/

win10 install guide

http://www.howtogeek.com/224342/how-to-clean-install-windows-10/

Last but not lest if this all sounds like too much and its kind of hard for me to cover everything, like us all when we start your going to have to use the force and do some lurning if you want do do it your self or you can all way find a computer store or free lance repair tech to fix it for you, some make house calls.

I know one place in in the city were i live that douse win7 re-install for like $40+ tax & $10 for a 160gig hdd and you would be golden.

#7 opera

opera

• Members
  • 981 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2016 - 08:49 AM

Windows 10 usually automagically installs most drivers for you.

Just stick a memory stick in and copy over your pics, music and docs and and 3rd party software licence keys you have.

As regards the install, here is an easy to follow guide.

http://www.howtogeek.com/224342/how-to-clean-install-windows-10/

Windows will self activate the new install.

#8 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2016 - 01:56 PM

Sadly win10 is spyware, my self id would only do the install offline and make 100% shore theirs no internet connected to it as it installs, then a full lock-down on it settings wise "just turn everything off on the privacy topic" as well as have the privacy mod tools on hand.

And win10 can only install your drivers for you if "A" you want Microsoft to know who you are and "B" if it can install drivers for your networking hardware offline.

Btw i mostly just deal with XP or win7 but man win10 a sack of junk on the driver topic i find.

Just stick a memory stick in and copy over your pics, music and docs and and 3rd party software license keys you have.

lol might be hard doing it that way if were talking 4TB of movies :rolleyes:

https://bgr.com/2015/08/14/windows-10-spying-prevention-privacy-tools/

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insider/wiki/insider_wintp-insider_devices/how-to-install-and-update-drivers-in-windows-10/a97bbbd1-9973-4d66-9a5b-291300006293

#9 opera

opera

• Members
  • 981 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2016 - 01:09 AM

@shadow_647

The plain fact is that Win 10 works for a lot of people. The install usually goes well and all drivers up and running.

You say you don't use Win 10.

I do.

Sure it wants to know things, everything in the world wants to know things, Microsoft is no different they just admit they do it that's all.

#10 Daniel_Galhoz

Daniel_Galhoz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2016 - 06:42 PM

well, i tried to figure what you guys where saying, but i am totally lost.

#11 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2016 - 08:49 PM

Maybe it best then if you pay someone to rebuild it for you, i know one place in the city were i live they do win7 rebuilds on computers for only $40+tax

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users