Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dell Inspiron 1545

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Jammerjonn

Jammerjonn

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:40 PM

Posted 10 December 2016 - 05:13 PM

I get 2 beeps at start up, no video displayed. I heard that means ram. I tried new ram but same 2 beeps at stat up. Could it be the lcd? Thanks

Edited by hamluis, 10 December 2016 - 05:18 PM.
Moved from Win 7 to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,207 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:40 PM

Posted 10 December 2016 - 06:13 PM

Try re-seating the RAM again. If you have two sticks only use one and change slots after each boot. Then substitute the other stick and boot from each slot. If you still get the beeps it's likely your motherboard. Take it to a good shop for diagnosis.

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,391 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2016 - 12:46 PM

Two beeps from the BIOS beep codes means that no memory is recognized.  If this beep code was three beeps I would be inclined to believe that there is a problem with the motherboard, but that is not what you have going.

This computer originally sold with 3GB of RAM with a maximum amount of 4GB of RAM.  There are two slots so you will have two slots to test each module in each slot.

If you are not sure how to access the RAM module/s you can watch a very short video here.

The human body can discharge static electricity in the amount of 2000V to 3000V.  It only takes 10V to kill a RAM module.  For this reason it is important that you touch something close at hand that is metal, like a kitchen faucet or a lamp, to discharge the static electricity in your system before handling the RAM.

Edited by dc3, 11 December 2016 - 12:46 PM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 Jammerjonn

Jammerjonn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2016 - 02:55 PM

OK Thanks I'll order two new chips. I heard it's very ram that ram chips go bad especially two in the same computer at the same time......... Many a power surge?

#5 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:40 PM

Posted 11 December 2016 - 03:08 PM

Whats the total amout of ram you tryed to add ? remember max is 4gigs as DC3 pointed out.

#6 Jammerjonn

Jammerjonn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2016 - 03:15 PM

I wasn't adding any it has 4gb 2 chips just beeps twice at start up no video display. I ordered 2 new chips to try. Thanks

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,391 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2016 - 03:21 PM

Before you purchase the new modules try the suggestion to test each module.  Remove one of the modules and try the remaining module in both slots.  Repeat this with the other module by itself as well.

Let us know what you find.

If you had a power surge get to the RAM that would mean that it traveled through the motherboard as well.  I agree, it would be very unusual for both modules to have failed.  Have you opened the case and touched the RAM modules?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users