Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Sabrent USB 2.0 to Sata/IDE adapter

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Daale7905

Daale7905

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:32 PM

Posted 10 December 2016 - 04:16 PM

Hi all,

This is my first post at this website.  I have an older HP Pavilion a350n computer with an Win 7 operatiog system whose motherboard crashed, but the harddrive is fine. I purchased the topic Sabrent adapter to connect to my HP laptop and attempt to access the files on the hard drive from the Pavilion.  The laptop operation system is Vista. I can get to a number of folders and files from the Pavilion but cannot find the Turbo Tax Return files which I'd like to get to.  I wondred if the fact that there are two different operating systems on the two hard drives could be the cause , or if there are two different systems ( 32 bit or 64 bit ) that would cause a problem. 

Any comments and/or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,207 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2016 - 04:24 PM

32bit and 64bit OS's would not be a problem when accessing the hard drive on either system. Both file systems should be NTFS. 

If you have access to the drive use the program Everything on the searching computer to find any Turbo Tax returns. You can search using only the extension using a global "*"  Search for all files named *.tax

https://www.voidtools.com/support/everything/

#3 Daale7905

Daale7905
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2016 - 06:49 PM

John, thanks for your suggestion. I tried your suggestion and after about 5 minutes the red lite ( IDE/busy) went out on the Sabrent adapter and I left the search continue for another 5 minutes. The pointer on the monitor showed it was busy doing something and I left it continue for another 5 minutes. But I concluded it wasn't getting any 'hits' so I terminated the search.

However, I discovered something else. While browsing Explore and trying numerous key combinations, I found that by using the navigation string: H:\-program files-Turbo Tax-Premier 2014- 32 bit-Turbo Tax application- ... the Turbo Tax (TT)program briefly tried to start but then the TT logo logo which stated " TT starting..etc. disappears from the monitor."

Then tried from the top bar which showed H:\, I went to the extreme right on that bar with the little down arrow and clicked it. The dropdown page showed 'program files', clicked it and it showed TT; clicked it and it showed: TT Premier 2014; clicked it and then the 20bit folder; clicked the TT line and it showed TT Intuit. Clicked it and it went back back to Explorer. I suspect it was trying to open TT but for some reason it doesn't open.

Don't know if this helps. I suspect for some reason the program doesn't open.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,207 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2016 - 07:06 PM

You can't run a program from an attached hard drive as the registry entries Windows uses are on the computer doing the searching and these entries are not aware of Turbo Tax being installed. 

On the external disk Turbo Tax may have put the tax documents in the My Documents folder in the USERS folder. It could be in any users profile that is on the disk. In the USERS/<account name> folder look in each subfolder for a Turbo Tax file. It could be in a Turbo Tax subfolder of the the My Documents folder.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1900721-find-your-tax-data-file-in-windows

#5 Daale7905

Daale7905
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2016 - 12:22 PM

"You can't run a program from an attached hard drive as the registry entries Windows uses are on the computer doing the searching and these entries are not aware of Turbo Tax being installed."   Thanks JohnC...That's obviously something I didn't know. 

Do you think if I loaded my Turbo Tax Premier 2014 on my laptop with Vista I might be able and run my Turbo Tax return file....if I can find it?  

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,207 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2016 - 12:58 PM

Yes, if you installed Turbotax on your laptop you would be able to open your TurboTax file, if you can find it. You would still need to browse the external drive in TurboTax as TurboTax would be looking to the default location of your tax file which would be your laptop's hard drive. 

#7 Daale7905

Daale7905
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2016 - 01:37 PM

Ran into another problem while trying to connect the Sabrent with the old hard drive (HD).  My laptop with Vista doesn't now show the HD as drive H:\ as it did the past few times I connected the Sabrent adapter to it.  the Device Manager does however show a new line under uSB connections in Device Manager as " USB mass storage device" as it is supposed to.  But the computer doesn't recognize the Sabrent connected HD in NY computer or Explorer.

Could you suggest any reasons this occurs and solution(s) to get the computer to recognize the Sabrent HD?  It is puzzling why this happened.since I had shut the computer in a normal manner.    

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,207 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2016 - 01:41 PM

It could be caused by a number of reasons. Possibly the bridge card on the adapter itself but I doubt that. Also sometimes Windows gets confused if multiple devices get attached to the same port causing a driver conflict. If you try another USB port is the drive detected?

#9 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,335 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:32 PM

Posted 14 December 2016 - 02:22 PM

Odds are the files are in C:\Users\USERNAME\Documents some place.  Where USERNAME is the name of the Windows user.  You may need to take ownership of the drive to access those folders.

#10 Daale7905

Daale7905
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2016 - 03:23 PM

Discovered my problem with my laptop not recognizing the Sabrent adapter connected HD.  The solution was quite simple ... the cable connection the HD to the Sabrent adapter was not fully seated in the adapter.  Although the adapter was seated enough for the computer to show the USB mass storage line under Device  Manager USB connections line as it should, it was not seated enough for the computer to allow it to recognize and provide access to the hard drive.

At the moment it seems all is working well again.  I'm going to try searching for *.tax again. Lesson learned :bananas:  

#11 Daale7905

Daale7905
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2016 - 09:29 AM

Tried *.tax again with no hits.  Also had noted that the Sabrent attached drive did not show numerous folders that I knew were on the drive like Documents and Downloads.

Re-read the previous posts an BC's comment re 'taking ownership' and comments resulted in doing a more extensive search using Explorer.  Found several User sub-menus with a Document folder and tried opening them.  One of them resulted in a request to authorize continuing with opening the folder.  Low and behold, the computer cranked for about 45 seconds ( I assume i was 'taking ownership' of the drive) and it appears that the folders and files I have been looking for ( and not previously available) are now available. :bounce:

I'll have to take more time to see if all I'm looking for is available, but the early indications are that they are.

Thanks so much for your responses, suggestions and help.  Couldn't have resolved the initial problem without  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users