Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Can .mp4 files be infected?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Teknold

• Members
  • 1 posts
  • Local time:01:55 AM

Posted 10 December 2016 - 03:14 PM

I have a likely stupid sounding question, but coming from Windows background, I believe danger from everything.

I'm usually very paranoid, but was tired at one point, real life stress making me crack, I did something stupid - I downloaded some video files that were hosted in https://openload.co/f/

I pretty much regretted my lack of carefulness few days later and deleted them. Issue being, I also had moved them to external hard drive and deleted them from there as well.

But now I'm struggling with paranoia and regret of that one time letting my impulses get out of control.

So my questions are as follow:

1) Is there Mac malware that hides itself inside .mp4 files? Like the file is video file that was expected and it plays, but could something malicious sneak in with it and run in the background without user noticing it? Can Mac malware hide itself inside of mp4 or even image files?

Are there Mac malware/adware/trojans, that can mask themselves with for example .mp4 file extension and when user clicks, it already runs and/or installs something?

For example catvideo.mp4 is instead installer to malware/trojan? Wouldn't there be some window asking about installing or can it just run/install without asking user's allowance?

Or is there a possibility user downloads a video.mp4, clicks on it, video plays normally, but in background something malicious, without user noticing, activates when video was activated?

2) Mac lacks malware that can infect other files, yes? So when I put them on external hard drive, then deleted them, even if there was something malicious, other files there would not have been infected? And using uploading to Mac from that external hard drive would not be a threat?

3) Does Mac malware actually have to ask user to let it run or can it simply sneak in and start running right away?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Genex17

• Members
  • 80 posts
  • Local time:03:55 PM

Posted 14 December 2016 - 08:56 PM

Some good answers here: http://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/264391/can-mp4-files-infect-my-mac-with-malware-adware-spyware

If you know how Macs work, they do give malware writers a hard time, and Apple does not stand still.

About the only problem I've had was  with Adware, and Malwarebytes Anti Malware for  the Mac is free. Adware usually comes bundled with "free" apps.

Edited by Genex17, 14 December 2016 - 08:59 PM.

#3 MadmanRB

• Members
  • 2,506 posts
  • Local time:07:55 PM

Posted 16 December 2016 - 12:47 AM

In theory any file can be a carrier for a virus and or exploit and indeed macs are not immune to exploits (no system is really) however with that said just keep in mind what you are doing and you will be fine.

There is a lot of things self contained in OSX so that system wide infiltration is a bit harder to do in OSX than in windows.

I may not be a mac user myself but I do know its merits of being more secure by default then windows but on the other hand nothing is bulletproof.

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users