Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Acer R5 Wont Power On After Swapping HDD - It's that microswitch!

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 BlueDarkness

BlueDarkness

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:20 AM

Posted 10 December 2016 - 12:48 PM

So I learned that there is an interlock type microswitch under one of the screws that prevents the laptop from powering on unless it is pressed. So after putting it all back together and ensuring the screws were snug, it would not power on! I removed the back again, and simply screwed the particular screw back in until it stopped (which is farther in that it could screw with the back plate on) and it powers on fine.

I then called myself crazy and maybe I didn't tighten it enough with the back plate on so I put it bacj together again, ensured the screw was tight, but still no power on. Remove back cover, repeat above without cover on, powers on fine.

Whats going on here? Was there some sort of spacer in the hole that fell out when I was removing the screws? I checked that all the screws are the same length. Any thoughts?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:20 AM

Posted 10 December 2016 - 02:37 PM

Beats me, but any laptop that has a microswitch to stop me from powering it on if its not pressed dousen't make me want to buy that laptop.

Laptop a what btw ?

#3 BlueDarkness

BlueDarkness
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:20 AM

Posted 10 December 2016 - 04:23 PM

I'ts an Acer R5 2 in 1. Not terribly happy with this anti-tamper method (that's the only thing I can figure for having such a system). 

#4 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:20 PM

Posted 13 December 2016 - 06:53 PM

Three possible cures.

1/  Use a slightly longer screw.

2/  Drop a mall piece of plastic down the screwhole, or, for the adventurous or the electronically well trained,

3/  Solder a bridge across the switch teminals to permanently short it out.

Actually #3 requires that you determine if the switch is opened or closed by the screw. More adventurousness required !  Most likely it is normally open and closed by the screw, in which case shorting it out would work.

Chris Cosgrove

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,615 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:20 AM

Posted 14 December 2016 - 08:48 AM

I just watched a teardown video of the R series. It shows there are short and long screws holding the back panel. Was there a chance you accidentally swapped a short for a long screw?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users