Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help! Cannot Run any programs or open Google Chrome

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 helsi85

helsi85

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:57 AM

Posted 10 December 2016 - 11:35 AM

Hi there,

I seem to be having serious issues with my laptop.  It started with being unable to access the wifi.  Once resolved it was fine for the evening.  The following day I was unable to open chrome.  It buffers as if to load but nothing happens.  I can open IE but not Chrome, Opera or any other programs, even if I download onto USB.  I always get the same error message " The application was unable to start correctly (0xc0150004).

I tried a system restore with no joy.  When I looked at my system restore points it only gives me the option to undo my last restore. I can't run programs in safe mode either.  I tried resetting the laptop whilst keeping my files but it said there was a problem and couldn't complete.  Same issue when I tried resetting and wiping all my files (yes I'm getting desperate now).  I made a restore disk and it wouldn't even do that. 

Really don't know what else to try.  Wouldn't run checkdisk.  Had to run it on startup and it couldn't repair all files. I've saved the BCS log but the following repair error came up:

CSI    00003b5a [SR] Beginning Verify and Repair transaction
2016-12-09 23:43:26, Info                  CSI    00003b5b [SR] Cannot repair member file [l:47]'Microsoft.PowerShell.Diagnostics.Activities.dll' of Microsoft.PowerShell.Diagnostics.Activities, version 10.0.14393.321, arch msil, nonSxS, pkt {l:8 b:31bf3856ad364e35} in the store, file is missing
2016-12-09 23:43:26, Info                  CSI    00003b5c [SR] Cannot repair member file [l:46]'Microsoft.PowerShell.Management.Activities.dll' of Microsoft.PowerShell.Management.Activities, version 10.0.14393.187, arch msil, nonSxS, pkt {l:8 b:31bf3856ad364e35} in the store, file is missing
2016-12-09 23:43:26, Error                 CSI    00003b5d (F) STATUS_OBJECT_NAME_NOT_FOUND #7450928# from Windows::Rtl::SystemImplementation::DirectFileSystemProvider::SysCreateFile(flags = (AllowSharingViolation), handle = {provider=NULL, handle=0, name= ("null")}, da = (SYNCHRONIZE|FILE_READ_ATTRIBUTES), oa = @0x2ca97b3b0->OBJECT_ATTRIBUTES {s:48; rd:NULL; on:[121]'\??\C:\WINDOWS\WinSxS\msil_microsoft.powershel..ommands.diagnostics_31bf3856ad364e35_10.0.14393.447_none_10e799b06a184bbb'; a:(OBJ_CASE_INSENSITIVE)}, iosb = @0x2ca97b390, as = (null), fa = 0, sa = (FILE_SHARE_READ|FILE_SHARE_WRITE|FILE_SHARE_DELETE), cd = FILE_OPEN, co = (FILE_SYNCHRONOUS_IO_NONALERT|0x00004000), eab = NULL, eal = 0, disp = Invalid)
[gle=0xd0000034]
2016-12-09 23:43:26, Error                 CSI    00003b5e@2016/12/9:23:43:26.874 (F) onecore\base\wcp\sil\merged\ntu\ntsystem.cpp(2898): Error STATUS_OBJECT_NAME_NOT_FOUND originated in function Windows::Rtl::SystemImplementation::DirectFileSystemProvider::SysCreateFile expression: (null)
[gle=0x80004005]

Please does anyone have any suggestions? Please don't suggest downloading and running anything as it simply wont load anything I download.

Many thanks,

Helen

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 kaljukass

kaljukass

• Banned
  • 291 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:57 PM

Posted 10 December 2016 - 12:26 PM

The simplest and fastest way to repair everything at once is clean reinstall.

#3 helsi85

helsi85
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2016 - 12:51 PM

clean reinstall of what?  I tried resetting the system completely, using the recovery disk I made and it failed.  Said there was a problem and couldn't complete.

#4 kaljukass

kaljukass

• Banned
  • 291 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2016 - 01:08 PM

clean reinstall of what?  I tried resetting the system completely, using the recovery disk I made and it failed.  Said there was a problem and couldn't complete.

Everything, of course.

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/how-to/windows/how-to-install-get-windows-10-3619209/

#5 helsi85

helsi85
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2016 - 02:01 PM

Like I say. I can't run anything.  Followed the directions on the link given.  Was asked if I wanted to run the windows 10 installer but had the same error message " The application was unable to start correctly (0xc0150004). So back to square 1.  Anyone else have any suggestions?

#6 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2016 - 02:13 PM

Do you have a backup computer one that can download and Burn this to cd or dvd

http://www.hirensbootcd.org/download/

And or this.

https://www.linuxmint.com/

Its what computer techs often use to fix computers and is a live boot.

Can't boot off the DVD rom drive with no HDD installed ?

Hemm wonder if its a memory problem, how many ram sticks do you have in that thing ?

You computer hardware is what, full system info plz.

#7 helsi85

helsi85
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2016 - 02:35 PM

Unfortunately I don't have a spare laptop no :-(

Is this the system information you need?

OS Name Microsoft Windows 10 Home
Version 10.0.14393 Build 14393
Other OS Description  Not Available
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name HP
System Manufacturer Hewlett-Packard
System Model HP Pavilion Notebook
System Type x64-based PC
System SKU M9F64EA#ABU
Processor Intel® Core™ i3-5010U CPU @ 2.10GHz, 2095 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date Insyde F.52, 03/09/2015
SMBIOS Version 2.8
Embedded Controller Version 89.37
BIOS Mode UEFI
BaseBoard Manufacturer Hewlett-Packard
BaseBoard Model Not Available
BaseBoard Name Base Board
Platform Role Mobile
Secure Boot State On
PCR7 Configuration Binding Not Possible
Windows Directory C:\WINDOWS
System Directory C:\WINDOWS\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume2
Locale United Kingdom
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "10.0.14393.206"
Username HP\CurrysPCWorld
Time Zone GMT Standard Time
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 8.00 GB
Total Physical Memory 7.92 GB
Available Physical Memory 3.29 GB
Total Virtual Memory 9.17 GB
Available Virtual Memory 1.99 GB
Page File Space 1.25 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys
Hyper-V - VM Monitor Mode Extensions Yes
Hyper-V - Second Level Address Translation Extensions Yes
Hyper-V - Virtualisation Enabled in Firmware No
Hyper-V - Data Execution Protection Yes

#8 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2016 - 04:17 PM

The simplest and fastest way to repair everything at once is clean reinstall.

Good info helps, often here most seem to ask people to run speccy app, no one can help anyone here if their blind and don't know what their working with.

My self im a Freelance Pc repair tech, but like most of the computer stores or repair places/techs im fast to do reinstall like the stores, doing it the hard way takes a lot of time and research and fiddling around with the computer in question as well when windows takes a big hit often its just never the same even if it works out in the end and windows still works when everything said and done, where as just {backup data/ hdd purge/reinstalling} and done right has a way of killing most malware and virus dead as well as being brainless to do when you do it all the time, windows when used for too long or too hard can turn in to trash given time.

Seen some PC stores do like 6 computers at the same time when it comes to this topic and like me their not big on messing with things when it smells like windows is dead.

Sadly my skill is hardware mostly, but your in luck theirs lot of malware pros on this forum, think ill let them take over, but ill keep an eye on this forum thread to see how it works out.

Just want to see if things work out in the end and how much work it was to get their.

Don't forget to do your last post if things work out!

Ps: last i checked their is no real safe mode in win10 :(

Edited by shadow_647, 10 December 2016 - 04:18 PM.

#9 helsi85

helsi85
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2016 - 04:47 PM

Ok no worries.  Hope someone can help.  One saving grace is I can still use IE I suppose - for now!

#10 Clarke123

Clarke123

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:57 AM

Posted 18 December 2016 - 09:40 AM

Similar problem:  Everything worked, except Chrome!

Chrome browser would not initiate after the latest WIN 10 update.  

I un-and-reinstalled Chrome, to no avail.

I request assistance from Google, to no avail (NO surprise there ... their support is worse than COMCAST)

After almost a week, I filed a problem report with MS ... this morning Chrome mysteriously began to work again.

Like many problems with WIN, it magically fixed itsself?!

Must be something in the weather ... or just a touch of the flu ... or maybe it's snowing in he!!!

Edited by Clarke123, 18 December 2016 - 09:43 AM.

#11 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2016 - 03:49 PM

Like many problems with WIN, it magically fixed itsself?

Was their a new update that happened ?

#12 helsi85

helsi85
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2016 - 04:16 PM

I'm still having the same issue.  Does anyone have any recommendations?  I'ms still limited to using IE. Can't run anything else at all!

#13 Clarke123

Clarke123

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:57 AM

Posted 21 December 2016 - 07:01 AM

Similar problem:  Everything worked, except Chrome!

Chrome browser would not initiate after the latest WIN 10 update.  

I un-and-reinstalled Chrome, to no avail.

I request assistance from Google, to no avail (NO surprise there ... their support is worse than COMCAST)

After almost a week, I filed a problem report with MS ... this morning Chrome mysteriously began to work again.

Like many problems with WIN, it magically fixed itsself?!

Must be something in the weather ... or just a touch of the flu ... or maybe it's snowing in he!!!

Spoke too soon ... problems "mysteriously" disappeared on my laptop (NO known updates had occurred), but persists on my desktop.

Explorer works just fine ... (No surprise there as it appears some "magic torpedo" hidden in the latest WIN 10 Update from Bill Gates has "sunk" Google's Flag Ship Chrome ... Whose captain is AWOL for XMAS or Weed break!) 

Edited by Clarke123, 21 December 2016 - 07:02 AM.

#14 helsi85

helsi85
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2016 - 01:16 PM

But it's not even just Chrome. I can't run ANYTHING!  Can't run antivirus. Can't run new downloaded antivirus software either.  Anyone out there with recommendations?

#15 dhjohns

dhjohns

• Members
  • 159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:57 AM

Posted 22 December 2016 - 07:08 AM

But it's not even just Chrome. I can't run ANYTHING!  Can't run antivirus. Can't run new downloaded antivirus software either.  Anyone out there with recommendations?

Download ISO burn to disk.  Clean install.  That is your only solution.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users