Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

basic question about UEFI

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 ComputerHelp69

ComputerHelp69

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:48 PM

Posted 10 December 2016 - 11:22 AM

I don't have a UEFI computer yet but I've been reading about UEFI for when that day comes.

I've read at least 6 articles about it so far, but none of them address this seemingly obvious question.

Is there no way to enter the UEFI screen on boot-up without first fully loading the operating system?

I'm gathering that if it doesn't boot right, it goes to the UEFI screen by default. Is that correct also?

Thank you so much.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:48 PM

Posted 10 December 2016 - 02:41 PM

Motherboard should post/power up with no hdd connected to it really and you should be able to get in to the bios.

Don't see why that should be a problem and the only thing i remember from all my reading about UEFI bios is that its hardware DRM, something i don't like, so myself id turn it off the day i own one.

Edit: typo fix, god i got to stop doing that.

Edited by shadow_647, 10 December 2016 - 03:45 PM.

#3 sandman1374

sandman1374

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:48 PM

Posted 10 December 2016 - 02:52 PM

A UEFI Bios has options to choose either UEFI or Legacy which are easily accessed through the Bios at boot. Yes you can make the choice before loading OS but default setting is fine for most.

On a Asus system they are found in Bios "Advanced Mode" under the Boot tab labeled "CSM (Compatibility Support Module)" and "Secure Boot".Attached File  151129023021.BMP   2.25MB   1 downloads Attached File  151129023031.BMP   2.25MB   0 downloads Attached File  151129023040.BMP   2.25MB   0 downloads

I run Win10 on UEFI with GPT format rather than MBR. Here's more info in detail http://www.overclock.net/t/1240779/seans-windows-8-install-optimization-guide-for-ssds-hdds#post_16929868

Custom, AMD R7 1800x @ 3925MHz. ASUS Crosshair VI Hero, 2 x 8GB G-Skill Flare-X @ 3466MHz 14-13-13-26-1T, Samsung 960 m.2 NVMe OS. Samsung 840 Pro 120GB SSD OC OS. 2TB WD Blck data, 4TB WD Red Storage, EVGA G2 850 PSU, HD7970 3GB w/XSPC Razor WB. EK C6H Monoblock,  D5 Vario, RX360 rad,RS360 rad, EX140 rad, Xigmatek Elysium. Win10 Pro x64, Linksys WRT1900 ACS, Firefox Beta, Avast Free, Malwarebytes Pro, CCleaner,

#4 ComputerHelp69

ComputerHelp69
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:48 PM

Posted 10 December 2016 - 03:16 PM

Yes you can make the choice before loading OS but default setting is fine for most.

How is this done typically? Similiar to tapping the delete key in older BIOS systems?

#5 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:48 PM

Posted 10 December 2016 - 03:55 PM

With most 3rd party motherboards out their ya its Del key but computers builders like HP and Dell or on laptops they like moving the key around just to get on people nerves.

Now we know that UEFI restrictions had nothing to do with security and eventually became just a competition barrier. Rather than cracking we are seeing leaking as the end of UEFI restricted boot’s (or ‘secure’ boot’s) reputation.

http://techrights.org/2013/04/07/multimedia-drm-like-uefi/

Richard Stallman Speaks About UEFI

http://bytesmedia.co.uk/2012/07/17/richard-stallman-uefi/

#6 Xoctane

Xoctane

• Members
  • 114 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:48 PM

Posted 13 December 2016 - 06:57 AM

The "obvious question" is not addressed because it's a non-issue, so you shouldn't worry about this. On most computers, I've been able to get to the "UEFI screen" by spamming del or F2. In some rare cases, motherboards have a special "fast boot" mode you can turn on that might not let you get into the UEFI as it boots, but it won't perform that super fast boot without a working OS installed.

And regarding secure boot, I have yet to see a mobo that doesn't allow you to either turn secure boot off or (ever better) add your own secure boot keys. And the fact that some private keys may leak does not mean that the system itself is "anti-competitive" by design.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users