Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Userdata of multiple users sharing in a homenetwork

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 HollPick

HollPick

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:42 PM

Posted 10 December 2016 - 11:22 AM

Hi guys,

I'm searching for something I don't find the right answer for.

I do realize that the solution will not be easy, but I don't mind if it eats time and effort.

If the result is a foolproof network as in my mind, I and the rest of the family would be more than happy.

Situation:

• 4 PC's, 4 users
  • All users use all 4 PC's
  • Files and documents used to be out of sync (making use of onedrive gave me a solution for this)
  • Frustration of wife and kids because of all the hassle (logging on a different PC and not be able of using the same files or software without tweaking).

Network:

• 2 PC's both Windows 10 Pro
  • 2 Laptops both Windows 10
  • 1 Cable router/WiFi accesspoint

What I want:

I'm searching for something that, I guess, is only used in businessworld: "Directory services".

I would like to make this possible:

All users can login to their own account on any of the 4 computers.

All users see their own desktop environment.

All users can make use of there applications on any of the 4 computers.

Only 1 admin can have access to all harddrives (folders,...), only their files and folders are accessible for them.

What would it take to make this happen/possible?

Extra hardware, OS, server, VM, VBox, ...?

Benefits or drawbacks?

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:42 PM

Posted 10 December 2016 - 11:34 AM

It sounds like you want to use roaming profiles, which requires a Windows Server to be on your network. IMO this is not something a laymen can realistically do. It would require you to buy a separate computer and then buy and install Windows Server on it, and that is the easy part. Then you have to configure the server and the computers to connect to it. See here for some basic instructions, but a lot of it will depend on your network layout. 

Instead, it might be easier to create a shared folder on a HDD connected to your router. To do this, you would either need to buy a NAS(HDD in a ethernet enclosure) or buy a separate modem and router (not gateway), and get a router that has a USB port on the back. Some gateways have the USB port, but the ability to connect a HDD to it is disabled by many ISPs. This would allow you to save and access files on the HDD from any device connected to the network. You can also configure the router software to allow/block access from certain PCs or files on the HDD, however I do not think it would allow you to run programs on a PC from the networked HDD. It might be possible to use "portable apps" from the HDD, but that will limit the function.

Edited by Trikein, 10 December 2016 - 11:39 AM.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,385 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:42 PM

Posted 10 December 2016 - 11:44 AM

Sounds like a simple shared drive or Network-Attached-Storage setup would be a possible answer.

Louis

#4 HollPick

HollPick
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2016 - 03:38 PM

I'm using a shared HDD at this moment. Partly for filesharing and forwarding but Domain control would be the best if I get it working.

I've followed a few tuts for setting up a 2012RC2 DC server in my Virtualbox environment but without success.

I always run into DNS issues.

If I could get rid of those issues I might try the setup with real hardware.

#5 HollPick

HollPick
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2016 - 05:51 PM

HI guys,

I recently received a 2bay NAS from a friend tot do some tests in my network.
The NAS is in use as central storage, Backupstation and stores redirected folders.

Actually, this would and could be the perfect solution for my situation without an extra server and domain setup.

But I ran in one problem which I can't fix.

From time to time, when a user logs on, the Welcome screen stay there longer as normal and then the screen turns black.
If I wait long enough, more than 4 minutes, the desktop shows like it's intended to. If not, CTRL-ALT-DEL, log off and log on again.

I redirected:

-Desktop

-Documents

-Pictures

-Music

-Video

I redirected them by rightclick, options, location,...

I guess is has got something to do with a delay of reading the Desktopfolder on the NAS.

Anyone has got a solution/workaround on this one?

I was told to not redirect Appdata, so that folder stays local.

thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users