Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 10 HW activation and cloning

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 dream3

dream3

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:49 PM

Posted 10 December 2016 - 05:21 AM

Hey guys!

So quick question. I have a macbook pro with windows 10 activated in a bootcamp partition. It was an upgrade hardware activation from windows 8.

Now I'm replacing my macbook for another one with different specs. Can I clone my current bootcamp partition and transfer it to my new mac without any sort of windows activation issues?

Or as soon as I connect to the internet it will read the different mac hardware and tell me I need to purchase a new license?

Edited by Chris Cosgrove, 10 December 2016 - 06:45 PM.
Moved from Win 10 to Mac OS

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:49 PM

Posted 11 December 2016 - 05:25 PM

Hey guys![/size]

So quick question. I have a macbook pro with windows 10 activated in a bootcamp partition. It was an upgrade hardware activation from windows 8.[/size]

Now I'm replacing my macbook for another one with different specs. Can I clone my current bootcamp partition and transfer it to my new mac without any sort of windows activation issues?[/size]

Or as soon as I connect to the internet it will read the different mac hardware and tell me I need to purchase a new license?[/size]

I be honest...I don't know, but I have an educated guess. This is largely because I don't use Bootcamp, but rather run Windows in a Parallels VM when I need Windows on my Macs. I have moved a Windows XP VM a long time ago from one Mac to another, but I don't recall the specifics of how that went. I want to say it worked, but then Windows XP activation was much less "extreme" than what exists in newer versions of Windows. In today's world, I just get a new license for the new Mac and be done with it.

I assume it will be have as if you moved/cloned from one Windows computer to a new Windows computer with new hardware specs because Bootcamp is essentially just making your MacBook Pro essentially the same as any other Windows computer (except that it can also run macOS with no tinkering needed...as opposed to the tinkering needed to get a "hackintosh" to work).

If my assumption is correct, then how much an issue it will be will depend on what kind of license you had for Windows 8. If Windows 8 was an OEM licensee, then activation should balk and under the license agreement you would need to buy a new license. If Windows 8 was a "retail" license (aka costs more than an OEM), then retail licenses can legally be moved from one computer to another (even with difference specs), but you likely would still need to activate it again. As I understanding things, upgrade licenses do not "change" the original license type, but rather "add" the right to run the newer Windows version to the existing license.

In the end, best I can suggest is to try and see what happens. You will want to use something like WinClone to backup/clone the Bootcamp partition.

https://twocanoes.com/products/mac/winclone

I will note that in the article below from the Winclone support site, it does mention that in the process of migrating your Bootcamp partition from one Mac to another that you will need to use Sysprep. There is then a note (last bullet item under the What You Will Need section) that states you will need to re-activate (i.e. re-enter valid licensing info, etc) Windows. This more or less confirms my assumption above.

https://twocanoes.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/202814148-Migrating-a-Boot-Camp-Partition

Don't know if that will help or not.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users