Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

FWBACKUPS

• Please log in to reply
71 replies to this topic

#1 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 6,107 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:41 PM

Posted 10 December 2016 - 03:24 AM

from Here

http://www.diffingo.com/oss/fwbackups/documentation/installation

Ubuntu/Mint Linux
To install fwbackups from source on Ubuntu, download the source tarball to your home folder and then open a terminal session (select Applications > System Tools > Terminal). Type the following commands into the terminal:
sudo apt-get install gettext autotools-dev intltool python-crypto python-paramiko python-gtk2 python-glade2 python-notify cron
tar xfj fwbackups-1.43.6.tar.bz2
cd fwbackups-1.43.6
./configure --prefix=/usr
make && sudo make install
Some Ubuntu distributions no longer include the Python "site-packages" directory in their search path, which may prevent fwbackups from starting. If this is the case, execute this code in addition to the code above:
PYTHONVER=$(python -c 'import sys;print "%s.%s" % (sys.version_info[0], sys.version_info[1])')
sudo ln -s ../site-packages/fwbackups /usr/lib/python${PYTHONVER}/dist-packages/fwbackups
.......the RED line presents this error in terminal....

tar xfj fwbackups-1.43.6.tar.bz2
tar (child): fwbackups-1.43.6.tar.bz2: Cannot open: No such file or directory
tar (child): Error is not recoverable: exiting now
tar: Child returned status 2
tar: Error is not recoverable: exiting now

Therefore i cannot install the &*&*& thing.......

Someone set me straight....Please !!!

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,107 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2016 - 06:27 AM

Ended up on this page....

https://launchpad.net/~magne-nordtveit/+archive/ubuntu/ppa/+build/1551876

downloaded this....    https://launchpad.net/~magne-nordtveit/+archive/ubuntu/ppa/+build/1551876/+files/fwbackups_1.43.3rc4-0ubuntu1~ppa5_amd64.changes

it is installed via package manager.......I see it in synaptic package manager....

yet i am not finding it to be able to open and run it

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#3 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,107 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2016 - 06:45 AM

1039zxh.jpg

23jfqs8.jpg

and yet if I right click on the top fwbackups icon and move it to the desktop....and then double click it......there is no result. Also no result if I click on it in the menu

GcnI1aH.jpg

#4 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,107 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2016 - 06:52 AM

Decided to click on "refresh' in the package installer........

vqkwae.jpg

Enough for me tonight

GcnI1aH.jpg

#5 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:41 AM

Posted 10 December 2016 - 11:37 AM

I wonder if this package was in the Software Manager?  I'll take a look as soon as I get time.

Did you download the fwbackups-1.43.6.tar file to your home folder?

Then go to Synaptic Package Manger and see if all those dependencies were met, along with what Version of fwbackups may be there.

If from Diffingo.com you should have downloaded this:  fwbackups-1.43.6.tar

http://www.diffingo.com/oss/fwbackups/download

tar (child): fwbackups-1.43.6.tar.bz2: Cannot open: No such file or directory

This is telling you that this file does not exist, so maybe you got the download wrong.  Find the Downloaded file, Right Click Properties and Copy paste it here to confirm.

Edited by pcpunk, 10 December 2016 - 04:46 PM.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#6 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,107 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2016 - 05:26 PM

have just cleared the decks....

opened synaptic package manager and marked the lot for removal.

No idea what went haywire there.

prior to this i made a bootable thumb drive with "redobackup"

the pc booted to the thumb drive ok....bu the 'program' would not run....just left me with a terminal type screen....

i must have killed a chinaman recently........no idea....... :scratchhead:....... :deadhorse: :censored: 

GcnI1aH.jpg

#7 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2016 - 05:42 PM

Confirmed the install and all working by following directions at the official site, on Mint Mate 18.

You did not answer this question

"Did you download the fwbackups-1.43.6.tar file to your home folder?"

opened synaptic package manager and marked the lot for removal.

I didn't say to remove anything, just to check if any of those dependencies were met?

prior to this i made a bootable thumb drive with "redobackup"

Why, there are plenty of options that can be easily installed.  Not giving you a hard time but if you are unsure just ask, may save you some trouble.

Also, I did not have to execute this Command

PYTHONVER=$(python -c 'import sys;print "%s.%s" % (sys.version_info[0], sys.version_info[1])')
sudo ln -s ../site-packages/fwbackups /usr/lib/python${PYTHONVER}/dist-packages/fwbackups

It says at their site:  "which may prevent fwbackups from starting."  It does not say it is always needed.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#8 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,107 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2016 - 06:18 PM

fwbackups-1.43.6.tar ....was downloaded to my desktop.

I obliterated the lot, because good sense dictates that i start again.

The reason I started this is ....I have a thumb drive with clonezilla on it....i boot to the thumb drive...but it will not recognise the "backup" drive I use....it attemps to backup to the same drive my OS is on........I have no idea how to "fix" that....my son set it up originally, but he is out of the picture now.

I just need a nice straightforward "recipe" to make a full backup. Space to store it is not a problem.

GcnI1aH.jpg

#9 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2016 - 07:57 PM

Sorry, I can't get one straight answer on how to do a full backup, so I don't do them, yes it sucks!

"fwbackups-1.43.6.tar ....was downloaded to my desktop."  Move this to your home folder as seen below.

T7lCE32.png

With Clonezilla you probably need to create a new backup instance in some way.  I don't use it so can't really tell you.  I do use other programs, and they tend to Store a Backup Setting, so it may be that it's trying to use one that is pointed to the OS drive.  Why it's not recognizing the Backup Drive I don't know.  fwbackup seems good but backing up the System files is better done from an external tool.

What are you trying to Backup, System Files, Personal Files or the Whole Lot?

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#10 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,107 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2016 - 08:10 PM

I would prefer to do the whole lot.

My approach has been to backup weekly

Then if there is some failure/meltdown/whatever.......I simply restore the whole thing, and away I go.

If only I knew how to rewrite the 'destination' blurb so the backup hard drive would be recognised....I would be in heaven.

GcnI1aH.jpg

#11 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2016 - 10:30 PM

Has this been done with this Destination Drive before.  I'm pretty sure it needs to be ext4 Formatted Drive to work, and that's why it isn't showing up.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#12 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,107 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2016 - 10:45 PM

Yes...it has been done many times before.....and yes it is formatted as ext3/ext4

I am currently having a play around with "Duplicati"

Initial backup is very slow..     however all subsequent backups are differentials....so only whatever has changed from week to week will be backed up in future

And the 'main screen" tells me there is 324854 files (128.13 TB) to go.....the drive it is sourcing only contains approx 45GB....so I am assuming that is a 'typo' in the program itself....

GcnI1aH.jpg

#13 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2016 - 11:02 PM

So Duplicati is working, was the drive Mounted before when trying Clonezilla?  Sorry that's all I got.  Need to learn Clonezilla as soon as I get a Backup Drive.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#14 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,107 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2016 - 11:10 PM

The backup is not mounted because I am booting to the clonezilla thumb drive.....cant boot to two at once. From memory there is a written dialogue somewhere which controls

what the clonezilla thumb drive does when booted and the backup feature is selected.

I will just wait and see what the duplicati thingy ends up with.

Thanks for trying.

GcnI1aH.jpg

#15 bob007

bob007

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2016 - 11:18 PM

Condobloke,

This may be of help to you...

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/632251/how-do-i-create-a-system-image-in-linux/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users