Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 10 freezes upon right click

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Mrs_Frank_Furter

Mrs_Frank_Furter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:47 PM

Posted 10 December 2016 - 02:13 AM

I just bought a new laptop last week and it has Windows 10 on it - which I am unfamiliar with but liking all except for one thing.

Every single time I right click on a folder in File Explorer it locks up. There is no unfreezing it - only closing it. It's quite frustrating having such a new computer and already experiencing such an issue.

I've tried following instructions on other websites to no avail. Downloading ShellExView and disabling all of the programs labeled in pink does now help so please do not suggest that.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 kaljukass

kaljukass

• Banned
  • 291 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:47 PM

Posted 10 December 2016 - 03:39 AM

1. Every single time I right click on a folder in File Explorer it locks up.
  2. There is no unfreezing it - only closing it. 
  1. what does it mean? Perhaps an explanation or a picture
  2. How do you close it, if it has been frozen?

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:47 PM

Posted 10 December 2016 - 10:17 AM

Start with this free tool:  http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/shexview.html

Use it to disable all non-Microsoft shell extensions (reboot required)

Then see if that helped the problem.

If it did, then renable 1/2 of them, reboot and see if it remains fixed.  Keep doing this until you've narrowed it down enough to find the one that's to blame.

Let us know which it is, and we'll suggest fixes.

If it doesn't fix it, then post back for more suggestions.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 Mrs_Frank_Furter

Mrs_Frank_Furter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:47 PM

Posted 16 December 2016 - 08:19 AM

I'm not exactly sure what is and is not microsoft shell extension, lol. When I open up this program there is literally like a list of 1,000 different things.

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:47 PM

Posted 20 December 2016 - 06:23 AM

My apologies for the delay in responding, lot's of personal stuff going on - and now I have a cast on my left arm :(

Click on the Company column header - that'll sort the output by the company.

Uncheck those NOT listed as Microsoft (they'll be listed both before and after "Microsoft" in that column)

Leave checks on those listed as Microsoft

Edited by usasma, 20 December 2016 - 06:23 AM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users