Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problems With Mcafee

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 jflynnde

jflynnde

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:03 PM

Posted 27 August 2006 - 09:45 AM

(Grinler, if you're still out there, I could use your help again - I posted this on "Spywareinfor" but haven't received much help)

I'm running Windows XP Home Edition Version 5.1 (SP1) and I've been using McAfee Security Center (with Personal Firewall, Privacy Service, and Virus Scan) for a few years without much problem; I get the automatic updates and yearly renewal. A couple of weeks ago, it tells me to go to the McAfee site and download new versions; which I do. Since then, I've been having intermittent problems ( Explorer will crash sometimes, kick me out and then I've seen problems with cookies). This weekend, it seemed to get worse; web-sites I've been into before won't let me in because it states that cookies aren't enabled. I'm sure they still are (Internet Options, privacy is set to medium and in the web-site's "edit" section, these web-sites are set to allow cookies) but I check and they still are. I then check McAfee Perental Controls and find the same thing (all these sites are still set for enable cookies and allowed access). So I try to go on the McAfee web site to get support and IT tells me I don't have cookies enabled. I finally give up (after trying everything I know how to do) and I go into Control Panel, Add/Remove software and uninstall the Privacy Service portion of McAfee - Lo and behold, I can get back into sites I was locked out of, including the McAfee support. So in I go and select the chat with a "technician" because if you want to talk to a real person, it's $2.95 a minute (WOW what a rip-off). So I wait my turn and finally get this guy and for the next 3 hours he tells me pretty much nothing, with long time-lapses in between each response. He wants to tell me how to set up Internet Explorer for cookies (which I try to explain I already know how to do) and then he wants me to re-install his software. I tell him I can't do that because if I do, I'm locked out of his "support" site. This goes on and on until finally I can't stand the frustration any longer and end the session.

At this point, I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced problems like this with McAfee's Privacy Service and if so, do you know any tricks I can use to fix this problem? Or, am I just chucking good money away by sticking with McAfee?

Thanks in advance!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buttoni

buttoni

• Members
  • 267 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:03 PM

Posted 27 August 2006 - 04:11 PM

Don't know about your cookie issues, but I do know there were MAJOR problems with the Mcafee Firewall upgrade to version8. So much so their forum mod told me they had to turn off updates for awhile and try to resolve the mess on everyone's machines. He said they were patching week of 8/21 (now delayed to week of 8/28)and would be turning back on the updates soon and to stay tuned to forum for details. I guess mine didn't autoupdate before they "turned off" updates because I still have MPF 7.1.113 and all attempts to manual update say I'm already up to date (which is not true, of course). Have to say I'm dreading the update to MPF8, though, considering the nightmare they've had the last couple of weeks.

I used to have Spamkiller, Privacy Service & VirusScan in the past, too, but had to uninstall them all because of update problems. Personally I got tired of the techs saying to "uninstall/reinstall the services" as the only solutions for their regular problems with updates! Haven't missed them at all. I run Avast4 Home Free AV and my ISP's spamblocker. No problems at all. I just have the McAfee firewall and it runs like a champ.

Right click your red M. If it shows you have MPF8, you may be experiencing the very connectivity issues I read all over the MPF7 & MPF8 forums the last two weeks. If so, you will have to go there for solutions/suggestions until their patch is available.

http://forums.mcafeehelp.com/index.php

Edited by buttoni, 27 August 2006 - 07:27 PM.

HP Pavilion desktop p6270z; 8 GB ram; Win7 Home Premium x64 bit; FX 4.0; DSL 2Wire modem/router; MVPS Hosts; Comodo FW 5.3(D+ & Sandbox enabled); MSSE; MBAM on demand.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users