Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer won't turn on and makes beeping noise

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Axckzhee

Axckzhee

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:03 PM

Posted 10 December 2016 - 12:57 AM

Computer model: HP 2009f

I ran a scan on my computer and a few hours later the screen froze. I tried typing and moving the mouse but it didn't respond. There are columns of horizontal lines in the screen. I turned it off by removing the power source completely, since it won't turn off if I just pushed the power button. Now I tried turning it on but the monitor just displays "No Signal" accompanied by beeping sounds.
Thank you in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:03 AM

Posted 10 December 2016 - 02:07 AM

Beeping sounds mean things by the way, do a search on the net to find out what they mean, besides that you could try taking everything apart and cleaning it.

#3 1PW

1PW

• Members
  • 316 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2016 - 02:56 AM

Hello Axckzhee and :welcome:

Unfortunately, "HP 2009f" may be the model number of the PC's 20-inch LCD monitor.  The correct PC model number needed here will be on the exterior of the HP Desktop PC cabinet.  Reference: HP Desktop PCs - How Do I Find My Model Number, Serial Number, or Product Number?

If you can, please try to identify and reply with the exact pattern of beeps emitted by the computer itself.  Assuming you have an HP Desktop PC, that beep code may then be readily decoded using HP Desktop PCs - Computer Does Not Start and Emits an LED or Beep Code.

HTH

Edited by 1PW, 10 December 2016 - 04:05 AM.

All viruses are malware but not all malware are viruses and if the malware doesn't self replicate it just isn't a virus.

#4 Axckzhee

Axckzhee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:03 PM

Posted 10 December 2016 - 06:16 AM

Ah my bad.. =^="

Model: HP Pavilion p6240d
Product Number: NY785AA-A2K
Serial Number: CNX94305K1

Thank you for your help. I found out that it's a memory problem (One short beep followed by a long beep). I have little knowledge about this, so I'll be needing all the help I can get. I'll be researching about it in the mean time, thank you again for your help.

#5 1PW

1PW

• Members
  • 316 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2016 - 06:45 AM

Hello Axckzhee:

The presence of any early start-up beeps indicates the Pavilion PC has failed its P.O.S.T.  https://encrypted.google.com/#q=power+on+self+test

You may wish to begin by reseating the PC's memory modules to see if the PC's operability is restored.  It does seem you have access to another computer.  So:

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/bph07107, and begin at page 31 that illustrates the location of your particular Pavilion PC's memory modules.

Additional and somewhat similar illustrations can be found with a Google search: https://encrypted.google.com/#q=how+to+reseat+the+memory+modules+in+your+PC

Videos of somewhat similar reseating procedures may also be seen at https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=reseat+RAM

If memory module reseating does not resolve the PC's P.O.S.T. issue, you may wish to undertake the next troubleshooting step.  Again, please reply with your progress.

A strong possibility exists that a Bleeping Computer Forum Administrator/Moderator may wish to move your topic to a more appropriate sub-forum.

HTH

Edited by 1PW, 10 December 2016 - 07:32 AM.

All viruses are malware but not all malware are viruses and if the malware doesn't self replicate it just isn't a virus.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users