Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Boot From Disc?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 nick_kjaer

nick_kjaer

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:33 AM

Posted 27 August 2006 - 09:31 AM

Hi guys,

I was given an old out of warrenty laptop from work which is locked. I was told to make it functional again all I needed to do was boot it from disc. I have a copy of Windows ME (out-dated I know, but ho well) and was hoping to install that onto the laptop so as to be able to use it as a throw around one, simply for writting letters, excel, powerpoint etc etc.

I have put the disc in to install, started the laptop, but every time it goes to the "ctrl/alt/delete" domain account login screen. Is there anyway of by passing this?

I can however access the Windows desktop by putting in my work login name and password when prompted, but surely then I can not install the new Windows ME over the top as I wouldn't have administrator rights?

Now I am a bit confused by what they meant with "boot from disc".

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Nick

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ahmedlibrian

ahmedlibrian

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:33 AM

Posted 28 August 2006 - 04:40 AM

Hello Kjaer!
Hope u will be fine. Well u need to properly install windows ME on your computer. 1st insert a bootable CD of the windows that you want to install. Then go inside the setup menu and change the boot sequence (i.e. first boot device : CD Rom). Then the computer will boot from CD Rom. From there you can installs windows.

If still problem persists then let me know. I will tell you some other ways to install windows.

Regards.

Ahmed.

#3 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:33 AM

Posted 28 August 2006 - 01:45 PM

From the setup menu, he means your bios menu. When your computer starts you will see a message statings something like Press F2 to enter setup or Press Del to enter setup. Press that key when the computer starts and you will get to the bios. Then you need to look in the for your boot order boot menu and make cd or atapi cdrom or something like that the first bootable device.

#4 suzeybq

suzeybq

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:33 AM

Posted 28 August 2006 - 02:45 PM

HI I have been basically doing the same thing... up grading my daughters computer from 98 to me.
I went to use the ME disk, and was told that I needed an up grade disk. So stupid like I formated C, and now when I open the computer it goes to the bios screen however I don't see any thing that says first boot device, it automatically is going to the A drive, when I go to type anything in, I get an error message saying invalid drive, insert disk and press any key.

How the heck do I get my computer to stop looking in the A drive and go to the CD rom that has the Windows ME disk in it??? :thumbsup:

#5 need TOS

need TOS

• Members
  • 888 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2006 - 03:32 PM

Your computer might not support the option to boot from the CD-ROM. You can probally download the setup boot disks to use that will boot up setup and then it will prompt you to insert the CD-ROM if it isnt inserted.

-NT
Forgiveness is forgetting about a past that could have been

#6 fleamailman

fleamailman

• Members
  • 200 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:33 AM

Posted 28 August 2006 - 04:15 PM

suzeybd, it is a bad habit to ask one someone else's thread because if the replies differ the advice could confuse. Anyway this idea is like memory lane to me so I am trying hard to remember.

If you are in A: then type D: and see if it goes to D: or try E: whatever, one of those should hit the cd rom drive. If you get D: or E: then type setup, and press enter. Also, if you are in D: you can type help which will explain your options.

I myself would probably not go for millenium because Linux ubuntu or kubantu are better supported.
everyday is a gift

#7 need TOS

need TOS

• Members
  • 888 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2006 - 08:34 PM

No just trying to switch to the CD-ROM drive while in the command prompt will not work unless you use the comman mscdex but then you will have to have a driver and enter in all of the information to make it work. I would recomend d/l a Windows ME disk from http://www.bootdisk.com You will then be able to access the CD-ROM drive after the computer boots up. It will then be either D: or E:. After switching to the CD-ROM drive type setup and setup will begin.
Forgiveness is forgetting about a past that could have been

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users