Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 10 - Ability to Control WiFi Connection Priority and Other Attributes

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,142 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:00 AM

Posted 09 December 2016 - 06:45 PM

Hello All,

One of the things I've found myself frustrated with is the loss of the ability to control the order of connection to known networks under Windows 10 via a GUI interface like existed in earlier versions of Windows.

One can, of course, combine the use of the WiFi Settings to forget networks along with Command Prompt to reorder them, but that splits what should be able to be done into two steps and involves Command Prompt, which a lot of people are not comfortable with.

In doing research on this I discovered a utility called WLAN10, by Bertware (it's freeware and the github download link is on the Bertware page referenced).  I have downloaded it, it passes antivirus scanning and scanning by Malwarebytes, and it works like a charm.  Although the developer notes you can delete the utility after you've done your cleanup and reordering, anyone who uses a laptop when "out and about" knows that you will collect a long list of network profiles that you'll never use again.  This utility makes it quite simple to forget these quickly and easily and to set/unset autoconnect and auto-switch properties.

I hope someone else might find this piece of software as useful as I have.  I haven't bought its developer a pizza, at least not yet!

Edited by britechguy, 09 December 2016 - 06:46 PM.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

~ Austin O'Malley

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:00 AM

Posted 10 December 2016 - 12:57 PM

::Edit:: Nevermind. Didn't see you mention the CMD method. Oops.

Edited by Trikein, 10 December 2016 - 12:58 PM.

#3 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• Topic Starter

• 8,142 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:00 AM

Posted 10 December 2016 - 01:52 PM

Trikein,

S'alright.  I was about to post a reply that said, "see the link starting with Command Prompt in the original post."  That being said, having that information posted again here didn't hurt anything.

I played with the Wlan10 utility last night and absolutely love it.  It's nice to have everything all in one place, even if a third party had to create that place.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

~ Austin O'Malley

#4 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:00 AM

Posted 10 December 2016 - 02:26 PM

That being said, having that information posted again here didn't hurt anything.

Only my pride, for not reading the entire post.  :blush:

Looking at the app, it also offers options you don't get with the CMD method. I will be sure to save the link, because it might be helpful to people with roaming problems between APs. Thanks!

#5 toofarnorth

toofarnorth

• Members
  • 384 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:00 PM

Posted 12 December 2016 - 05:15 AM

great little tool :)

thanks for posting it!

tfn

#6 Xoctane

Xoctane