Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Need opinions about a motherboard I bought

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Rayoptics

• Members
  • 63 posts
  • Local time:08:50 AM

Posted 09 December 2016 - 05:30 PM

Got a problem with a motherboard I bought on evilbay. I purchased this to run Windows98se. Is the seller just giving me a hard time ? 

EMachine Socket 370 Motherboard Cognac 112017 20000127 Tested Works Properly
                                                My message to the seller: Hi
I must have chewed up about 16 hours trying to get this board to work properly and load up Windows 98. I set the bios to default, I tried 3 different hard drives. Three different sets of IDE cables and two different ROM drives.  No arrangement I used would fully load the OS. It keeps giving me messages to put the disc in because it needs to install a vxd, dll or drv file. Installing Win98 is normally an easy thing to do, but not with this board. Something isn't right with it. Please advise.
                                                            Sellers reply:
you are having a driver issue with windows 98 there is nothing wrong with the board. that board was pulled from a xp machine and tested using mri programs. every board we sell goes through anywhere from 24 to 36 hours of testing before we list it. we almost never have a motherboard returned to us due to failure that being said. have you tried any driver software that would have the old drivers for wins 98 we have not had to work with 98 for at least a year and the last time we did we had driver issues as well we finally had to order a driver disc for wins 98.you are having a driver issue and what you need is a driver disc with the old wins 98 drivers
thank you

I wrote back that I have the diskette and the 98se CD. Never had a problem installing with these before. What do YOU think ? Thanks for your time.  :-(

Edited by Rayoptics, 09 December 2016 - 08:18 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,006 posts
  • Local time:10:50 AM

Posted 09 December 2016 - 06:08 PM

I managed to find a manual for the motherboard. It may not be exact but the layout looks almost identical. It does say Windows 98 is supported. But, Windows 98 asking for a vxd file indicates it cannot find a driver.  

If you want to verify XP works on the MB you can download an XP iso per this post. Use the first link. See if XP will install. If it does then it's likely there is some hardware on the MB 98 does not recognize. 

Edit: Additional info on the emachines cognac here. Unfortunately the download section is all dead links.

Edited by JohnC_21, 09 December 2016 - 06:38 PM.

#3 hamluis

• 54,991 posts
  • Local time:09:50 AM

Posted 09 December 2016 - 06:10 PM

FWIW:  My thinking about eBay...continues to be the same...some good vendors, some bad vendors, reduced warranties...every transaction is a roll of the dice for many inexperienced would-be purchasers.

I find that there are a sufficient number of reliable sources around...and the pennies saved in price may be paid in frustration and worry....don't compel me to buy anything on eBay.  Even though I have only ever had 1 RMA of components in my 20 years of playing with components/vendors...I would prefer that to the uncertainty which eBay represents in my mind.

Topic moved to Internal Hardware.

#4 shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  • Local time:06:50 AM

Posted 09 December 2016 - 07:19 PM

Just looking at that mobo and it douse nothing for me, i would have waited to get something nicer, as for win98 the one you want is win98se, its better supported with 3rd party mods.

i have this for my win98se setup with a add-on card so i can use a coppermine p3 750mgz Intel cpu.

#5 shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  • Local time:06:50 AM

Posted 09 December 2016 - 07:31 PM

Found this for cheap with some quick serching, way better bord for win98se.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users