Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My computer went blind?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 CAHisPCool

CAHisPCool

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2016 - 04:53 PM

So ive been running arch linux for a while but i came across a very strange problem. While i was on my computer it froze (which is another problem relating to my cpu) so i restarted it.

After restarting, there was no display. No motherboard boot thing, nothing. All my monitor said was "no source signal." I checked the lights in my mobo and found that it did pass the post. It even runs normally-i could blindly hit ctrl+alt+f2, log into root, and shutdown the computer like that.

My friend tried to find out what the problem was, so we set up ssh and ran some commands to see if linux was detecting the gpu, which it was.

So gpu works (im actually too lazy to confirm this), computer boots and actually works (we installed ssh blindly), monitor/cable is working (otherwise it would say "check video cable" instead), so we are completely stumped as to what is going on. Does anyone have any ideas on whats going on? Any help is appreciated.

Specs:
Asus m5a99fx pro2.0
Amd fx 9590
Xfx radeon r9 290
4x4gb g.skill ripjaws ram
Intel 770(i think) 500gb ssd
Corsair 750w psu
Coolermaster seidon 120m

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 7,731 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:34 AM

Posted 09 December 2016 - 05:14 PM

Hi and welcome to Bleeping Computer.

If you aren't seeing anything on the monitor (except "no source signal") after pressing the power-on button on your computer, it sounds like a hardware problem relating to the display.

I'll move this topic to the hardware forum.

#3 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,754 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2016 - 05:29 PM

Question - Is it the computer, the cable, or the monitor ?

First test - plug the monitor into a different computer, if it works the monitor is OK, if it doesn't the monitor is deceased.

Second test - plug a known working monitor into the computer. If it doesn't work -

Third test - change the video cable. If the known good monitor now works, the problem was the cable

If it still doesn't work then the problem is inside the computer.

Post back.

Chris Cosgrove

#4 CAHisPCool

CAHisPCool
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2016 - 01:12 PM

I guess I was an idiot and never suspected that it was the monitor's problem...

So yea it was the monitor, since I plugged the computer into another monitor and it worked fine. Thanks Chris! I guess I just didn't want to believe that my big ass monitor was broken :(

Anyway, now that problem's solved, does anyone know why my monitor might not be working anymore?

#5 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,754 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2016 - 07:19 PM

Sorry you now need a new monitor, but at least you know where the problem was !

The most likely problem area in the monitor is the power supply. In general monitors are not economically repairable if you have to take it to a repair shop but if you and your friend have some electronics expertise it might be worth having a go at it yourselves. Problems you are likely to run into are documentation - circuit diagrams are like hens' teeth - and replacement components if your efforts show it is a non-generic part that has failed. Capacitors for example are readily available but the ICs used are probably not.

Remember the substitution trick for the future !

Chris Cosgrove

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users