Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

lost internet, Comcast says no outage

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#1 ltdave

ltdave

• Members
  • 268 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:59 AM

Posted 09 December 2016 - 04:30 PM

reading email on tuesday, lost internet...

tried resetting my modem (surfboard 6141) 3 times, to no avail.  the "globe" indicator light was NOT on...

tried resetting my router (netgear W-something 4300) to no avail.  the "internet" light was orange (i think.  ive since tried more stuff and forgot)...

called comcast.  talked to some Indian gal who wanted me to "wait just a few seconds please", about 37 times.  she said there were "no outages in my area".  there WAS  lots and lots and LOTS of background noise/chatter and laughing...

i was showing "currently connected to: Netgear89" but it said No Internet Access underneath it (in the wifi access pop-up in lower right corner of the screen) so i plugged a cat5 cable into the modem and my laptop directly (avoiding the router) and i connected to the internet.  i told the girl, "Thanks!  ive got it" and then hung up because i couldnt take the noise anymore...

i figured there was something wrong with the WAN port or the circuitry since i could connect directly from the modem, so i bought a new router (Netgear dual band AC1750).  i wired it in properly (it doesnt take a rocket scientist).  the connection wizard wanted to make sure there wasnt already a router on the system (?) so it tried running some checks and it couldnt connect to the internet...

i went back to the store and bought a new router (ACCISYS surfboard 6141).  still no internet access because i needed to connect to Comcast to get it set up.  i was able to log into my Comcast account and go through the "3 step activation process" to the point it said "Congratulations David! your new device is activated and you can use it" (or something to that affect) and it said it would download another page/site to allow me to do something else related to connecting but THAT site never loads and it times out because.... theres NO INTERNET connection...

has anyone got anything i tell Comcast when i call them back and explain that ive replaced both my Modem and Router?  im sure theyre going to say "theres no outages in your area"...

i use this for business (sort of) but my daughters homework is almost ALL done online so i have to get this back up and running...

im running off my phone hotspot and its just devouring my data!  if you want to send me a text instead my number is 8 one zero - five 6 0 - eight 6 seven 6

thanks!

Edited by ltdave, 09 December 2016 - 04:32 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2016 - 05:05 PM

Might not be related, but there is a world wide trend of 169 IPs on Windows 10 machines. See thread here. I suggest connecting direct to the SB6141, reboot it  and wait for the lights, then on the computer connected to it try:

ipconfig /release

ipconfig /flushdns

ipconfig /renew

netsh winsock reset

Edited by Trikein, 09 December 2016 - 05:06 PM.

#3 ltdave

ltdave
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 268 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2016 - 09:21 PM

and this will allow the other 2 laptops, the 3 phones and 2 tablets to connect (through the router) as well?

#4 ltdave

ltdave
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 268 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2016 - 09:47 PM

i couldnt do the netsh winsock reset step because it said i needed to elevate to and administrator and i dont have any idea what that means or how to do it...

the other 3 DID get my computer online via a cat5 wired modem but i guess i needed to contact Comcast to "activate" that modem...

i put my original modem back on and am writing this post.  the previous post i used my phone as a hot spot.  i would just as soon return the modem and keep my original "paid for" equipment...

#5 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2016 - 06:56 AM

Your post is some what hard to follow. What model modem and router do you have connected now? Also, what OS are you computers?

#6 ltdave

ltdave
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 268 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2016 - 07:50 AM

i had a motorola sb6141 and it didnt pass any internet to the router.  i replaced it with the accisys sb6141.  it didnt make any difference...

i was told to cat5 connect the laptop to the modem and do a bunch of ipconfig stuff. i did...

then i put my original motorola sb6141 modem back on which is what im doing now.  im taking the new accisys modem back since its not a modem problem...

#7 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2016 - 08:55 AM

Accisys is not a known brand or manufacture. Might want to double check that.

Do you have the Motorola SB6141 connected direct to your computer and have you rebooted it? If so, is the globe indicator on? If not, you are having a ISP issue and not a networking issue. I would suggest checking all coaxial wiring and calling the ISP back to see if other modems in your area are online.

Edited by Trikein, 10 December 2016 - 08:56 AM.

#8 ltdave

ltdave
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 268 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2016 - 09:36 AM

Do you have the Motorola SB6141 connected direct to your computer and have you rebooted it? If so, is the globe indicator on? If not, you are having a ISP issue and not a networking issue. I would suggest checking all coaxial wiring and calling the ISP back to see if other modems in your area are online.

yes, youre correct its an ARRIS surfboard.  i took it back out of the equation since the MOTOROLA surfboard doesnt seem to be the issue.  i can return in...

yes, i am currently typing on the computer connected via cat5 to the MB SB6141.  theyve all been reset a dozen times or more...

when i called Comcast they said there's no reported outages in my area.  they kept wanting me to reset my router.  i connect to my router without a hitch, but there is "no internet access"   no%20inet_zpsantphsik.jpg

i bought a new router thinking there was something wrong internally not allowing the  internet to pass through.  the new router had the exact same issue...

i replaced the cat5 between the modem and router to no avail...

#9 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2016 - 09:57 AM

If your SB6141 is connected directly to your computer, then it is NOT connected to your wireless router and thus your wireless connection won't work. Instead, disable the wifi on your computer or unplug your netgear router then see if you can get online via your ethernet connection.We need to see if you can get online with the modem before trying to get online through the router.

Also, I notice what looks like some kind of School network management too, AKA CC4. Is that something you activly use? It may be effecting your network connection somehow. 

Edited by Trikein, 10 December 2016 - 10:21 AM.

#10 ltdave

ltdave
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 268 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2016 - 10:15 AM

yes, youre correct its an ARRIS surfboard.  i took it back out of the equation since the MOTOROLA surfboard doesnt seem to be the issue.  i can return in...

yes, i am currently typing on the computer connected via cat5 to the MB SB6141.  theyve all been reset a dozen times or more...

when i called Comcast they said there's no reported outages in my area.  they kept wanting me to reset my router.  i connect to my router without a hitch, but there is "no internet access"   no%20inet_zpsantphsik.jpg

i bought a new router thinking there was something wrong internally not allowing the  internet to pass through.  the new router had the exact same issue...

i replaced the cat5 between the modem and router to no avail...

If your SB6141 is connected directly to your computer, then it is NOT connected to your wireless router and thus your wireless connection won't work. Instead, disable the wifi on your computer or unplug your netgear router then see if you can get online via your ethernet connection.We need to see if you can get online with the modem before trying to get online through the router.

Also, I notice what looks like some kind of School network management too, AKA CC4. Is that something you activly use? It may be effecting your network connection somehow.

are you seeing what i made bold?  in 24pt type?

ive gone over this 4-5 times now...

cable to modem to cat5 to computer i GET INTERNET

cable to modem to cat5 to router i DONT GET INTERNET. i DO connect to my router (see picture again).  notice where it says im connected to Netgear89 but No Internet Access

i dont know what "School network management" refers to.  CC4 is my Control Center for my Brother Printer/Scanner...

#11 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2016 - 10:35 AM

You are aware that I have no motive to help you other then my personal enjoyment right? I am doing this to be nice. Attitude is not required. 

"cable to modem to cat5 to router i DONT GET INTERNET."

When you reconnect the modem to the router, do also connect a ethernet from the router to your computer? Before troubleshooting the wireless connection between the router and computer, we need to know if the internet is getting to the router first. Can you ping it's IP? Can you log into the router?

"notice where it says im connected to Netgear89 but No Internet Access"

Yes. Notice how it's a wireless connection? Wireless is NOT wired. Disconnect the wireless connection and look at the state of your "local area connection", AKA your ethernet connection. 

#12 ltdave

ltdave
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 268 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2016 - 11:11 AM

""You are aware that I have no motive to help you other then my personal enjoyment right?""  yep, i understand that.  what i dont understand is in posts 1, 4, 6 and 8 i did (and SAID i did) EXACTLY what you wanted me to do in your post #9.  certainly appeared as if you didnt read any thing i said...

with both the old and new router that i tried, it will connect wirelessly to my computer, but it will not give me internet access.

with both the old and new router that i tried, it will connect WIRED to my computer, but it will not give me internet access.

i dont think i have any issue with ""the wireless connection between the router and computer"". 

the ONLY internet access i have is Cat5 between my modem and my computer regardless of whether i use a new or old Modem, or old or new Router...

i cant ping ANYTHING, if im connected to my router via wifi or cat5.  i dont have any internet access...

Edited by ltdave, 10 December 2016 - 11:12 AM.

#13 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2016 - 11:24 AM

"certainly appeared as if you didnt read any thing i said..."

Reading and understanding are two different things. It wasn't clear what model modem you had. It was also not clear if you had a wired connection. I apologize if you had to repeat yourself, but troubleshooting something without being able to see or touch it is difficult. Like making a house of cards, it requires me to confirm some things before moving onto the actual issue.

" it will connect WIRED to my computer, but it will not give me internet access."

Ok, that is progress. Can you still ping the router's IP or log into the router? If so, what does the "internet port" connection status as shown on page 85 of manual for WNDR4300? Last, do you have the IP and DNS set to automatic/DHCP as shown on page 22? If you are using the new netgear router, what model is it? Netgear dual band AC1750 is a wireless speed which covers several Netgear models. IE R6300? R6700?

Edited by Trikein, 10 December 2016 - 11:41 AM.

#14 ltdave

ltdave
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 268 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2016 - 12:31 PM

Ok, that is progress. Can you still ping the router's IP or log into the router? If so, what does the "internet port" connection status as shown on page 85 of manual for WNDR4300? Last, do you have the IP and DNS set to automatic/DHCP as shown on page 22? If you are using the new netgear router, what model is it? Netgear dual band AC1750 is a wireless speed which covers several Netgear models. IE R6300? R6700?

i can ping (using CMD) the router 192.168.1.4 and i get this:

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]
Copyright © 2009 Microsoft Corporation.  All rights reserved.

C:\Users\David>ping 192.168.1.4

Pinging 192.168.1.4 with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 192.168.1.4: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=128

Ping statistics for 192.168.1.4:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 0ms, Maximum = 0ms, Average = 0ms

C:\Users\David>

i can "log-in" to the router (wirelessly to 192.168.1.1) and the home page shows ERROR Not Connected   in the Internet "box"

the IP address in the "internet port" block (the one shown on page 85) is 0.0.0.0

ive clicked the "renew" button (also as shown on page 85) but that doesnt do anything to renew the IP address

the NEW netgear router is an R6400 but i put the original '4300 back in place since the problem was there regardless of which device i had going...

Edited by ltdave, 10 December 2016 - 12:32 PM.

#15 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2016 - 12:53 PM

"i can ping (using CMD) the router 192.168.1.4 and"

"i can "log-in" to the router (wirelessly to 192.168.1.1)"

These two comments seem to conflict. Is the IP of the router 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.1.4? It should be 192.168.1.1. Is 192.168.1.4 your computer? Also, can you ping the modem at 192.168.100.1?

"ive clicked the "renew" button (also as shown on page 85) but that doesnt do anything to renew the IP address"

Did you confirm the ethernet from the modem is going into the router's WAN/Internet port? Also, did you remember to reboot the modem when connecting the router back to the modem? Each time you plug a different device (router, PC, etc) into the modem, the modem needs to be rebooted to attempt DHCP with the unique MAC address of that device. This includes devices that have been connected to the modem before. After rebooting the modem, make sure it has all the normal lights on the front BEFORE rebooting the router. 

After that, if the renew button doesn't get a IP, then I think something might be happening at the ISP level. Do you have normal Comcast service? Not Comcast Business or a static IP?

Last, make sure IPv6 is disabled in the router, as seen on page 113 of the manual for the WNDR4300. I assume that will be the router we will be working with going forward. If we get that online, we can later try the new router.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users