Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win 10 down to Win 7 still possible ?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Dragongirl

Dragongirl

• Members
  • 210 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:57 AM

Posted 09 December 2016 - 04:14 PM

My mom got a Windows 10 laptop {windows 10 home came preinstalled} and its well past the downgrade period, she wants ot install windows 7 Pro onto it. We know this is possible but its driving her and my brother nuts becuse of its stupidity {it keeps disconnecting from their secured network and hooking up to the nighbors open network {which requires a password when you get onto the internet}}

Now, they were recommended to install windows 8.1 Pro onto the rig, but my mom just doesnt want anything that continually screws up when she tries to use it, she, like my brother and myself, is used to winsdows 7, its got three years left of support, so why cant she just downgrade to that ? She's ready to shop overstock for a Windows 7 rig and take the 10 rig back to where she bought it at this point

But before she does anything, she wants my opinion on the matter, and I want to go to her as informed as I can concerning this. Is it still possible to downgrade windows 10 back to Windows 7 ? The guy she spoke to said that since its not sold in the store anymore {best buy} she'd have to bring a purchased copy of the install disc to have them install it. Right now she is thinking about it at this time

So, what do I tell her ? What do I do ? I personally am fed up with what my mom is going through with ten and its stupidity. Should she go to Overstock and buy the 7 Pro rig she likes there for the same price, or buy windows 7 to install it on the rig she's currently stuck with ?

PS: I'm not sure where to post this, but since its ten related, I figured here might be OK ? if its in the wrong place, mods please feel free to put in in the right area, thanks :)

The kitten that used to be linked to here in this signature now has her forever home!! Thank you for taking the time to read this signature!

"This is the coolest place I've ever been, and I've only been alive for three days!" ~ Figment

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Viper_Security

Viper_Security

• Members
  • 826 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:57 PM

Posted 09 December 2016 - 04:25 PM

If you have a Windows 7 number you can downlaod the Win7 ISO right from Microsoft's website here:   https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows7

If your machine came with Win10 on it then i don't think you can "downgrade" it to win7 without having to do a re-install.

Hopefully that was somewhat helpful!

IT Auditor & Security Professional

hQBT2G3.png

#3 Dragongirl

Dragongirl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 210 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2016 - 04:28 PM

Works wonderfully, thank you!

NOTE: The machine came with 10 preinstalled; so the note that we'd have to do a full reinstall of 7, this works perfect for their needs, thank you again!

Edited by Dragongirl, 09 December 2016 - 04:29 PM.

The kitten that used to be linked to here in this signature now has her forever home!! Thank you for taking the time to read this signature!

"This is the coolest place I've ever been, and I've only been alive for three days!" ~ Figment

#4 Viper_Security

Viper_Security

• Members
  • 826 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2016 - 04:36 PM

No Problem!

And yes, it most likely needs a reinstall.

It's recommended to back up your data first just in case, but im sure you know that!

GL;HF!

hQBT2G3.png

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:57 PM

Posted 09 December 2016 - 04:41 PM

If the computer came pre-installed with Windows 10 and there is no COA sticker on the computer showing a Windows 7 key you will need to purchase a license for which ever version, Home or Pro, you wish to install. Is this what you intended?

Edited by JohnC_21, 09 December 2016 - 04:41 PM.

#6 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,315 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2016 - 05:30 PM

If a machine isn't connecting to the network you'd prefer, wouldn't it just be easier to go into the Windows 10 WiFi settings and "forget" that WiFi network profile?

Or, if you don't want to forget a network because you sometimes use it, but prefer to force connection to available networks in a certain order, why not try rearranging the priority list for wireless network connections.  This article on HowToGeek entitled, How to Change the Priority of Networks in Windows 8. works in precisely the same way in Windows 10.

Why Microsoft ever took away the ability to rearrange connection priority in a GUI dialog I cannot fathom.  There are lots of instances where people have very good reason for creating a connection hierarchy depending on where they use their computer most.  All Windows machines use a priority to determine which of two or more available and competing WiFi networks to connect to first.  In this case it sounds like somehow, at one point or another, someone connected to the neighbor's network such that it is placed higher in the priority list than your own in-home network.  That's definitely worth checking out before downgrading to Windows 7, which is already past its regular support period and 2020 is a *lot* closer than you think.

Addendum:  If you are working with a laptop that has been used in many locations to connect to many networks the list you'll get back from the netsh command will likely be quite extensive.  It's worth going into the Settings, Network & Internet, WiFi Pane, Manage Known Networks Link and do a lot of forgetting to clean out all of those coffee shops, airports, etc., where you've connected to a network you'll likely never connect to again.

Edited by britechguy, 09 December 2016 - 05:35 PM.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Presenting the willfully ignorant with facts is the very definition of casting pearls before swine.

~ Brian Vogel

#7 Dragongirl

Dragongirl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 210 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2016 - 06:04 PM

Well, When XP support {and legacy support} ended, I still used it {four years longer than intended} I still have that rig. I'll let my mother know Britech, we'll look into that setup and see what we can figure out. Its driving her nuts because it keeps connecting to the neighbors network {which isnt secured, but once you connect and try to get on you're presented with a username and password screen}

The laptop has never been moved out of my mothers living room

Almost all my mtohers stuff she uses isnt compatible with windows ten to begin with; which is another reason she wants to revert back to Seven because her stuff works on that. She doesnt mind having to buy a copy of Windows 7 Pro {which at this moment their local computer store sells as well as {amazingly} XP Pro, Vista Business, Seven Pro {and ultimate}} if she has to go that route; doesnt mind either if she has to go get a rig with Seven preinstalled onto it too

Thanks again everyone :)

#8 britechguy

britechguy

• 9,315 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2016 - 06:12 PM

Dragongirl,

I offer the following with no guarantee of fitness, but I found it discussed on answers.microsoft.com.

See Bertware Blog and the download page at GitHub.  This utility appears as though it could be very, very handy for those of us who'd like to have easy access to the priority in which wireless networks will be searched for automatic connection (among other things).

BTW, I have programs running on my Win10 machine that date back to the XP era.  I have yet to find something that doesn't run.  I would be curious as to what doesn't work on your Mom's machine since enough people have said they have stuff that doesn't run that it has to exist.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Presenting the willfully ignorant with facts is the very definition of casting pearls before swine.

~ Brian Vogel

#9 Viper_Security

Viper_Security

• Members
  • 826 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2016 - 06:50 PM

About the Connecting to open Wi-Fi, there should be a setting that says something like " Prefer Open connections" somewhere in your settings, I'm using linux so i can't say where exactly but i remember seeing it. 

hQBT2G3.png

#10 Dragongirl

Dragongirl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 210 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2016 - 11:09 PM

Some good news! I sent my brother what you said to try Britechguy; he says for now it works. My mother said she will worry of downgrading to Windows 7 Pro after the holidays

Again many thanks to everyone for the adbvice of what to try and do before doing any concerning downgrading to 7 Pro

#11 britechguy

britechguy

• 9,315 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2016 - 11:57 PM

Dragongirl,

I'm glad to have been able to help.  As she uses Windows 10 more she may reconsider going back to Windows 7.

~ Brian Vogel

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users