Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unmountable Boot Volume

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 bgardner

bgardner

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:05 AM

Posted 27 August 2006 - 08:41 AM

My aunt has 12 yr old triplets that are "new" to the Lovely internet.

They had a crappy EMachine running XP on it and it kept crashing and wouldnt boot up saying [/b]"Unmountable boot volume"

I know what it meant and how it was missing the boot.ini file from windows (i believe it was called that)

it kept happening and I kept reinstalling windows

now i talked them into buying a new HP, brand new good system with windows xp home again

2 weeks in the same problem, unmountable boot volume, had to reinstall windows,

Any idea what these kids are doing to keep getting this, we are starting to think they are the cause of it and not the computer

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:05 AM

Posted 27 August 2006 - 10:57 AM

Is the computer plugged into a battery backup or a surge protector? My guess is it is and the device is more than 3 years old. If this is the case, plug the computer directly into the wall.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#3 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2006 - 10:11 AM

If you think it is the kids doing this and since it is now the second computer in a row doing this I would agree with it probably is the kids. Several ways to handle this, and no I am not going to suggest anything nasty.

1. Keep an eye on the kids like good supervision and watch what and where they go and what they do.

2. Purchase a program named Acronis True Image and a USB hard drive that is as big if not bigger than the original drive and make an image to the hard drive for backup to be restored at any time. Restoring this image only takes a short period of time opposed to re-installing Windows. Keep this Hard Drive away from the Kids, they probably know more than you give them credit for.

3.More supervision of the kids especially when they are on line. There are a lot of nasty sites that do a lot of damage to computers.

Having the compute ron a UPS is the best idea and I understand why you were asked to plug into the wall it could be the UPS.

#4 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2006 - 11:28 AM

Having the compute ron a UPS is the best idea and I understand why you were asked to plug into the wall it could be the UPS.

Yes, if in fact this computer is plugged into a UPS and the UPS is old or damaged through a lightening strike or some such similar event, then this may be the cause of the computer issues. I do not know if this is the cause in this case as we have not heard back from the original poster.

ThorXP is correct, in general it is best to plug your computer into a PROPERLY WORKING UPS, however, don't plug your laser printer into the same one that your computer is plugged into. And after approx. 3 years, UPS's are not to be trusted even if they appear to be working properly.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

#5 bgardner

bgardner
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:05 AM

Posted 28 August 2006 - 11:39 AM

CPU is plugged directly into the wall...

does this help?

#6 rubiconeye

rubiconeye

• Members
  • 156 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:05 AM

Posted 28 August 2006 - 01:00 PM

a couple of suggestions,

go to device manager, click on the disk drives icon, right click on you hard drive (boot drive if you have 2 or more), select properties, then click the 'policies' tab. untick the box 'enable write caching on the disk' click ok and exit.

also, have you any external hardware carried over from old computer and connected to the new one, ie, printer, scanner, any usb devices?

if so, disconnect them all, then if all is well after a period, connect them back one at a time, with sufficient period of time between each reconnection to ensure that the culprit is discovered, if indeed it is one of these devices.

#7 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2006 - 01:17 PM

Here is an idea to try to repair your computer. It requires 2 things, 1) your original XP disk, and 2) your computer needs to be set up to boot from the CD drive before the hard drive. If you have problems with either one of those two let us know. Here is the repair:
  • Put your original XP cd into the cd drive and start the computer.
  • If you see "Press any key to boot from the cd...." by all means press a key as we want to boot from the cd!
  • After loading some things the process will stop and you will be presented the opportunity to press the R key to start up the Repair Console.
  • Eventually you will get a DOS prompt. When you do, type chkdsk /p and press Enter. (Note that there is a space between the k and the /.)
  • When that completes you will be given the DOS prompt again. This time type fixboot and press Enter. (it may also be necessary to press Y and Enter if prompted).
  • When this process is complete, type Exit and press Enter.
As your computer is starting up, remove the cd from the cd drive and allow it to start up from the hard drive like normal. Hopefully all will be well.

Edited by Albert Frankenstein, 28 August 2006 - 01:28 PM.

ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

#8 tkcraw

tkcraw

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2006 - 06:06 PM

is there a 0x error or a stop error that comes up with this because that would help a great deal.

#9 tkcraw

tkcraw

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2006 - 06:19 PM

One fix for this error would be if you can get to recovery console by using either the 6 boot floppies or the windows xp cd try to run a command which is "chkdsk /r" without the quotations. Let that complete and type in EXIT to restart the system and it will boot back up. If this does not solve the issue then i would run the fixboot command

Good Luck

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users