Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Advice reqd re Bitdefender "problem" & also it's Imminent Renewal

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 tamba1

tamba1

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:49 PM

Posted 09 December 2016 - 01:28 PM

Hi I am running out of time as in just under 2 weeks my Bitdefender Internet Security 2016 Subscription will expire, which until recently I was intending to simply renew..

Just over a month ago, I had a potential problem with Bitdefender, which thankfully didnt cause me too much aggro as I too the easy option of just uninstalling/ reinstalling a couple of programms .. BUT I was caught unaware, as in all the years of using Sys restore on other PCs its worked perfectly.. When this problem arose a month or so ago, had I been experiencing a major system problem , then not being able to complete a successful restore would have been much more of an issue.

To be honest although it was annoying I didnt really think too much of it, as I was feeling particularly ill at the time .. ( Please bear with me as I am battling a longterm serious illness & as a result I try to keep things a simple as possible full stop.. including the running/maintenance of my laptop.. I no longer have the confidence I used to have to dive in & "fix" things or try out new things, & find it a struggle to understand as well as I used to ...  That being said my laptop is my " lifeline" to the outside world and I woudl be lost without it ...

About 2 weeks ago as my BIS is coming up for renewal ( less than 14 days) I did a quick google on the Syst restore scenario to see if it was really a "one off " or whether others had experienced the same problem & potentially coudl be more serious ..

I discovered it is a pretty common problem with Bitdefender Int Sec 2016.. having read this IS quite a big issue with Bitdefender, which left me concerned about renewing my subscription.

After a bit more research I discovered a forum post that suggested the real reason Sys Restore has not been able to complete... He too had found restore points had been made, but when trying to fall back to them was unable to do so, he felt  "Bitdefender was causing the problem, as the first times its installed/used apparatly it changes the Boot order from HDD to Bitdefender's Rescue Mode" http://www.eightforums.com/system-security/38323-bitdefender-wont-allow-boot-system-fully.html.." ( see the  final post dated 13 Jul 2014)

So having read his post I was HOPING to simply find changing the BIOS boot order on my ASUS ASUS N551JX, i7 ( win 8.1)
that I might be able to resolve the SysRestore problem & even avoid even having to unistall B.I.S .. ( which seems to have been working fine all year with the exception of that one incident) and

Having read B.I.S cld be a nuisance to uninstall, as the removal tool left bits behind, which caused problems when trying to install other Internet Security Software. I posted in a forum online for advice re this, at the same time as asking for complete instructions on how to "fully" remove bitdefender should I decide to do so..

The removal instructions were excellent, & very complete.. however as yet no-one seems to have been able to answer the question re system restore...and I am hoping someone here might be able to ...

Many Thanks in advance for your assistance

Tamba

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 52,059 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:49 AM

Posted 09 December 2016 - 01:34 PM

Did you ever check with Bitdefender Support about this?
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 tamba1

tamba1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:49 PM

Posted 19 December 2016 - 05:59 AM

Hi Quietman yes I did .. ummm I did via email intially that led nowhere

After your post I tried again & this time chatted via msgr with their 1st level support who eventually decided it was really somethng they were not able to answer & said they would get 2nd level support to contact me as a mater of urgency as my subscription expires on 22nd Dec ( now only 3/4 days time)

Basically they were telling me that YES it was true that aslong as Bitdefender was installed I would NOT be able to use System Restore "What you have to do to get the system restore to a some point . You have to uninstall Bitdefender|"

I clarified that he did mean UNINSTALL & not DISABLE or Switch OFF, & he confirmed " Uninstall... . Due to security facts

I explained I hadnt come across this before with other security programs Ive used , he added " Bitdfender doesn't allow the pc to make that major changes as i said due to security facts. You can uninstall Bitdefender make the restore and after that to reinstall it"

Since then I have googled about other apps & it seems that others also say you cannot do a full restore without disabling the program .. However to me disabling is VERY different to uninstalling ...

I guess at the end of the day, a healthy system wont need to use system restore often.. in all honesty I myself have only needed to use it once in 2016 which is when I discovered my " problem"..  However the idea of having to unstally my security in order to use Syst Restore does not seem right..and I have to assume its not something EVERYONE does or else other forums woudl have come back & said no problem its business as ususal we all do it that way ..

PLEASE can you give me your advice as I am not only a few days from expiry

I am SERIOUSLY thinking Bdefender really will need to be uninstalled & annual contract not renewed on the 22nd..

I look forward to your reply

Tamba1

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 52,059 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2016 - 07:02 AM

You may want to just switch to another anti-virus program. I generally recommend (and use) ESET NOD32 Anti-Virus or Emsisoft Anti-Malware as they are effective but leave a small footprint...meaning they are not intrusive and do not utilize a lot of system resources which slow down performance.

For more suggestions see Choosing an Anti-Virus Program.

See my comments in that topic and Supplementing your Anti-Virus Program with Anti-Malware Tools as to why I recommend ESET and Emsisoft.

#5 SkyForum

SkyForum

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:49 AM

Posted 27 December 2016 - 02:28 AM

I too am coming to the end of my Bitdefender subscription. I also had the issue of a fairly slow or non responsive support performance. I had a few problems, mostly with performance (scans not completing, etc) and never really got them worked out. 

I hear a lot of good things about the ESET NOD32. I think I will team that up with Hitman Pro and see how she goes....

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 52,059 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2016 - 07:01 AM

There shouldn't be any problems using HitmanPro with ESET.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users