Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wireless keyboard serious lag

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 dimmi1

dimmi1

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:48 PM

Posted 09 December 2016 - 10:56 AM

Recently my wireless keyboard has developed lag sever enough to make the computer unusable. I tried changing usb ports, different keyboard, new batteries. Nothing worked. Issue is present in browser, windows search, word etc. I have Win10. Any help is appreciated. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,482 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:48 PM

Posted 09 December 2016 - 02:31 PM

Is your computer sitting inside a cabinet? Usually the USB dongle for the keyboards has a very poor range. I had a issue like this last summer and just got a male>female 3ft extension cable and set it up on the desk. Now I have zero problems with stutter etc. Another cause would be low batteries, but I am sure you already tried changing batteries.

#3 dimmi1

dimmi1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:48 PM

Posted 09 December 2016 - 07:19 PM

No, it's on the floor. Keyboard worked flawlessly for about 2 years now. This is a recent issue.  Oddly, typing here hasn't been a problem. Typing on the address bar, in the windows environment and in word causes delays. Game playing is affected also.

Just tested it again. it's virtually impossible to type anywhere. 

Edited by dimmi1, 09 December 2016 - 11:24 PM.

#4 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,482 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:48 PM

Posted 11 December 2016 - 10:54 AM

What model of keyboard is it?

What OS are you using?

Google search and download the factory driver for your OS.

Windows updates drivers and in a lot of cases it causes more problems than it fixes.

Check device manager by typing devmgmt.msc in run or search box. Expand keyboard and on the sub categories right-click & choose properties and then driver tab. Under driver tab, check and see if the rollback driver button is grayed out or not. If it's not try rolling the driver back. If it's grayed out note the dates if it's recent & if it's from MSFT. Uninstall it and install the factory driver instead.

If the factory driver works for you then you should turn off Windows updates from downloading and installing drivers & overwriting them. Type in run or search box sysdm.cpl and open that & under hardware tab press the "Device Installation Settings" button. Set it to No click apply and oK to close. After an update you should check that it's still applied. Sometimes MSFT will change settings to default after a large update.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users