Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problems with Windows 10

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#1 Goose64

Goose64

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:07 AM

Posted 09 December 2016 - 08:30 AM

I have a question and a problem. First I'm not sure if I am posting this in the correct spot. I put win10 on my desktop like 3 days ago. I have had nothing but problems since. As crazy as this sounds, when I turned the system on today I could not even get to the sign in page. Just went to a black screen. But when I powered off the home page of the user account flashed. After many attempts I put in a recovery disk just to get to safe mode. Opened up a elevated prompt and the box had this for a path. c:\\windows.old\windows\system32\
Went to try a clean boot and it had the target is as 8.1. I tried everything I could find in the support forums and it got worse. Alot of missing files and folders. Boots to an error page that says Windows cannot load due to missing critical driver.
I'm sure I will have to wipe the HD but I would like to know what kind of issues am I gonna have. Any suggestions on the best way to do this?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,312 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:07 AM

Posted 09 December 2016 - 09:03 AM

I have requested a mod split your post from this thread. If the computer came pre-installed with Windows 8 or 8.1 and the computer is an OEM like HP or Dell the key is in firmware and will self-activate once online. 

I would first backup your data before wiping the disk. You can create a new install disk using the Media Creation Tool. If the computer still has the original factory restore partition you may be able to restore Windows 8 using it. You can verify if the recovery partition is still available by checking Disk Managment for a partition in the neighborhood of 20GB.

What is the make and model of the computer? 

I will be out for a bit so it will be a couple of hours or so before I can respond. If the computer is HP then tapping F11 at boot should give you the Recovery Wizard.

If doing a clean install using the Media Creation Tool you will have to reinstall some drivers. I can provide instructions on setting up the hard drive for the clean install including initializing it as a GPT disk.

#3 Goose64

Goose64
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2016 - 01:08 PM

I apologize for not including the rest of the info needed. BUT, actually the original OS was XP. It's a 11 yr old xps 400 (dell). Has all the stock parts, Intel ® D CPU 2.8GHz. The system info from BIOS: Dell DXP051, version AOO (9/01/05). Attached is the info. Not even sure i can access the cmd.exe now. Thanks for the reply and the help is appreciated

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,312 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2016 - 01:39 PM

How much RAM does the computer have. See the Windows 10 specs. If you were able to run 8.1 then 10 should run fine. The best solution is to do a clean install. Because the computer did not have Windows 8.1 pre-installed you have lost the key for activation therefor your only option now is to reinstall Windows 10.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/windows-10-specifications#sysreqs

If Windows 10 was activated you can do a clean install using the Media Creation Tool for Windows 10. 

Use this guide. It's for Windows 8.1 but the same steps are good for Windows 10. Where it asks for a key click next without entering anything. 

Is there any data you need off the computer? 

#5 Goose64

Goose64
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2016 - 06:32 PM

Hello JohnC_21. I been tryin to get into this system to get the info. Not goin good. My HD is a Maxtor 6L080Mo with 80Gig capacity. It has 2.5g of installed mem. Pretty sure I can run 10 but it had nothin but trouble i.e. drive issue in video controller, usb port issues Was able to staighten most of those out. As for the license, supposedly there is a 30 day period to downgrade with no issues. I installed mine off the MS support site. Same key from 8.1 was all they asked for. BTW, this is 10  x32bit. But bios says system is 64bit capable. Would that make any difference. I would attach some screen shots but have no way to do it. When it boots it goes straight to a recovery error page saying "critical system driver missing or errors. File: \Windows.Old\WINDOWS\System32\drivers\Intelide.sys   Error code: 0xc000000f

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,312 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2016 - 06:49 PM

If the computer came pre-installed with Windows 8.1 you can revert to it and it would still be activated. Is there any data that needs to be pulled from the computer? For access the factory restore partition on a Dell you would tap F8 at boot. 

See this video.

If you cannot get into these options you can force it by pressing the power button to turn off the computer. Press the power button again and when you see the spinning circle press the power button to turn off the computer. Do this 2 or 3 times and you should boot up to the Advanced Boot options as shown in the video.

#7 Goose64

Goose64
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2016 - 07:06 PM

No, I have no data to save. Only had a couple programs can get later. As to the original OS, XPS 400 came from factory with XP for the OS. Since then was Win 7, 8.1 PRO, now 10. Which like I said reverted itself back to 8.1 minus some files and drivers. Now it boots to the Win Boot Manager. I have to have installation disc to start it. Got a recovery disc but it don't want to load. Did manage to activate the F8 key but advance options do not wanna load. Assume its time to strip it down and start over??

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,312 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2016 - 07:25 PM

Sorry, I've got too many threads running through my head right now. Do you have the Windows 7 or Windows 8 install disk with a key?

#9 Goose64

Goose64
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2016 - 08:05 PM

I have neither disk. My up-grade was downloaded from the MS site free. The product key is the same as the one for Windows 8. To the best of my knowledge. That's why I was sayin bout the 30 day rollback. BTW, I know and understand ya'all are extremely busy and I do appreciate your help very much. But this does not need to be done in 1 day. Myself, I'm a disabled vet with nothing but time. So this is at your convience and schedule. The current OS as of this morning changed back to 8.1. It was like that on start up. Question: Would my Malware anti Malware program have anything to do with this.The only programs I added were Firefox and Chrome, and the malware program. Afterthought: When I initially got this system I removed about 23 viruses, rootkits, and some assorted no goods. I'm just tryin to throw it all at ya. Thanks

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,312 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2016 - 08:33 PM

No problem,

If you are currently at Windows 8.1 you can retrieve your key with Produkey. You can copy the key to a text file and save it to a flash drive.

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/product_cd_key_viewer.html

This will give you the option to either reinstall Windows 8.1 clean or do a reinstall of Windows 10. When you decide which OS you wish to use you can post back. If I do not respond then give me a PM.

Would my Malware anti Malware program have anything to do with this.The only programs I added were Firefox and Chrome, and the malware program. Afterthought: When I initially got this system I removed about 23 viruses, rootkits, and some assorted no goods. I'm just tryin to throw it all at ya. Thanks

No but the malware and rootkits would. I would recommend wiping your hard drive and doing a reinstall in any case. 

How much RAM is on the computer? The reason I ask is because if you only use the computer for browsing the internet, checking email, and some light programs like using Office Word or Excel you can install a linux distro like Mint. This essentially eliminate your malware issues as linux has a chance of getting infected between slim and none and no chance of getting infected with malware written for Windows. Linux would not use Office but a Office Suite for linux called Libre Office.

For people moving from Windows linux Mint is fairly easy to adjust to. Just throwing out an another option for you to consider.

There are different flavors of Mint. For your computer Cinnamon or Mate would be a good choice. Maybe Mate more than Cinnamon as it uses less resources. You can burn an iso of the distros to a DVD and boot to the Mint desktop to play around with it. No install is necessary. It will run a little slower because it will be running in RAM and off the DVD.

Video of Mint Mate

Video of Mint Cinnamon

Edited by JohnC_21, 09 December 2016 - 08:34 PM.

#11 Goose64

Goose64
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2016 - 08:50 PM

As far as getting any info off the computer it will have to be done with a recovery/repair program on a thumb drive. I do have one, called Lazesoft. Don't know all the secrets to it and then I would have to use the cmd. AND, not to sure if it will even work. Anyway let me do some checkin out the Linux stuff. Never used one so not to familiar with it. The ram your askin about I'm not sure. I don't see it in the BIOS. Unless I can get off the cmd on the thumb drive repair program. Like I said take your time I or the system aint goin anywhere. Just happy I got someone to point in right direction. Thanks  

#12 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,312 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2016 - 09:05 PM

If it's the Lazesoft program I am thinking about then I believe you can use that to recover your files. it can also be done with a recovery disk called UBCD and Parted Magic which is included in the disk. If you have trouble recovering your data let me know and we will use Parted Magic and an external drive or flash drive.

If all you have is a command prompt on the Lazesoft disk then you may have an easier time using Parted Magic which would be similar but not identical to Windows.

Edit: You can find how much RAM you have using the command prompt using the following command

wmic MemoryChip get BankLabel, Capacity, MemoryType, TypeDetail, Speed

Edited by JohnC_21, 09 December 2016 - 09:11 PM.

#13 Goose64

Goose64
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2016 - 12:01 AM

I tried the recovery in Lazesoft to no avail. Now its possible I missed something. But, I checked out the Linux systems. They sound decent, thinkin that would almost be better. I attached a pic of the memory readout. Easier to do that way. The HD is 80G, according to the BIOS. If you think it woiuld be easier or better to do the Linux, lets do it. Anyway , thanksAttached File  20161209_2138501.jpg   130.08KB   0 downloads

#14 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,312 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2016 - 08:52 AM

Note: If you have any devices like a printer you may not have drivers in linux. Do you have a printer/scanner? If so and drivers are not available then you should stick to Windows 10. 

You can still download Mate and burn it to a disk to test and we can use it to recover any data on the hard drive. What are you currently posting from. Can you burn a DVD or if a DVD is not available do you have a spare USB flash drive without any data on it?

What OS are you currently posting from?

Edited by JohnC_21, 10 December 2016 - 08:55 AM.

#15 Goose64

Goose64
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2016 - 01:20 PM

Mornin. No got no printer or scanner sure I probably won't either. I'm posting from samsung laptop running the Win 10. I did both these systems and this one works great. Slow browsers the only issue. I am out of disc but I can dig up a flash somewhere. I was attempting to recover the lost files let me check see how that was going. I'll get back to you soon.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users