Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Network list available, but can't connect

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Wolverine94

Wolverine94

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:32 PM

Posted 09 December 2016 - 08:33 AM

Hello,

I will try and explain this the best I can, in hopes that someone out there is having the same issue and knows whats going on. 

I have an ASUS laptop that is not able to connect to the internet. I have never had this problem before and I have owned it for around 4 years. When I boot it up and try to connect to the internet, it shows an available list of networks, but will not connect. I have purposely typed in the wrong security code when connecting to the WiFi in order to see if it was just getting hung up on that step, but it let me know the credentials were invalid. So I typed in the correct code and it just shows no internet connection and that it is continuing to try and identity the network. I know that this is a problem with the computer, because my desktop computer and PS4 are connected and running fine, so it can't be the WiFi. 

I dug deeper into the laptop and took it apart to get to the WiFi card. I took it out and then reconnected the two wires in hopes that maybe they were just loose. No luck. 

Should I maybe re-download the wireless driver and uninstall the current file under the properties in network connections setting?

Let me know if anyone has had this same issue. 

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,287 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:32 PM

Posted 09 December 2016 - 12:14 PM

Welcome to Bleeping Computer.

There is another thread in the Network forum regarding this.  You can try running the four commands listed below to see if it resolves your issue.

ipconfig /release
ipconfig /flushdns
ipconfig /renew
netsh winsock reset

#3 Wolverine94

Wolverine94
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2016 - 01:50 PM

Welcome to Bleeping Computer.

There is another thread in the Network forum regarding this.  You can try running the four commands listed below to see if it resolves your issue.

ipconfig /release
ipconfig /flushdns
ipconfig /renew
netsh winsock reset

Thank you sir. I must have missed it when I looked through. I will try it and post what I find out. 

#4 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,287 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2016 - 02:13 PM

It wouldn't have been obvious.  It is the one with the 169.254.x.x title.  A lot of support people are seeing issues where the machines are not pulling an IP address and there doesn't seem to be a common factor.

#5 baines77

baines77

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2016 - 01:52 PM

If it's not an IP issue as mentioned, do you happen to have an Intel AC 7 series adapter?  I've run into several lately that have a bum driver.  The latest is 19.xx something-er other.  Actually just dealt with this issue this morning for a client... 

#6 Wolverine94

Wolverine94
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2016 - 04:41 PM

Thank you all for giving me your feedback. I did end up fixing the computer. I ran a virus scan using Malwarebytes, in safe mode (it didn't work normally) and had to uninstall and reinstall the driver. That seemed to fix the computer. 

I had another guy call me today having the same problem. We did the same thing to his computer and it fixed his too.

Thanks guys for your help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users