Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Registry seems to be totally corrupted

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Tamimwm

Tamimwm

• Members
  • 181 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:33 AM

Posted 09 December 2016 - 03:49 AM

Hey everyone,

I had a small issue ( related to driver update I think ) that made my sound icon disappear . So i looked a round online and came across the sevenforums. My pc is windows 8.1 by the way so I found a solution  which seemed to work. It basically was a registry file to fix this minor issue.

As a precaution I thought to make a safe copy of the registry incase anything went wrong and so I did. Thus I went ahead downloaded the registry file and restarted the pc. Basically nothing happened so I thought well I better revert back my registry because the fix didn't work.  And so I did , I open regedit and imported the safe keep copy of my registry ...

And here is when things start getting wrong , first I got an error saying that I may not have full administrator privileges  or the system is using the registry so it can't be changed or so...

Basically a minute or so later my pc lagged and the screen flickered continuously so I had to force shutdown, since then my pc won't go beyond the loading screen and is always showing me a black screen when I turn it on in windows.

I have my hdd divided and linux installed. I am able to access my hdd and I had already backed up all my data for worst case scenario. My harddisk is fine and I had already ruled out any hdd issues. I have tried to force shutdown my pc ( twice ) to get to that blue diagnostics page where I tried to back up my pc from a recent backup point but the backup failed and the restore point got corrupted and deleted.

Is there a way to fix without formatting my device ?

Thanks in advance

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 kaljukass

kaljukass

• Banned
  • 291 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:33 AM

Posted 09 December 2016 - 05:27 AM

If it's all true, what You told, then there is no other way, 
Reinstall Windows, maintaining personal files and folders, that's the only way.
If You have backup copy of them, that can be trusted, is better to do full and clean reinstall.

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,854 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:33 AM

Posted 09 December 2016 - 08:11 AM

Before formatting the disk can you still boot into linux?  

#4 Tamimwm

Tamimwm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 181 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2016 - 08:28 AM

Yes as a matter of fact I am using linux right now .

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,854 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2016 - 08:35 AM

Browse to the following folder. C:\Windows\System32\config\Regback

Is the date listed for the registry HIVES before your problem? 

I am heading out for a bit so if the registry hives do have a date before the problem do the following. In the C:\Windows\System32\config folder are you registry HIVES.

Rename the following with a .bak extension

DEFAULT  to   DEFAULT.bak

SAM  to  SAM.bak

SECURITY  to  SECURITY.bak
SOFTWARE  to  SOFTWARE.bak
SYSTEM  to   SYSTEM.bak

Copy all registry HIVES in the Regback folder to the config folder.  Reboot.

Edit: changed commas to period because I can't see.

Edited by JohnC_21, 09 December 2016 - 08:54 AM.

#6 Tamimwm

Tamimwm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 181 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2016 - 09:47 AM

I didn't find a config file in system32 instead i found a file called configuration. After a little search I found a config file in sysWOW64. The config file in sysWOW64 is empty.

I don't know if it helps at all I have a copy ( export using regedit ) of my registry before the whole mess happened . I don't know if it will be useful but it is still saved on my pc and I can access it.

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,854 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2016 - 10:31 AM

I have Windows 8.1 64bit and there are no registry hives in SysWoW64. That is normal but you have to have a config folder with Registry HIVES or Windows 8 will not boot.

Attached Files

Edited by JohnC_21, 09 December 2016 - 10:33 AM.

#8 Tamimwm

Tamimwm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 181 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2016 - 11:50 AM

I too have a windows 8.1 64bit. Well according to the image you uploaded I have the ( almost ) same exact thing but in sysWOW64 .

If you check out the attachment; you made me really curious as to what might had caused that to happened.

Attached Files

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,854 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2016 - 12:02 PM

I have those also but there are no registry HIVES in the SysWow64 folder. You need the config folder in the System32 folder with all the files and subfolders I show in my image. I am not sure what happened but if you cannot find the config file and the files/subfolders inside then you will need to reinstall Windows 8. Reinstalling Windows 8 will break the grub boot loader and to restore booting to linux grub will need to be rebuilt. You can ask about rebuilding grub in the linux forum after reinstalling 8.

Even a backed up registry will not solve the problem of no HIVES in the config folder.

#10 Tamimwm

Tamimwm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 181 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2016 - 12:04 PM

Oh well I guess i should rest my case and accept the fact that I need to reinstall windows and literally everything else. Nevertheless all your help is appreciated.

Edit: I made a search in the system32 file, rather than my manual search it actually found the config file with all the other components and templates. I will do all the renaming in post 5 and post updates tomorrow .

Goodnight and thanks

Edited by Tamimwm, 09 December 2016 - 12:18 PM.

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,854 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2016 - 12:15 PM

No problem. You said in your post you could not find a config file. Did you mean file or folder? 

Edit: I suggest when you have both Windows and linux booting correctly with all updates create a complete disk image with Macrium Free. I have never did this to a dual boot but according to Macrium you can restore a dual boot system using the disk image option. Using Macrium and the bootable disk or flash drive it creates you can restore the disk image and be back in business vs hours. Create regular disk images on any program or large update change. Backup your important files to two devices.

http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.aspx

Edited by JohnC_21, 09 December 2016 - 12:19 PM.

#12 random/random

random/random

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,704 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:33 AM

Posted 10 December 2016 - 07:24 AM

If this is the same system as in https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/620210/infected-with-xifsexe-and-firefox-wont-stop-crashing/ , you may still have backups of the registry hives in C:\FRST\Hives

#13 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,854 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2016 - 09:01 AM

If this is the same system as in https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/620210/infected-with-xifsexe-and-firefox-wont-stop-crashing/ , you may still have backups of the registry hives in C:\FRST\Hives

Thanks random/random. I will have to remember this.

#14 Tamimwm

Tamimwm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 181 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2016 - 11:14 AM

Thanks random/random. It is the same system .

@JohnC_21 I meant folder and I found it, I renamed the files as you  and replaced them into the config folder , I restarted my pc and through grub I chose windows.

The toshiba loading screen was shown for around 2 -3 minutes , after that the screen went blank.

I waited for 10 mins and then force shutdown my pc. And restarted it in linux and here I am.

Edit: If you have any other ideas , I am ready.

Edited by Tamimwm, 11 December 2016 - 11:15 AM.

#15 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,854 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2016 - 11:21 AM

Unfortunately it looks like you will need to reinstall Windows and then repair grub after the install in order to boot linux. The other option is to dump Windows 8 and stick with linux but that probably isn't feasible if you decided to dual boot.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users