Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Purchase Template: Need new computer

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 TedBaxter

TedBaxter

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:23 PM

Posted 09 December 2016 - 03:34 AM

Laptop or Desktop? Laptop

My budget for the new computer is: $2,000

What are the primary uses for this computer (IE: mail, web browsing, programming, games, etc)? transferring video files from VHS video tapes & DVR to proposed laptop via a video grabber, editing videos (i.e. cutting off ends & some pieces in the middle) (video files are in 4:3 & 16:9 aspect ratios), word processing, spreadsheets, e-mail, basic internet surfing. DVD burner required.

What software do you intend on using on the computer? Excel 2003, Word 2003, Kworld video editing DVDmaker2.

Do you play games? If so, what type of games? No

Do you tend to have a lot of programs running at the same time, or do you close every program when you are done using it? when not video editing, perhaps, word, excel & internet

Do you store a lot of pictures or music on the computer? pictures - yes, music - no, video files - yes

Will you be overclocking? no

Location for online shopping/shipment/prices? Canberra, Australia

How many monitors are you planning to use? 1

Do you need peripherals? OS? mouse, keyboard / Windows 10

Any particular reason why you are upgrading? Old PC is 6 years old & clunky. New laptop to do video editing & grabbing. I am considering a portable hard drive, so it can be detached whilst not in use. The advice I have received from 3 retailers (all agree) a solid state hard drive is the way to go.

any assistance is appreciated.

Edited by TedBaxter, 09 December 2016 - 03:38 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,618 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:23 PM

Posted 11 December 2016 - 06:55 PM

Acer has a good line of gaming laptops, I have purchased 2 over the years for my son (one of them got stolen when he was in college) and he was totally happy with both. This is the closest to his specifications that I could find, but there are several on Newegg. He doesn't run video editing, but does run Pro Tools audio editor with no problems. This has a 17" screen which makes it heavier, but a lot nicer for video editing. The battery probably will not last as long, and if you want to hike this around all the time it may be a bit cumbersome.  It has integrated video and 4gigs on the card. If you are going to do video editing you will want a powerful graphics card. You didn't mention if you were going to do encoding or not, but pretty much everything in video requires the video card to do the heavy lifting more than the CPU.

Hope this helps

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIAAVC49H2425&SortField=0&SummaryType=0&PageSize=36&SelectedRating=-1&VideoOnlyMark=False&ignorebbr=1&IsFeedbackTab=true#scrollFullInfo

[EDIT]: I just noticed that you are from Australia, so I am not sure if Newegg will ship there. But if you are interested you may find a local retailer that has these.

Edited by ranchhand_, 11 December 2016 - 06:59 PM.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#3 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:23 PM

Posted 12 December 2016 - 04:54 PM

For $2000 you should be able to get a monster laptop, i know here in canada it be pro at that price.

#4 JohnWJ

JohnWJ

• Members
  • 201 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:23 PM

Posted 19 December 2016 - 10:14 AM

Try these websites

http://www.affordablelaptops.com.au/

http://www.harveynorman.com.au/computers-tablets/computers/laptops

Plus there is also Dell and HP in Australia

John