Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win 10 Update s Edgehas Replced all my Appsr Edge Apps and I cannot remove fo

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Dazza

Dazza

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:20 AM

Posted 09 December 2016 - 01:14 AM

Can I get some Help please - "Win 10 Edge Update s are Hi-Jacking replacing all my Apps for "Edge" Microsoft Apps and I cannot remove Edge or change back to my.,.."  

Thats the General situation? I am assuming because Yesterday was MS-Update Day "Tuesday" that is whats happened' first up this morning EDGE Popped up as My Browser had hijacked Firefox as my 'Home Page and Web Browser I have allways used Firefox so I reset FF to be my Default Browser again. But then all the Other things started going Haywire its a Disgrace. MS Edge or Win 10 Updates are Defaulting all My Auto Start Programs and  default Apps and wont let me Default apply  my apps? This is the Second time in 18 months it seems only after some Win 10 updates, Edge resets itself as the default video, MP3 Player, Picture Editor? It seems that - that they are all everything to do with Microsoft or Edge defaults?

I cannot fix it I tried to change Back to Media Monkey, MC.CP player, Picasa and all of my other APPS I can Select say Media Monkey over Win Media Player > Choose M M as Default From the Drop-down List of suitable Apps' but they will not Install Microsoft or EDGE is Stopping me and  Is blocking me from choosing or Changing my Auto Start apps and making me use theirs any help would be greatly appreciated thank You in anticipation    :hello:  :)  Dasha

2013 DELL Inspiron 660, Intel 4 CPU - 2.4 GB, 512 Meg Ram, 64 bit / BEN-Q 21.5" Scr,

Windows 10, Weston 1000 T-byte HDD - Partitions -  G, -  H, - I, - J 

CCleaner, Kaspersky (Full Version) MWMByts Weekly

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 kaljukass

kaljukass

• Banned
  • 291 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:20 PM

Posted 09 December 2016 - 02:06 AM

Very difficult to help because you do not submit accurate data. Also
- in December Windows has not received any updates
- as you know, there isn't any compatible Picasa versions for current Windows 10,  have never been. (latest Picasa released on October 15, 2015)
- Are you saying that you're not in the last 18 months made no clean installation, even when was updated from version 1511 to 1607?

You Windows is simply very damaged and full of outdated files and registry keys.

#3 Dazza

Dazza
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2016 - 07:29 PM

Could an Administrator read this and Adjudicate please?

Quote by kaljukass.: Very difficult to help because you do not submit accurate data. Also
- in December Windows has not received any updates
- as you know, there isn't any compatible Picasa versions for current Windows 10,  have never been. (latest Picasa released on October 15, 2015)
- Are you saying that you're not in the last 18 months made no clean installation, even when was updated from version 1511 to 1607?

You Windows is simply very damaged and full of outdated files and registry keys. End Quote

Okay... kaljukass.. I am sorry if I angered You' I just wanted some help?

I just updated my Signature from 2013 to 10-12-2016  and you will note that my Computer is far from being unprotected or full of Junk

Kaljukass If you could still explain to me how MS EDGE and Microsoft Apps would Take over my Computer' over-night when I have never used either Program" and my Computer was working Perfectly before I went to bed so I may be able to believe or accept what you are referring too

Please go Back and read Carefully what I had written and what I had described in my first Post on this subject? And please also read carefully what I have 'Detailed Here' for your Benefit? Something is wrong with my PC and i just wanted a Clue on how to remedy it if it involves a Clean install so Be it" just tell me How to? I have always had brilliant and Patient assistance here over many years; Disparaging Sarcasm is not a required 'ability' in this Forum and in my case it's certainly not appreciated

So to the Questions

1) If  it's normal that Picasa whether its Google Photos or Smoogle Pics has been Changed, as My default 'Picture App' Overnight after 10 Years or more that is OK then let me Know

2) If MC CP (Media Player Classic) has been Hijacked and changed to Default as "M S Films & TV"

3) If My Media Monkey Tuner Player Audio, MP3 App has been Defaulted too M S "Groove"

4) If MS Word 2016 is asking to be my Default 'docx' app after 15 Years

5) If My Firefox 'Web-browser and Home Page' Has Been Changed and is No Longer My Default and EDGE keeps Popping up asking me to Make it my Default Browser is this all normal?

6) AND then when I try and change them all Back VIA > Settings > Choose Default,'s Applications and Half of them (all Microsoft) Apps) are Locked in and Could not be changed back" even after I had selected and clicked on my own Apps for that task?

If any of this is Normal then I would have to ask you what has a 'Dirty Computer' Got to do with any of that and what has caused your aggro"  I only wanted Help? I described as well as I am able' every Issue in Detail including the Coincidence of Tuesday Nights Being MS Update Night regardless of My having checked to "Let me install Updates" as this has Happened not once but 3 or more Time s Before

3 Times the Computer had even turned itself off after what I am guessing was an MS Update and had been installed? something had gone on overnight?

Twice I have found the computer off, and once when I start it – it went  straight to my "Microsoft  Account" instead of My "Local Admin account" there are a couple of Lot More 'incidents' Like the crazy MS Account Passwords  and  being Locked out of my computer because of them for two weeks the very First time I started this PC out of the Box (read other Forums)? I just wanted  some advice and to get my Computer fixed Please?

And please kaljukass' Let me say' we are not all computer experts - far from it, that's why we I Look up to the people in This Particular Forum and have been for Many Years, their patience understanding and Kindness cannot be found else-ware.

If You think I am unworthy of your Talents and Achievements' then please just  Ignore Me and if I am mistaken about all I have written please advise me, but what you have written means I will Proberbly have to Re start this 'Thread' all over again, as Nobody else will read it or help after your comments OR at the very Least I have wasted 2 Days whilst sorting all this out and while they were probably thinking you were assisting me....  OR NOT

Can an Administrator please advise me  Please  Regards Dazza

Edited by Dazza, 09 December 2016 - 07:45 PM.

2013 DELL Inspiron 660, Intel 4 CPU - 2.4 GB, 512 Meg Ram, 64 bit / BEN-Q 21.5" Scr,

#4 opera

opera

• Members
  • 1,026 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:20 PM

Posted 10 December 2016 - 01:41 AM

Dazza try right-clicking on the start icon/button and selecting Control Panel.

Then under Default Programs set you defaults, okay them at end, restart machine and see if they stick then.

#5 Dazza

Dazza
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2016 - 05:10 PM

Good morning opera, Have done as you advised and all seems Okay. I am  just waiting' until I am sure its all good and then I will return here tomorrow and close this thread Thank you very much for your help opera, as allways it is Greatly appreciated

:thumbup2:   Regards Dazza

#6 Dazza

Dazza
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2016 - 10:32 PM

Dear kaljukass Please accept my apology for my 'tone' in my Reply to your 'Post' to me on the 10th December. I misunderstood your meanings and the reasons for them. As you can see" I did Request an administrator to 'adjudicate' to correct me if I was mistaken" for this very reason and it was He who did reply to me and pointed out that you had been correct and you were only trying to help me in your own way and I had been Wrong I had misunderstood you and reacted incorrectly' for that I apologise sincerely and I hope you will understand and I assure you and all in this forum who have assisted me so many times for so long that that will never Occur again  Regards Dazza

#7 opera

opera

• Members
  • 1,026 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2016 - 02:07 AM

Good morning opera, Have done as you advised and all seems Okay. I am  just waiting' until I am sure its all good and then I will return here tomorrow and close this thread Thank you very much for your help opera, as allways it is Greatly appreciated

:thumbup2:   Regards Dazza

Good to hear it seems to be okay for you at the moment.

We all help each other when we can  :)

#8 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,125 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2016 - 06:44 AM

I too am glad you have resolved your problem.

However, in fairness, Kajulkass did have at least one valid point. Because of the way Win 10 updates - including essentially completely new versions of Win 10 - inevitably there will be some accumulation of 'junk files'. I do not have a great deal of experience with Win 10, I don't have it on any of the computers under my control, only from working on other people's computers but I understand that it is possible to download the ISO of the latest version of 10 and do a type of re-set install which leaves your data and applications untouched. It is of course a good idea to back up all your data before trying this type of step!  If you look around the Win 10 forum you will find the instructions for doing this.

I also understand, from reading the forums, that when a large Win 10 update comes along it has the annoying habit of re-setting your settings to MS defaults. Not my primary reason for not using Win 10 but certainly a contributing factor, and I suspect this is what happened to you. And of course, MS pushes out Win 10 updates as and when, they are not restricted to 'Patch Tuesday' as other versions are, something I overlooked.

Chris Cosgrove

#9 Dazza

Dazza
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2016 - 07:17 PM

Thanks Opera You..... certainly Do' :)

Thank You Chris I appreciate all of what you have said and I shall 'Go Seek info' in Windows 10 Section  and I will try and a "Clean reinstall" I think it is Called? Again Thank You for Your Assistance and all of your advice Regards For now     Dazza :thumbup2: 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users