Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Why is Oracle VM Virtual Box installed on my Windows 10 PC?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 aviation1972

aviation1972

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:37 PM

Posted 09 December 2016 - 12:22 AM

I need help solving a mystery. On October 1, 2016 Oracle VM Virtual Box, version 4.3.12 was installed on my Windows 10 PC. I just noticed it today, December 8, 2016. It takes up 80.5 Mb of space. I have plenty of storage. So, that's not the problem. The problem is that I don't believe I downloaded and installed it, and I have no idea what it's doing on my PC. What function(s) is it performing? How can I find out? I want to uninstall it, but not if that will ruin my computer's operations. Only one other person has access to my PC, ( a family member ), and that is only as a "guest" account. I want to know whether or not they may have installed this, and if so, why? I don't want to ask them, ( obviously ). That's why I'm asking for your help here. Thank you very much.....  aviation1972

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 5,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:37 AM

Posted 09 December 2016 - 12:49 AM

G'day aviation1972, and Welcome to BC

A VirtualBox or VB is a software virtualization package that installs on an operating system as an application. VirtualBox allows additional operating systems to be installed on it, as a Guest OS, and run in a virtual environment.

I know it all sounds a bit spooky...but "virtual machines" are in common use. I use one myself. (Oracle VM VirtualBox Manager)

My main operating system is Linux. Because I spend quite a bit of time working on windows 10 machines, I also need access to a working, up to date copy of win 10. I installed win 10 inside a VM......easy to do...requires very little space....and works like a dream. And any time i wish to get rid of it...right click, select delete and its gone !

Uninstalling should not present any problems.

Why it was installed  ?.....maybe to experiment with another operating system such as linux......?...or to run an old game or app that wont run in windows 10...(but used to run in win 7 or xp)....?

Read Here

Here

and Here

If i knew the age of the family member I could probably hazard a more accurate guess as to their intention....

I wouldnt lose any sleep over it.....in fact.....embrace it and have a second OS (operating system) on your PC

LINUX.

(I gave win 10 the 'flick' some time ago and have never looked back

The Linux Forum on BC

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  

fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

Microsoft gives you Windows, Linux gives you the whole house...

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

#3 aviation1972

aviation1972
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:37 PM

Posted 09 December 2016 - 01:10 AM

Thank you so much for your prompt and thorough reply. I greatly appreciate it. I guess my major concern is that my family member, ( even though logged-in as a "guest" ), may have downloaded the Oracle VM Virtual Box software. We had an agreement that they wouldn't download or install any software on my computer, but would only surf the Internet, and perhaps shop. I'm confident, I didn't install that software. Can it be used by the "guest" account to copy anything from my Administrator's account? Can it be used to duplicate, copy, or spy into my files and programs? I'm not interested in keeping the Oracle software, ( although I apprecited your remarks about the way technology is heading nowadays with virtual machines ). Perhaps I would keep it, but I'm sharing my PC with someone else. So, if you think it would be safe for me to uninstall it, then that's what I'm going to do.....and I'll await your answer. Thanks again. You've been a big help..... aviation1972 

#4 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 5,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:37 AM

Posted 09 December 2016 - 01:35 AM

Safe to uninstall it.

To uninstall programs, go to Settings.....
  1. On the Start menu select Settings.
  2. Select System > Apps & features.
  3. Select the program, and then select Uninstall.
  4. Follow the directions on the screen.

Good Luck.

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  

fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

Microsoft gives you Windows, Linux gives you the whole house...

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

#5 orlbuckeye

orlbuckeye

• Members
  • 250 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:37 PM

Posted 09 December 2016 - 02:25 PM

I need help solving a mystery. On October 1, 2016 Oracle VM Virtual Box, version 4.3.12 was installed on my Windows 10 PC. I just noticed it today, December 8, 2016. It takes up 80.5 Mb of space. I have plenty of storage. So, that's not the problem. The problem is that I don't believe I downloaded and installed it, and I have no idea what it's doing on my PC. What function(s) is it performing? How can I find out? I want to uninstall it, but not if that will ruin my computer's operations. Only one other person has access to my PC, ( a family member ), and that is only as a "guest" account. I want to know whether or not they may have installed this, and if so, why? I don't want to ask them, ( obviously ). That's why I'm asking for your help here. Thank you very much.....  aviation1972

Well the easiest was to check it is goto Program and features in control panel and click on date column to sort by date. Look and see if you installed something on that day. If you did like alot of free software does when they ask question during an install you may have been asked do you want to install VB and you just clicked yes and it installed. You need to read every prompt when installed software you download, 

• Alienware 18 Intel Core i7 4810 QM 16GB DDR3
  • 18.4" (1920 x1080) 
  • 1 TB Samsung EVO MSATA SSD 1 TB WD 5400 RPM HD 750 GB WD 5400 RPM HD
  • Nvidia GT 860 GM SLI graphics
  • Windows 10 Pro + Surface Book i5 256gb SSD 8gb RAM DGPU

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users