Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No battery, or low battery?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 ray5450

ray5450

• Members
  • 457 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:00 PM

Posted 08 December 2016 - 11:04 PM

Suddenly, today, the battery charge icon (Windows 7 laptop) has a red X indicating as if I had physically detached the battery.  Afterward, I tried actually detaching it and then putting it back in, but no change. 

My question is, is it possible that a low or dead battery can be sensed as a detached battery?  I don't want to go buy a new battery and have it do the same thing if there is something wrong with the connection/connectors rather than the battery.  (Is there a way to find out for sure?)

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 kaljukass

kaljukass

• Banned
  • 291 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:00 PM

Posted 08 December 2016 - 11:55 PM

Typically, there are two possibilities
  1. Battery is old and cannot recharge no more (needed a new battery)
  2. the charger is damaged (it does not usually repairable)
Check if after removing the battery and then reconnect the charging indicator will indicate the charging or not.
If not, try another charger, if also not, try another battery. If also then will not work, is something wrong in the computer, the simplest is charging indicator problem.

Edited by kaljukass, 08 December 2016 - 11:59 PM.

#3 ray5450

ray5450
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 457 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:00 PM

Posted 09 December 2016 - 11:05 PM

Yes, that is more or less what I said, except, I do not know what you mean by "another charger".  I think that would have to be another laptop of the same model, which I do not have.  I know it is not the indicator because if I unplug the laptop, it really does turn off.  I think also if it was a charging indicator problem, it would still say a charge level between 0 and full, even if incorrect, but instead, it says that there is no battery detected at all, and therefore, does not show any charge level.  However, I have found a place where I can have the battery tested, so I will do that.  That should tell me something.

Thanks.

Edited by ray5450, 09 December 2016 - 11:15 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users