Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

WD SATA 500 GB HARD DRIVE LIFE EXPECTANCY

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Bull6791

Bull6791

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2016 - 09:29 PM

I wanted to know what is the life expectancy in years of WD SATA 500 GB hard drive. Also how do they measure reliability with MTBF
THANKS.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,550 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:51 PM

Posted 09 December 2016 - 03:46 PM

IMO..."life expectancy" and "hard drive" do not belong in the same thought process.  A hard drive may fail at any moment, any time...and a user might buy the same drive and use if for 10 years or so, with no problems.

Every hard drive is a crapshoot...that's the reality of using computers.  There is no reliable (IMO) way of asserting such a thing as "expected useful life" for a hard drive.

But...I will say that...a brand-new hard drive will have no warranty coverage beyond 3 years and some not even beyond 1 year.  I believe that's a strong message to those users who think that "tomorrow" will be like "today".

Louis

#3 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:51 PM

Posted 09 December 2016 - 04:28 PM

Good point hamluis, my self i just do the rounds on the net when it comes to finding out what lasts or doesn't on this topic,IBM hdd were a mess at one point

IBM's hard drive debacle grows https://techreport.com/news/3494/ibm-hard-drive-debacle-grows

Edit: fixed typo

Edited by shadow_647, 09 December 2016 - 05:58 PM.

#4 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,432 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:51 AM

Posted 09 December 2016 - 05:51 PM

Louis, at #2, makes valid points about the chances with any one hard drive. Any and all electronic equipment will eventually fail, and if you add in mechanical components, as in 'spinning rust' hard drives, it only becomes more certain. One brand new HD can fail straight out of the box, the next one to it off the production line can soldier on for ten years.

In general, electronic equipments have a relatively high rate of failure when brand new. Typically this falls to very low failure rates across their expected service life and the failure rate then starts climbing again - the bath tub shaped curve.

MTBF (Mean Time Between Failures) is calculated in part from the design parameters, from product experience, and from engineers' best guesses. At least it is usually engineers' guesses and not the sales department's !

The only defense against the possibility of a hard drive failure is data back ups. Back up your data regularly and religiously.

Chris Cosgrove

#5 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:51 PM

Posted 10 December 2016 - 10:27 AM

Hi

I will go one step further, since a Traditional hard drive is a combination of a mechanical and a electronic device I take the viewpoint that if I plan to use it within a short period I leave it on, otherwise if it will be over an hour for example I power down to save the mechanical parts of the entire computer. That would be cooling fans, Power supply fans & hard drives.

That also helps reduce dust build up on the CPU heatsink as well as save energy.

Good Luck

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users